Creationism vs Intelligent Design?

☭proletarian☭;2152678 said:
An agnostic I guess.

Fail.

He'd be an atheist, by definition. Gnosticism/agnosticism has nothing to do with whether one believes deity exists.

Get a fucking dictionary, people, this has all been explained numerous times.

I dunno, he might have a point.

Here is what Merriam Webster has to say about Agnostic

a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Yeah, Webster's a dictionary for children.

Agnostic:
(n) agnostic, doubter (someone who is doubtful or noncommittal about something)

(adj)agnostic (of or pertaining to an agnostic or agnosticism)

Used properly, as opposed to how illiterate buffoons keep using it (remember that many dictionaries first list the meaning of the word then how stupid people use it).

Theism: S: (n) theism (the doctrine or belief in the existence of a God or gods)

a- is a prefix meaning 'without'

Ergo, atheism = without a doctrine or belief in the existence of deity

In epistemology, which is what you illiterate fucks are trying to discuss, gnosticism (not to be confused with Gnosticism) refers to 'knowledge' or claims of knowledge. A gnostic claims to know- that is, to have absolute knowledge of something. An agnostic does not and might even claim absolute knowledge cannot be had.

Again:
theism/atheism: belief
gonsticism/agnosticism: claims of absolute knowledge

So you have four possibilities:

agnostic theism: believes in deity; does not claim absolute god-like knowledge

gnostic theism: claims to have absolute god-like knowledge of the existence of god

agnostic atheism: does not believe deity exists; does not claim absolute god-like knowledge (of course, there is always the issue of defining 'deity')

gnostic atheism: claims to have absolute knowledge of the non-existence of deity

All gnostics are fools

And this is what Merriam Webster says about atheism.

a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Now I'm totally confused. Perhaps atheism is a faith based belief afterall. :redface:

Well the courts determined that Atheism contained and/or promoted sufficient doctrine to rule that Atheism is a religion. This was after prisoners demanded to have their own Atheism meetings since the religious were having theirs.

LAW OF THE LAND

Court rules atheism a religion
Decides 1st Amendment protects prison inmate's right to start study group
August 20, 2005
© 2010 WorldNetDaily.com

A federal court of appeals ruled yesterday Wisconsin prison officials violated an inmate's rights because they did not treat atheism as a religion.
"Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.

The court decided the inmate's First Amendment rights were violated because the prison refused to allow him to create a study group for atheists.

Brian Fahling, senior trial attorney for the American Family Association Center for Law & Policy, called the court's ruling "a sort of Alice in Wonderland jurisprudence."

"Up is down, and atheism, the antithesis of religion, is religion," said Fahling.

The Supreme Court has said a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being. In the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the court described "secular humanism" as a religion.

More here:
Court rules atheism a religion

Note: Buddhism also reject any concept of a deity, but is nevertheless listed as one of the world's great religions.

Note: Buddhism also reject any concept of a deity, but is nevertheless listed as one of the world's great religions.
Devas:eusa_shhh:

Buddhism does have supernatural beliefs. That's kinda the whole part of Dharma, you know... the void and all that. Mahayanas pretty make make Siddhartha a God.

☭proletarian☭;2152896 said:

Buddhism does have supernatural beliefs. That's kinda the whole part of Dharma, you know... the void and all that. Mahayanas pretty make make Siddhartha a God.

So does Atheism have beliefs that are hard to swallow by billions. The doctrine of Atheism is that the eye witness testimony of hundreds of millions or billions of people can be rejected out of hand, and this entire universe and everything in it was just a matter of chance or luck of the draw at any given time.

WTF is the 'doctrine of Atheism'?

Just because you make shit up doesn't mean it has anything to do with reality, fox

So does Atheism have beliefs that are hard to swallow by billions. The doctrine of Atheism is that the eye witness testimony of hundreds of millions or billions of people can be rejected out of hand, and this entire universe and everything in it was just a matter of chance or luck of the draw at any given time.

First of all where the fuck are you getting those numbers?

Second anecdotal evidence is the least reliable evidence ever.

You can find lots of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens or seen aliens or bigfoot or nessie or whoever. People lie and are mistaken all the time.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof and the testimonies of whatever number you choose to pull out of thin air is not extraordinary proof.

Also atheism says nothing about how the universe began it says one thing and one thing only: There's no god.

