Crap idea...

I have an iPad pro and the fingerprint thing does not work worth a shit. If Apple can't do no one can.
Smart guns are a joke... And everyone knows it.
Nope...
Name one major manufacture even considering this gimmickry??
It's a new market so I couldn't care less. Have you purchased an IBM-pad recently? No, and you never will.
That there is not even one booth at shot show this year with the shit gimmicky pretty much says it all.
It's dead... Thankfully
What that says is the NRA is suppressing the Free Market, and they are.

There is no free market with this gimmickry, just nasty government control.

Les say they perfect it. What is wrong with the idea? If someone steals your gun they can't use it . And it can't be used against you .

What's the down side ?

Added cost with no real benefit. Let's take a look at the proximity systems, it basically uses an RF transmitter similar to a wrist watch, so in theory it can only be used by the owner. First major drawback is you have to maintain two batteries, one on the gun, one on the transmitter, what happens if you forget? Also if a bad guy manages to disarm you, you'd better to be able to run like hell so you can get out of range of the transmitter, so some really smart people might get a false sense of security, thinking the gun won't fire unless it's physically in their hand, can you say wrong answer? Reliable palm or fingerprint technologies are probably decades away.

When it come to a self defense firearm it's best observe the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid, simple machines are more reliable.
I have an easy fix for that. Should you want to fire the gun, you hold it, and it tests your DNA, using your own blood. If it doesn't match, there's not a chance.

That, or an implant. Your call.

The free market will decide
If it ever gets the chance. So far, it's not being allowed to be free. Anyone who tries to sell smart-guns gets death threats, and boycotted.
The reason is the shit doesn't work. I smell a rat with it's introduction, like government control.
No thanks, I will buy and sell real firearms that actually work...
It works just fine only,...............................................................................................................................................you don't want it to.
It must not work, no major manufacturers are even considering the horse shit technology.
I go to shot every year, the concept is repulsive to sportsmen, hunters and law enforcement personnel.

Home - Onsite - NSSF SHOT Show®
Enjoy the last of your Wild West days, they are soon to end.

And pigs are going to fly, the cows are coming home, monkeys will fly outta your butt and hell is going to freeze over.

Ok, a monkey may well fly outta your butt. What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business...who am I to judge.

The rest? I'm skeptical.

bear513 wrote: We have a finger print scanner at work to punch in, last year a guy lost part of his index finger so they had to rescan another finger.

Time to get another finger print scanner...

... if it's eatin' people's fingers.

Les say they perfect it. What is wrong with the idea? If someone steals your gun they can't use it . And it can't be used against you .

What's the down side ?

It will probably double the cost of guns and make them far more susceptible to breakdown.
Dude, some guns are 10's of thousands of dollars. And people still buy them. So what if a $400 gun becomes $800 dollars with "smart" technology? If that's what somebody wants, then what the hell do you care?

Fine, just don't try to mandate them. Choice is a good thing.

It's a new market so I couldn't care less. Have you purchased an IBM-pad recently? No, and you never will.
That there is not even one booth at shot show this year with the shit gimmicky pretty much says it all.
It's dead... Thankfully

The NRA, and people like you, refuse the let the Free Market work:

"It's not just a question of lack of demand," said Adam Winkler, a UCLA law professor who focuses on the Second Amendment and gun control. "There's very strong opposition to smart-gun tech in the gun world."

That's because a vocal contingent of gun owners see smart guns as a potential form of gun control. They've raised concerns, Winkler said, that if such guns gain a foothold, the technologies behind them could become a requirement for all guns, resulting in a ban on sales of traditional guns. Those fighting against smart guns need only point to a New Jersey law passed in 2002 called the Childproof Handgun Act. It mandates that three years after smart guns become available for sale anywhere in the country, Jersey gun dealers sell only smart guns.

Such concerns led to customer boycotts of gun manufacturers, including Colt and Smith & Wesson, when they pursued smart-gun technology. Gun dealers who have considered selling such firearms have been boycotted too. One Maryland dealer even faced death threats when he attempted to offer smart guns. Currently, there are no US gun dealers who stock smart guns."
Smart guns? Not at these big tech and gun shows - CNET

The fears of pussy gun-nuts over their deadly toys.

What's the down side ?

Added cost with no real benefit. Let's take a look at the proximity systems, it basically uses an RF transmitter similar to a wrist watch, so in theory it can only be used by the owner. First major drawback is you have to maintain two batteries, one on the gun, one on the transmitter, what happens if you forget? Also if a bad guy manages to disarm you, you'd better to be able to run like hell so you can get out of range of the transmitter, so some really smart people might get a false sense of security, thinking the gun won't fire unless it's physically in their hand, can you say wrong answer? Reliable palm or fingerprint technologies are probably decades away.

