Country Over Party

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
During the Watergate scandal and subsequent Senate investigation, the Republican Party stood steadfastly with Nixon, which was the right and honorable thing to do.

The Senate hearings were broadcast live and were must-see TV. It was as popular a show as the OJ trial would be later.

During the investigation it was revealed Nixon had stupidly recorded his conversations in the Oval Office. The Senate then subpoenaed those tapes.

Of course, Nixon fought tooth and nail to prevent the tapes from being aired and took it to the Supreme Court, and they overruled him.
Before turning the tapes over, Nixon edited them. There was an infamous "18 minute gap" on one of them.

Nevertheless, there was a recording of Nixon and his Chief of Staff, H.R. Haldeman, discussing a strategy to obstruct the FBI's probe into the Watergate break-in. It was a clearcut case of obstruction of justice.

That particular recording is what caused the Republicans to put the country above party and they signaled to Nixon they would now support an impeachment and conviction, forcing him from office.

Rather than subject himself to this indignity, Nixon resigned.

Today, the Trump cult in the House and Senate are confronted with the same choice. Party or country? Politics or the rule of law?

I sadly predict they will choose to remain hostage to Trump rather than faithful to the rule of law.

I sadly predict they will choose to remain hostage to Trump rather than faithful to the rule of law.
It's a fair assumption. The big difference is that the "base" back then didn't think it was literally "at war" with "Satan" and "saving America" from "evil".

The base, right now, is essentially feral. This is about far more than politics for these people. A much different inner-party environment than back then. These craven politicians simply don't have the balls to do what's right. Hell, in fairness, their lives could be in danger for doing that.

Below is the conversation between Haldeman and Nixon discussing how to get the CIA to stop the FBI's investigation which is getting into "productive areas".

Pat Gray: Director of the FBI.

Vernon A. Walters: Deputy Director of the CIA

Richard Helms: Director of Central Intelligence

E Howard Hunt: One of the White House "plumbers" who bugged the DNC HQ.

G. Gordon Liddy: A totally unapologetic White House "plumber" who bugged the DNC HQ. A zealot.

Mark Felt: Deputy Director of the FBI. What was unknown to everyone at the time, Mark Felt was the famous "Deep Throat" feeding information to Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward. Ironic, considering the role Nixon was assuming Felt would play in the coverup.

John Mitchell: Nixon's Attorney General. He was sentenced to 2 1/2 to 8 years in prison and was disbarred for his role in the coverup.

John Ehrilichman: White House Counsel and Assistant to the President for Domestic Affairs.

John Dean: White House Counsel. Was put in charge of the coverup, then turned witness against Nixon et al. during the Senate hearings. "We have a cancer on the presidency."

Chuck Colson: Special Counsel to the President. Nixon's hatchet man.

Maurice Stans: Chairman of the Committee to Re-Elect the President. Master of political dirty tricks ("ratfucking")

Haldeman: Now, on the investigation, you know, the Democratic break-in thing, we're back to the-in the, the problem area because the FBI is not under control, because Gray doesn't exactly know how to control them, and they have, their investigation is now leading into some productive areas, because they've been able to trace the money, not through the money itself, but through the bank, you know, sources the banker himself. And, and it goes in some directions we don;t want it to go. Ah, also there have been some things, like an informant came in off the street to the FBI in Miami, who was a photographer or has a friend who is a photographer who developed some films through this guy, Barker, and the films had pictures of Democratic National Committee letter head documents and things. So I guess, so it's things like that that are gonna, that are filtering in. Mitchell came up with yesterday, and John Dean analyzed very carefully last night and concludes, concurs now with Mitchell's recommendation that the only way to solve this, and we're set up beautifully to do it, ah, in that and that the only network that paid any attention to it last night was NBC they did a massive story on the Cuban...

Nixon: That's right.

Haldeman: ...thing.

Nixon: Right.

Haldeman: That the way to handle this now is for us to have Walters call Pat Gray and just say, "Stay the hell out of this this this ah, business here we don't want you to go any further on it." That's not an unusual development,

Nixon: Um huh.

Haldeman: and, uh, that would take care of it.

Nixon: What about Pat Gray, ah, you mean he doesn't want to?

