Could we expell Texas?

Sweet Willy

Rookie
May 20, 2009
The Texas secession question got me thinking, what about the opposite? Can the US expell a state, like Texas? Not that it's a good idea at all, about as good as secession, but what if we decided that we wanted to cut some state loose? Could we do it? Maybe we decided we needed a Mexico buffer region where the immigration dispute could be handled by a less divided country. Let Texas play shoot 'em up at the Mexico border and we can claim innocence. We'll send them a condemnation letter or threaten them sternly about it.

Can we do that? Expell a state?

No provision exists withint he constitution of the United States of America to allow for the removal of a state.

No provision exists withint he constitution of the United States of America to allow for the removal of a state.

What if you just ignored a state and stopped sending them assistance...in particular, this could be done to Hawaii.

Hell as far as I'm concerned other than highway funds the feds shouldn't be sending any state money.

Hell as far as I'm concerned other than highway funds the feds shouldn't be sending any state money.

Actually, I'm talking about the government starting an embargo and allowing any supplies to be shipped there.

Let's see....

Dealy Plaza, LBJ, Tom Delay, George W. Bush, Gunny,.....

Yea, I'm all for it!

I agree ... and that nutcase of a governor keep threatening secession to get support from the right wingers in his state.

Oh come on.

I've spent like a total of 2 weeks in Texas. Just the attitude there makes it feel like its own country.

Let em make it official.

How long do you really think it would last?

I bet 6 months, tops.

Oh come on.

I've spent like a total of 2 weeks in Texas. Just the attitude there makes it feel like its own country.

Let em make it official.

I bet 6 months, tops.
After all the governor's threats, he's asked for $11million from the US Government to rebuild the governor's mansion. What a hypocrite.

Oh come on.

Let em make it official.

I bet 6 months, tops.

I see mostly mental midgets populate this board these days...

If Texas became the republic it was from 1836-1845 it would:

1) Get to control NASA.

2) 35% of all domestic oil production and 45% of all natural gas production

3) About 90% of the Cinnabar production from which fissionable Uranium is extracted from, thus effectively shutting down the US nuclear power industry.

4) 75% of the Gasoline refining capacity of the US

5) 25% of the US Cotton production

6) 35% of US Beef production

7) The nation's 2nd largest port (Port of Houston, second only to Long Beach)

8) Ft Hood, Lackland, Randolf, Bergstrom, Dyess, Elsworth, Carson AFB's, San Angelo ,....essentially the Basic Training base of the US Air Force and it's personnel center, two STRATCOM bases with nuclear bombers, two major AF pilot training bases, The Defense Language Institute, Ft Hood a huge Army base, and Corpus Christi Naval base home of two Carrier battle groups.

9) The Alamo

10) The Dallas Cowboy Chearleaders.

Don;t think the US wants to lose Texas......

Oh come on.

Let em make it official.

I bet 6 months, tops.

1) Get to control NASA.

3) About 90% of the Cinnabar production from which fissionable Uranium is extracted from, thus effectively shutting down the US nuclear power industry.

8) Ft Hood, Lackland, Randolf, Bergstrom, Dyess, Elsworth, Carson AFB's, San Angelo ,....essentially the Basic Training base of the US Air Force and it's personnel center, two STRATCOM bases with nuclear bombers, two major AF pilot training bases, The Defense Language Institute, Ft Hood a huge Army base, and Corpus Christi Naval base home of two Carrier battle groups.

9) The Alamo

You do make decent points. However, do you really think that points 2-7 would be enough to pay for roads, welfare, points 1 & 8, etc. etc. etc.?

I doubt it.

Oh come on.

Let em make it official.

I bet 6 months, tops.

1) Get to control NASA.

9) The Alamo

Surely you can't believe that NASA would remain in Texas.
I doubt the 75% of oil production, too.

Oh come on.

Let em make it official.

I bet 6 months, tops.

1) Get to control NASA.

9) The Alamo

And as PJ pointed out, why is the governor asking for 11 mil if Texas is half as stacked financially as you point out?