When it come to a self defense firearm it's best observe the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid, simple machines are more reliable.
In all reality the whole thing is absolutely unacceptable, piont and pull the trigger is all that's needed.

OKTexas: Here's the link...

Voices Against Violence: Kai Kloepfer

November 2, 2015 - In this epidemic of shootings, the country is looking for solutions, and CBS News is listening to a variety of ideas to end the bloodshed. In a series being called, "Voices Against Violence," CBS News is asking people to give their views on gun violence.

Kai Kloepfer was just 15 years old when 12 people were killed while watching a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" at an Aurora, Colorado movie theater in July 2012. Kloepfer is from Boulder, 45 minutes from where the massacre took place, and was shaken by the tragedy. "It was something that deeply impacted not only me, but the Colorado community as a whole," said Kloepfer.

voicessmart-guns-x-transferframe300.jpg

Kai Kloepfer working on his smart gun​

At the time, Kloepfer was preparing for the the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair and needed a project to enter the competition. Inspired by the shooting, he decided to focus on decreasing gun violence. During his research for the fair, he came across a startling statistic from the Children's Defense Fund. "I learned that every 30 minutes in the United States on average a child dies or is injured by a firearm," said Kloepfer.

voicessmart-guns-x-transferframe397.jpg

A plastic prototype of Kai Kloepfer's smart gun​

He has since spent the past three years developing smart gun technology that would prevent a gun from being fired by anyone other than the owner. The technology works by requiring fingerprint authorization for the gun to work. Only the fingerprint of the gun owner will unlock the firearm. "This means that unauthorized people -- such as children finding a firearm in their house, or teenagers looking to commit suicide -- are unable to access firearms that are owned by other people such as their parents," Kloepfer told CBS News.

Kloepfer currently has a plastic prototype of the firearm -- the next step is to actually start manufacturing the technology in a live metal firearm. "My dream for this technology is to have it in every gun store across the country." Kloepfer says the response he's gotten, from police officers to veterans to victims of gun violence, has been overwhelmingly positive. A self-proclaimed innovator who has worked on many other engineering projects, he says this one is the one that matters most to him. "When I started working on this, it was something that consumed almost every waking moment of my day. All in an effort to get this developed as fast as possible and get it to the point of having it out there saving lives."

MORE

Last edited:
I have an iPad pro and the fingerprint thing does not work worth a shit. If Apple can't do no one can.
Smart guns are a joke... And everyone knows it.
Keep in mind the touch feature in an iPad is a tiny fraction of the worth of the iPad. You think a thumbprint entry system at CIA headquarters ever craps out?
The feature is proven to be a failure, and no one wants it anyway. It's a ridiculous concept prone to inconsistency.
The whole thing needs to be kicked to the curb...
The free market will decide
If it ever gets the chance. So far, it's not being allowed to be free. Anyone who tries to sell smart-guns gets death threats, and boycotted.

:link:

It's dead... Thankfully

"It's not just a question of lack of demand," said Adam Winkler, a UCLA law professor who focuses on the Second Amendment and gun control. "There's very strong opposition to smart-gun tech in the gun world."
That's because a vocal contingent of gun owners see smart guns as a potential form of gun control. They've raised concerns, Winkler said, that if such guns gain a foothold, the technologies behind them could become a requirement for all guns, resulting in a ban on sales of traditional guns. Those fighting against smart guns need only point to a New Jersey law passed in 2002 called the Childproof Handgun Act. It mandates that three years after smart guns become available for sale anywhere in the country, Jersey gun dealers sell only smart guns.

Such concerns led to customer boycotts of gun manufacturers, including Colt and Smith & Wesson, when they pursued smart-gun technology. Gun dealers who have considered selling such firearms have been boycotted too. One Maryland dealer even faced death threats when he attempted to offer smart guns. Currently, there are no US gun dealers who stock smart guns."

I can see no good reason for this silliness, don't fix what's not broke. I only see a corrupt anti-gun lobby of control freaks behind this, then ultimately government control...

Anti-gun nutters get a life...

It's dead... Thankfully

I can see no good reason for this silliness, don't fix what's not broke. I only see a corrupt anti-gun lobby of control freaks behind this, then ultimately government control...

The "no" reason is a lot of dead people, many of them children, and a few cops, killed when they shouldn't have been. But I know, you couldn't care less how many die, as long as you can still play with your deadly toys...

It's dead... Thankfully

The "no" reason is a lot of dead people, many of them children, and a few cops, killed when they shouldn't have been. But I know, you couldn't care less how many die, as long as you can still play with your deadly toys...
Guns don't kill people... People kill people

Forum List

Back