Haldeman: Pat does want to. He doesn't know how to, and he doesn't have, he doesn't have any basis for doing it. Given this, he will then have the basis. He'll call Mark Felt in, and the two of them and Mark Felt wants to cooperate because

Nixon: Yeah.

Haldeman: he's ambitious.

Haldeman: Ah, he'll call him in and say, "We've got the signal from across the river to, to put the hold on this." And that will fit rather well because the FBI agents who are working the case, at this point, feel that's what it is. This is CIA.

Nixon: But they've traced the money to 'em.

Haldeman: Well they have, they've traced to a name, but they haven't gotten to the guy yet.

Nixon: Would it be somebody here?

Haldeman: Ken Dahlberg.

Nixon: Who the hell is Ken Dahlberg?

Haldeman: He's ah, he gave $25,000 in Minnesota and ah, the check went directly in to this, to this guy Barker.

Nixon: Maybe he's a bum.

Nixon: He didn't get this from the committee though, from Stans.

Haldeman: Yeah. It is. It is. It's directly traceable and there's some more through some Texas people in that went to the Mexican bank which they can also trace to the Mexican bank, they'll get their names today. And (pause)

Nixon: Well, I mean, ah, there's no way. I'm just thinking if they don't cooperate, what do they say? They they, they were approached by the Cubans. That's what Dahlberg has to say, the Texans too. Is that the idea?

Haldeman: Well, if they will. But then we're relying on more and more people all the time. That's the problem. And ah, they'll stop if we could, if we take this other step.

Nixon: All right. Fine.

Haldeman: And, and they seem to feel the thing to do is get them to stop?

Nixon: Right, fine.

Haldeman: They say the only way to do that is from White House instructions. And it's got to be to Helms and, ah, what's his name? Walters.

Nixon: Walters.

Haldeman: And the proposal would be that Ehrlichman (coughs) and I call them in

Nixon: All right, fine.

Haldeman: and say, ah

Nixon: How do you call him in, I mean you just, well, we protected Helms from one hell of a lot of things.

Haldeman: That's what Ehrlichman says.

Nixon: Of course, this is a, this is a Hunt, you will-that will uncover a lot of things. You open that scab there's a hell of a lot of things and that we just feel that it would be very detrimental to have this thing go any further. This involves these Cubans, Hunt, and a lot of hanky-panky that we have nothing to do with ourselves. Well what the hell, did Mitchell know about this thing to any much of a degree.

Haldeman: I think so. I don't think he knew the details, but I think he knew.

Nixon: He didn't know how it was going to be handled though, with Dahlberg and the Texans and so forth? Well who was the asshole that did? (Unintelligible) Is it Liddy? Is that the fellow? He must be a little nuts.

Haldeman: He is.

Nixon: I mean he just isn't well screwed on is he? Isn't that the problem?

Haldeman: No, but he was under pressure, apparently, to get more information, and as he got more pressure, he pushed the people harder to move harder on

Nixon: Pressure from Mitchell?

Haldeman: Apparently.

Nixon: Oh, Mitchell, Mitchell was at the point that you made on this, that exactly what I need from you is on the

Haldeman: Gemstone, yeah.

Nixon: All right, fine, I understand it all. We won't second-guess Mitchell and the rest. Thank God it wasn't Colson.

Haldeman: The FBI interviewed Colson yesterday. They determined that would be a good thing to do.

Nixon: Um hum.

Haldeman: Ah, to have him take a

Haldeman: An interrogation, which he did, and that, the FBI guys working the case had concluded that there were one or two possibilities, one, that this was a White House, they don't think that there is anything at the Election Committee, they think it was either a White House operation and they had some obscure reasons for it, non political,

Nixon: Uh huh.

Haldeman: or it was a

Nixon: Cuban thing-

Haldeman: Cubans and the CIA. And after their interrogation of, of

Nixon: Colson.

Haldeman: Colson, yesterday, they concluded it was not the White House, but are now convinced it is a CIA thing, so the CIA turn off would

Nixon: Well, not sure of their analysis, I'm not going to get that involved. I'm (unintelligible).

Haldeman: No, sir. We don't want you to.

Nixon: You call them in.

Nixon: Good. Good deal! Play it tough. That's the way they play it and that's the way we are going to play it.

Haldeman: O.K. We'll do it.

