Egypt: New Find Shows Slaves Didn't Build Pyramids

R

rdean

Egypt: New Find Shows Slaves Didn' t Build Pyramids

Egypt%20Pyramids1.jpg

One popular myth that Egyptologists say was perpetrated in part by Hollywood movies held that ancient Israelite slaves — ancestors of the Jewish people — built the pyramids. Amihai Mazar, professor at the Institute of Archaeology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, says that myth stemmed from an erroneous claim by former Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin, on a visit to Egypt in 1977, that Jews built the pyramids.

"No Jews built the pyramids because Jews didn't exist at the period when the pyramids were built," Mazar said.

there were no jews 4,000 years ago?

really? hmmmm... funny. the jewish calendar says its the year 5770.

*shrug*

...Counting from the supposed year of creation, not the year of Judaism's founding. Even if we were to consider Abraham (AS) a Jew, he lived some 3,000 years ago according to dates derived from the Masoretic Torah. Moses (AS) came over a millennium afterward; even then the Hebrews were prone to worshiping idols according to Exodus and Surah Ta-Ha.

Im sorry, but Abraham lived along time before 3000 years ago. 3000 years ago is more time of King David.

i saw a history channel program that speculated the Jews there were not slaves due to the villages and home sites of them that they have excavated... more like servants....but not what we of today would picture as a slave.

i saw a history channel program that speculated the Jews there were not slaves due to the villages and home sites of them that they have excavated... more like servants....but not what we of today would picture as a slave.

But do you believe for a moment that they were free to pack up and leave?

Whose Abraham?

Abraham lived approximately 3800 years ago. In other words, about 1500 years before the advent of Christianity, and more than two thousand before Mohammed was born.

Thus, the Jewish "version" of Abraham -- in which he is told by God that, through his son Isaac, he would father a people who will be chosen to receive His law and inherit the Holy Land -- was the only one existent for many tens of hundreds of years, during which time, it was carefully and lovingly transmitted from Jewish generation to Jewish generation, unchanged and uncontested, before different versions of his life and mission eventually came to be offered by others.

-------------------

Egypt has revealed newly discovered tombs more than 4,000 years old and says they belonged to people who worked on the Great Pyramids of Giza, presenting the discovery as more evidence that slaves did not build the ancient monuments. The mud-brick tombs were uncovered in the backyard of the Giza pyramids, stretching beyond a burial site first discovered in 1990 and dating to the 4th Dynasty (2575 B.C. to 2467 B.C.), when the great pyramids were built on the fringes of present-day Cairo.

-----------

Hope this atheist helped.

african american slaves also worked as servants, especially in the north. I think it might possible they had different kinds of slaves.

african american slaves also worked as servants, especially in the north. I think it might possible they had different kinds of slaves.

If they worked in the north as "servants", then they obviously weren't "slaves". Slaves are property, "servants" are working people with jobs.

*shrug*

I think most of the Pyramids were built over 7,000 years ago, Jillian.

Of course, this goes against that pesky Judeo-Christian Evangelical Calender that says the Earth was created round about the time of the establishment of the first Israeli state.

contract laborers? Who owe the company store?

The hebrews willingly went to Egypt to work. The bible is clear on that.

If the Hebrews were so willing then what's the deal with the 7 plagues to set them free? Isn't this where passover comes from? Or am I totally screwed up here?

If the Hebrews were so willing then what's the deal with the 7 plagues to set them free? Isn't this where passover comes from? Or am I totally screwed up here?

You got me on that. Perhaps they had not fulfilled their contract?
Maybe they owed a lot to the "company store"?

Maybe it is lies?

but according to the bible someone went down there first and then went back and talked the others into coming down as well.
Joseph? I forget who it was.
And it was Bondage I think not slavery.

In any case the bible is clear that they made their choice to go to Egypt.

Last edited:

*shrug*

I think most of the Pyramids were built over 7,000 years ago, Jillian.

Of course, this goes against that pesky Judeo-Christian Evangelical Calender that says the Earth was created round about the time of the establishment of the first Israeli state.

At Giza, south of the Sphinx, we are excavating remains of facilities for storage and production of fish, meat, bread, and copper that date to the middle and end of Dynasty 4, when the pyramids of Khafre and Menkaure were under construction. Three of the eight dates from samples taken here are almost direct hits on Menkaure's historical dates, 2532- 2504 B.C. The other five, however, range from 350 to 100 years older. Our radiocarbon dates from the site suggest that, like those from the pyramids, the dates on charcoal from the settlement scatter widely in time with many dates older than the historical estimate. The pyramid builders were likely recycling their own settlement debris.

Dating the Pyramids

But do you believe for a moment that they were free to pack up and leave?

Ollie...i personally do not believe they were free to go or could go, but i honestly do not know for certain...perhaps further archaeology and paleontology will explain this further, some day...

Forum List

Back