Oh come on.

Let em make it official.

I bet 6 months, tops.

1) Get to control NASA.

9) The Alamo

You do make decent points. However, do you really think that points 2-7 would be enough to pay for roads, welfare, points 1 & 8, etc. etc. etc.?

I doubt it.

Absolutely yes. Texas would be energy independent. Able to feed itself, and a vibrant international economic force in it's own right. And with nuclear weapons and delivery vehicles a legit nuclear power.

And not so much as what Texas has but what Texas denies the US. Basically the US would be WITHOUT gasoline!!!! 75% of ALL gasoline in the US is refined.....IN TEXAS!!!! The rest...in Louisiana....

And hope you don;t like beef, you'd lose over one-third of it.....

Oh come on.

Let em make it official.

I bet 6 months, tops.

1) Get to control NASA.

9) The Alamo

Surely you can't believe that NASA would remain in Texas.
I doubt the 75% of oil production, too.

Permian Basin and offshore Gulf oil production is all leased from Texas. roughly 35% of the lower 48's oils is pumped in Texas. And nearly 100% of Alaska oil is exported to Japan.....unrefinable by US refineries.

Texas refines 75% of the nation's gasoline. Most of the rest in Louisiana.

US would come to a halt without Texas gasoline.

Texas could feed itself (18% of the nation's agricultural production), be energy independent, control nuclear weapons, own two carrier battle groups and deny the US gasoline, and deny the Air Force two vital pilot training bases, and it's personnel center and basic training base.

And yes, NASA facilities would remain. 100% of ALL astronaut training is conducted in NASA. The US Space program would immediately END....

Last edited:
Oh come on.

Let em make it official.

I bet 6 months, tops.

1) Get to control NASA.

9) The Alamo

And as PJ pointed out, why is the governor asking for 11 mil if Texas is half as stacked financially as you point out?

The Gov will get whatever money anyone is willing to give them. But push come to shove, Texas is situated much better than California to be a vibrant, independent nation. The US needs Texas a lot more than Texas needs the US.

1) Get to control NASA.

9) The Alamo

The Gov will get whatever money anyone is willing to give them. But push come to shove, Texas is situated much better than California to be a vibrant, independent nation. The US needs Texas a lot more than Texas needs the US.

Everything you say looks real good on paper doesnt it?

1. Do you really think that the American government would just let Texas waltz off with 2 carrier groups, not to mention the billions, if not trillions of dollars worth of other military equipment? And what about the non-Texan servicemen stationed there and on every other military installation in Texas? Do you expect that they would remain in Texas given their vows to defend AMERICA? Now apply the same logic to Nasa. Then consider the billions of dollars it would take to train Texans (if the man-power is available) to replace every American serviceman. Texas would be broke before you could say "Yee-Haw".

Talk about mental midgets :clap2:

2. Granted, Texas would put a gasoline squeeze on American oil consumption. However, do you really think that it would be that huge of a deal to spend the $ required to build refineries capable of refining Alaskan oil?

3. Agriculture. Sorry dude, Texas wouldnt matter. We'd just have to cut down on the amount of food the American Government sends out as foreign aid. Theres a reason why the Mid-West is called the Bread Basket of the World there sonny.

Sorry, but your "America needs Texas more than Texas needs America" theory just doesnt hold water.

The Texas secession question got me thinking, what about the opposite? Can the US expell a state, like Texas? Not that it's a good idea at all, about as good as secession, but what if we decided that we wanted to cut some state loose? Could we do it? Maybe we decided we needed a Mexico buffer region where the immigration dispute could be handled by a less divided country. Let Texas play shoot 'em up at the Mexico border and we can claim innocence. We'll send them a condemnation letter or threaten them sternly about it.

Can we do that? Expell a state?

Good Question. One could make an argument that such is possible using the same format that was used to enter a State in the Union. However I suspect such an action would be contested and the Supreme Court would get involved.

Of Course politically if some action were taken to expel a State they would probably leave on their own given the level of Animosity involved in such an action.

Forum List

Back