Nixon: Yeah, when I saw that news summary item, I of course knew it was a bunch of crap, but I thought ah, well it's good to have them off on this wild hair thing because when they start bugging us, which they have, we'll know our little boys will not know how to handle it. I hope they will though. You never know. Maybe, you think about it. Good!

Republicans are traitors to America.

They only care about Trump and the Republican party, they don't care about America at all. These trash rioted at the Capitol and beat cops over total lies.

The Republican party has been a complete and total failure for the past 30 years because they have no accountability at all, and can't take personal responsibility for anything. Every time they fuck up and destroy America they always have some bullshit excuse as to why its not their fault.

Bill Clinton gave us the Golden Age of Prosperity, Republicans try to steal the credit for that.
Bush inherited a balanced budget and blew that up and destroyed the budget, and he started 2 failed wars and then crashed the economy 7 years into his failed presidency, but all of that was the dems fault.
Trump blew up the deficit every year of his presidency and gave us 25% of our total debt, but never had a great economy and had weak low GDP growth, then he fucked up covid and incited a riot at the Capitol and stole Top Secret documents, but its all the democrats fault...

The republicans have a massive problem blaming everybody else for their failure and fuck ups, and that is why they are a total failure with no accountability.

Watergate was the first manufactured crisis by the Democrats and the Media. They took that to a whole new level when Donald Trump blew Hillary away in 2016. Country over Party? LOL. Everything the Democrats and their Media does undermines the country and divides the people.
You obviously know nothing about Watergate.

One single case of obstruction of justice was enough for the old school Republicans to realize the rule of law was more important than an imperial President. A man who believed "it isn't illegal if the President does it".

The base, right now, is essentially feral. This is about far more than politics for these people. A much different inner-party environment than back then. These craven politicians simply don't have the balls to do what's right. Hell, in fairness, their lives could be in danger for doing that.

Wow, talk about irony. The cognitive dissonance regarding the Bidens from the left and others(YOU) that voted for this anti-American, corrupt administration is off the charts.

Just like with Watergate, the coverup of a crime turned out to be worse than the crime itself.

Trump attempted to cover up his crime of theft by ordering the evidence of his theft to be deleted.

That should be more than enough for anyone to walk away from him.

But they won't.

Watergate was the first manufactured crisis by the Democrats and the Media. They took that to a whole new level when Donald Trump blew Hillary away in 2016. Country over Party? LOL. Everything the Democrats and their Media does undermines the country and divides the people.
There's a long history of Republican corruption and criminality; now we see Republicans putting party before country, to the detriment of the nation.

During the Watergate scandal and subsequent Senate investigation, the Republican Party stood steadfastly with Nixon, which was the right and honorable thing to do.

The Senate hearings were broadcast live and were must-see TV. It was as popular a show as the OJ trial would be later.

During the investigation it was revealed Nixon had stupidly recorded his conversations in the Oval Office. The Senate then subpoenaed those tapes.

Of course, Nixon fought tooth and nail to prevent the tapes from being aired and took it to the Supreme Court, and they overruled him.
Before turning the tapes over, Nixon edited them. There was an infamous "18 minute gap" on one of them.

Nevertheless, there was a recording of Nixon and his Chief of Staff, H.R. Haldeman, discussing a strategy to obstruct the FBI's probe into the Watergate break-in. It was a clearcut case of obstruction of justice.

That particular recording is what caused the Republicans to put the country above party and they signaled to Nixon they would now support an impeachment and conviction, forcing him from office.

Rather than subject himself to this indignity, Nixon resigned.

Today, the Trump cult in the House and Senate are confronted with the same choice. Party or country? Politics or the rule of law?

that reminds me of whats happening with joe biden right now,,

There's a long history of Republican corruption and criminality; now we see Republicans putting party before country, to the detriment of the nation.
your premise is a lie,,,

thats the dems doing it,,

Below is the conversation between Haldeman and Nixon discussing how to get the CIA to stop the FBI's investigation which is getting into "productive areas".

Pat Gray: Director of the FBI.

Vernon A. Walters: Deputy Director of the CIA

Richard Helms: Director of Central Intelligence

E Howard Hunt: One of the White House "plumbers" who bugged the DNC HQ.

G. Gordon Liddy: A totally unapologetic White House "plumber" who bugged the DNC HQ. A zealot.

Mark Felt: Deputy Director of the FBI. What was unknown to everyone at the time, Mark Felt was the famous "Deep Throat" feeding information to Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward. Ironic, considering the role Nixon was assuming Felt would play in the coverup.