You can find lots of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens or seen aliens or bigfoot or nessie or whoever. People lie and are mistaken all the time.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof and the testimonies of whatever number you choose to pull out of thin air is not extraordinary proof.

Also atheism says nothing about how the universe began it says one thing and one thing only: There's no god.

Christianity: 2.1 billion

Islam: 1.5 billion

Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

Hinduism: 900 million

Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

Buddhism: 376 million

primal-indigenous: 300 million

African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

Sikhism: 23 million

Juche: 19 million

Spiritism: 15 million

Judaism: 14 million

Baha'i: 7 million

Jainism: 4.2 million

Shinto: 4 million

Cao Dai: 4 million

Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

Tenrikyo: 2 million

Neo-Paganism: 1 million

Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

Scientology: 500 thousand
Major Religions Ranked by Size

Add all those up and you come up in the neighborhood of the estimated total of 6.8 billion people on Earth.

(And I didn't research it, but I'm guessing that Atheists are a small minority of those 1.1 billion listed as "Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist"

Add all those up and you come up in the neighborhood of the estimated total of 6.8 billion people on Earth.

(And I didn't research it, but I'm guessing that Atheists are a small minority of those 1.1 billion listed as "Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist"

Believing in something and actually experiencing it are two completely separate things.

Kids believe in the tooth fairy without ever meeting one.

Believing in something and actually experiencing it are two completely separate things.

Kids believe in the tooth fairy without ever meeting one.

But isn't it odd that kids grow out of their belief in a tooth fairy, usually all by themselves? Most finally ask (and get) from their parents or older siblings confirmation of what they already strongly suspect. Yet most don't outgrow a belief in God, nor do most come to suspect that He/it too is not real. More than 90% of Americans, for instance, believe in some form of deity.

I don't imagine everybody professing faith in a deity or other religious concepts has had an up close and personal encounter with a deity. But I can say that I am pretty darn sure that 99% of the folks who attend my fairly large church would say that they have had such an encounter and/or have witnessed the difference such encounters make in their lives and many others that they know and love.

And I know many many folks outside my immediate circle who claim and testify to such experience. And I can't believe my close or extended circle of experience is all that unique.

Atheists would have to be the most dogmatically fundamental and fanatical people on Earth to believe that their tiny group are the only people on Earth who aren't delusional or given to fairy tale nonsense. And unless they agree to be that, and with nothng more than their own faith in their own beliefs to go on, they would have to wonder why more than 92% of Americans, and probably a similar number world wide, do not agree with them.

Most Americans Believe in Higher Power, Poll Finds
by Jacqueline L. Salmon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 24, 2008; Page A02

Most Americans believe that angels and demons are active in the world, and nearly 80 percent think miracles occur, according to a poll released yesterday that takes an in-depth look at Americans' religious beliefs.

(This Story: Most Americans Believe in Higher Power, Poll Finds
Monday, June 23 at 2:30 p.m. ET: Pew Forum Survey on Religion in America
Pew Religious Survey)

The study detailed Americans' deep and broad religiosity, finding that 92 percent believe in God or a universal spirit -- including one in five of those who call themselves atheists. More than half of Americans polled pray at least once a day.

But Americans aren't rigid about their beliefs. Most of those studied -- even many of the most religiously conservative -- have a remarkably nonexclusive attitude toward other faiths. Seventy percent of those affiliated with a religion believe that many religions can lead to eternal salvation. And only about one-quarter of those surveyed believe there is only one way to interpret their religion's teachings.

"Even though Americans tend to take religion quite seriously and are a highly religious people, there is a certain degree of openness and a lack of dogmatism in their approach to faith and the teachings of their faith," said Gregory Smith, a research fellow at the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

More here:
Most Americans Believe in Higher Power, Poll Finds - washingtonpost.com

Last edited:
My kids are going to meet the Easter Bunny at brunch this Sunday. :D
easter-fun.jpg

Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But hey at one point nearly everyone in Greece believed in Zeus. Not the case anymore.

Although two can play this game. More than half the people on the planet do not follow your religion, are you really so deluded/arrogant to think you guys are right and everyone else is wrong.

Or do you base your belief on something other than opinion polls and logical fallacies?

Because if not I'd say you're a moron no matter how many other people do the same thing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back