John Mitchell: Nixon's Attorney General. He was sentenced to 2 1/2 to 8 years in prison and was disbarred for his role in the coverup.

John Ehrilichman: White House Counsel and Assistant to the President for Domestic Affairs.

John Dean: White House Counsel. Was put in charge of the coverup, then turned witness against Nixon et al. during the Senate hearings. "We have a cancer on the presidency."

Chuck Colson: Special Counsel to the President. Nixon's hatchet man.

Maurice Stans: Chairman of the Committee to Re-Elect the President. Master of political dirty tricks ("ratfucking")

Haldeman: Now, on the investigation, you know, the Democratic break-in thing, we're back to the-in the, the problem area because the FBI is not under control, because Gray doesn't exactly know how to control them, and they have, their investigation is now leading into some productive areas, because they've been able to trace the money, not through the money itself, but through the bank, you know, sources the banker himself. And, and it goes in some directions we don;t want it to go. Ah, also there have been some things, like an informant came in off the street to the FBI in Miami, who was a photographer or has a friend who is a photographer who developed some films through this guy, Barker, and the films had pictures of Democratic National Committee letter head documents and things. So I guess, so it's things like that that are gonna, that are filtering in. Mitchell came up with yesterday, and John Dean analyzed very carefully last night and concludes, concurs now with Mitchell's recommendation that the only way to solve this, and we're set up beautifully to do it, ah, in that and that the only network that paid any attention to it last night was NBC they did a massive story on the Cuban...

Nixon: That's right.

Haldeman: ...thing.

Nixon: Right.

Haldeman: That the way to handle this now is for us to have Walters call Pat Gray and just say, "Stay the hell out of this this this ah, business here we don't want you to go any further on it." That's not an unusual development,

Nixon: Um huh.

Haldeman: and, uh, that would take care of it.

Nixon: What about Pat Gray, ah, you mean he doesn't want to?

Haldeman: Pat does want to. He doesn't know how to, and he doesn't have, he doesn't have any basis for doing it. Given this, he will then have the basis. He'll call Mark Felt in, and the two of them and Mark Felt wants to cooperate because

Haldeman: he's ambitious.

Haldeman: Ah, he'll call him in and say, "We've got the signal from across the river to, to put the hold on this." And that will fit rather well because the FBI agents who are working the case, at this point, feel that's what it is. This is CIA.

Nixon: But they've traced the money to 'em.

Haldeman: Well they have, they've traced to a name, but they haven't gotten to the guy yet.

Nixon: Would it be somebody here?

Haldeman: Ken Dahlberg.

Nixon: Who the hell is Ken Dahlberg?

Haldeman: He's ah, he gave $25,000 in Minnesota and ah, the check went directly in to this, to this guy Barker.

Nixon: Maybe he's a bum.

Nixon: He didn't get this from the committee though, from Stans.

Haldeman: Yeah. It is. It is. It's directly traceable and there's some more through some Texas people in that went to the Mexican bank which they can also trace to the Mexican bank, they'll get their names today. And (pause)

Nixon: Well, I mean, ah, there's no way. I'm just thinking if they don't cooperate, what do they say? They they, they were approached by the Cubans. That's what Dahlberg has to say, the Texans too. Is that the idea?

Haldeman: Well, if they will. But then we're relying on more and more people all the time. That's the problem. And ah, they'll stop if we could, if we take this other step.

Nixon: All right. Fine.

Haldeman: And, and they seem to feel the thing to do is get them to stop?

Nixon: Right, fine.

Haldeman: They say the only way to do that is from White House instructions. And it's got to be to Helms and, ah, what's his name? Walters.

Nixon: Walters.

Haldeman: And the proposal would be that Ehrlichman (coughs) and I call them in

Nixon: All right, fine.

Haldeman: and say, ah

Nixon: How do you call him in, I mean you just, well, we protected Helms from one hell of a lot of things.

Haldeman: That's what Ehrlichman says.

Nixon: Of course, this is a, this is a Hunt, you will-that will uncover a lot of things. You open that scab there's a hell of a lot of things and that we just feel that it would be very detrimental to have this thing go any further. This involves these Cubans, Hunt, and a lot of hanky-panky that we have nothing to do with ourselves. Well what the hell, did Mitchell know about this thing to any much of a degree.

Haldeman: I think so. I don't think he knew the details, but I think he knew.

Nixon: He didn't know how it was going to be handled though, with Dahlberg and the Texans and so forth? Well who was the asshole that did? (Unintelligible) Is it Liddy? Is that the fellow? He must be a little nuts.

Haldeman: He is.

Nixon: I mean he just isn't well screwed on is he? Isn't that the problem?

Haldeman: No, but he was under pressure, apparently, to get more information, and as he got more pressure, he pushed the people harder to move harder on

Nixon: Pressure from Mitchell?

Haldeman: Apparently.

Nixon: Oh, Mitchell, Mitchell was at the point that you made on this, that exactly what I need from you is on the

Haldeman: Gemstone, yeah.

Nixon: All right, fine, I understand it all. We won't second-guess Mitchell and the rest. Thank God it wasn't Colson.

Haldeman: The FBI interviewed Colson yesterday. They determined that would be a good thing to do.

Haldeman: Ah, to have him take a

Haldeman: An interrogation, which he did, and that, the FBI guys working the case had concluded that there were one or two possibilities, one, that this was a White House, they don't think that there is anything at the Election Committee, they think it was either a White House operation and they had some obscure reasons for it, non political,

Nixon: Uh huh.

Haldeman: or it was a

Nixon: Cuban thing-

Haldeman: Cubans and the CIA. And after their interrogation of, of

Nixon: Colson.

Haldeman: Colson, yesterday, they concluded it was not the White House, but are now convinced it is a CIA thing, so the CIA turn off would

Nixon: Well, not sure of their analysis, I'm not going to get that involved. I'm (unintelligible).

Haldeman: No, sir. We don't want you to.

Nixon: You call them in.

Nixon: Good. Good deal! Play it tough. That's the way they play it and that's the way we are going to play it.

Haldeman: O.K. We'll do it.

Nixon: Yeah, when I saw that news summary item, I of course knew it was a bunch of crap, but I thought ah, well it's good to have them off on this wild hair thing because when they start bugging us, which they have, we'll know our little boys will not know how to handle it. I hope they will though. You never know. Maybe, you think about it. Good!
Voting for Republicans for president, the definition of insanity.

Wow, talk about irony. The cognitive dissonance regarding the Bidens from the left and others(YOU) that voted for this anti-American, corrupt administration is off the charts.
There has been no administration more corrupt than the Trump administration. All you have on Biden are innuendos and smears.

If you wish, I can provide you the evidence of just how swampy Trump's administration was.

Also, I am not a Biden voter. I voted for the Libertarian. I used to be a straight Republican ticket voter. But nowadays the Libertarians are more closely aligned to my beliefs than the organization formerly known as the Republican Party.

That should tell you something since I consider the Libertarians to be pretty damned wacky.

I don't vote for the major parties. I consider the federal debt to be the greatest threat to our national security and our economy and both major parties are driving us at warp speed toward financial destruction.

Just like with Watergate, the coverup of a crime turned out to be worse than the crime itself.

Trump attempted to cover up his crime of theft by ordering the evidence of his theft to be deleted.

That should be more than enough for anyone to walk away from him.

But they won't.
you have it backwards,,

its joe biden using the DOJ to attack trump for what he was actually doing,,

your premise is a lie,,,

thats the dems doing it,,

Much like indoctrinated North Koreans, Democrats will NEVER see their party as a problem. Protecting the Party and the ideology at all costs has been ingrained in them since grade school.

There has been no administration more corrupt than the Trump administration. All you have on Biden are innuendos and smears.

If you wish, I can provide you the evidence of just how swampy Trump's administration was.

Also, I am not a Biden voter. I voted for the Libertarian. I used to be a straight Republican ticket voter. But nowadays the Libertarians are more closely aligned to my beliefs than the organization formerly known as the Republican Party.

That should tell you something since I consider the Libertarians to be pretty damned wacky.

I don't vote for the major parties. I consider the federal debt to be the greatest threat to our national security and our economy and both major parties are driving us at warp speed toward financial destruction.
did trump use the DOJ to secretly give his son immunity for his crimes is a sweetheart plea deal??

no that was joe biden,,

Forum List

Back