Could Palin Win Iowa? Poll Indicates “Yes”

Don't agree there - but I understand the point you are attempting to make...

I'm kinda curious, realistically how does Romney fight a Palin bid for the nomination?

I think with the way the GOP primaries work in the early states, Sarah's Tea Party support, and the general distaste people have for Romney in several key GOP circles, I just don't see him beating her.

He might, just might, be able to drag it out like he did with McCain. But if he does that he's toast for any future bid.

I think Sarah Palin represents the single most perplexing issue for the GOP and DNC at this moment in time. The GOP leadership has to know that she can have the nomination if she wants it thanks to the Tea Party. And they have to know that fighting her undermines the surge they're getting from the Tea Party. The DNC is hoping that she's still as unpopular with the moderates and independents as she was in 2008.

Personally, I think that if Sarah has any brains whatsoever she'll flirt with a run, but stay out. She can stand to make a boatload of money by staying out of the race while keeping her position as a major player in the GOP. Running for the Oval Office represents a pay cut and a real risk of being tossed back out in the cold.

I'm kinda curious, realistically how does Romney fight a Palin bid for the nomination?

I think with the way the GOP primaries work in the early states, Sarah's Tea Party support, and the general distaste people have for Romney in several key GOP circles, I just don't see him beating her.

He might, just might, be able to drag it out like he did with McCain. But if he does that he's toast for any future bid.

I think Sarah Palin represents the single most perplexing issue for the GOP and DNC at this moment in time. The GOP leadership has to know that she can have the nomination if she wants it thanks to the Tea Party. And they have to know that fighting her undermines the surge they're getting from the Tea Party. The DNC is hoping that she's still as unpopular with the moderates and independents as she was in 2008.

Personally, I think that if Sarah has any brains whatsoever she'll flirt with a run, but stay out. She can stand to make a boatload of money by staying out of the race while keeping her position as a major player in the GOP. Running for the Oval Office represents a pay cut and a real risk of being tossed back out in the cold.

Much like McCain, Romney will seize the silent majority of moderate Republicans. Once it comes time to pull the lever in the primaries, Romney will grab the center and pull ahead of Palin

It is ridiculous to speculate on something as big as that this far out from the event. The political climate is going to shift dramatically over the next 4 months. Then, we will all have a chance to marinate in it for a year before the Iowa caucus. That is way, way too long with too much change to say anything intelligent about it.

I don't dislike Palin. I think she has very good natural political instincts. I also think it takes more than that to be President. She needs to have actually done something (more). She had the opportunity when she was governor to complete that term and get re-elected. Had she done that, she would have been in the cat-bird seat. She didn't. She hasn't done anything that I can see to correct that. If Republicans nominate her, they would be nearly as bad as the Dems were when they nominated Obama.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

By being Haley Barber instead of Mitt Romney.

If Palin becomes president, we're all fucked up the ass with an oversized hot curling iron without lube. That is all.

Romney has the GOP establishment and funding - he is the front runner, of that I am absolutely certain.

There may be a deal in the works between he and Palin though.

Developing...

Romney has the GOP establishment and funding - he is the front runner, of that I am absolutely certain.

Developing...

The party establishment isn't what it used to be. Look at Murkoski primary defeat for an example of the inmates running the asylum.

Developing...

We'll see. I think the GOP Establishment doesn't have as much influence as they used to thanks to the Tea Party. I also doubt that Romney will be their first choice.

Romney fucked up big time last time around by letting Iowa get away from him and letting the fat fuck Huckabee ruin his chances.

Unless Romney is truly an imbecile he's not going to let that happen again.

Romney would be funny in a general. The Southern Baptists heads would explode having to choose between a black man and a Mormon.

True for many but the majority of them would still vote Romney.
You can't forget the honkey factor.

Developing...

We'll see. I think the GOP Establishment doesn't have as much influence as they used to thanks to the Tea Party. I also doubt that Romney will be their first choice.

___

You are quite correct there - which gives Palin a lot more influence - which drives some within the Republican establishment absolutely bonkers. Palin is staying true to the party for the most part though, and she will help fully unite the Tea Party movement with the Republican Party Machine - that is already happening in fact.
___

Could Palin Win Iowa? Poll Indicates “Yes” | Newsflavor

___

You are quite correct there - which gives Palin a lot more influence - which drives some within the Republican establishment absolutely bonkers. Palin is staying true to the party for the most part though, and she will help fully unite the Tea Party movement with the Republican Party Machine - that is already happening in fact.
___

Could Palin Win Iowa? Poll Indicates “Yes” | Newsflavor

The folks in the party establishment are right to be concerned. So far there's little indication that Sarah is any more popular outside the Right than she was in 2008, which isn't saying much. If she gains control of the Party, you could solidify the base of the GOP, but lose the moderates and independents. And without them, you just lose.

I don't doubt she'll work with the GOP to solidify the ties between the Tea Party and the GOP that are already there. The question is what's next for her? Will she be another GOP powerbroker like the leaders of the Christian Coalition? Will she run for office? Will she go on to some sort of political commentary like Rush, Sean, and Ann?

I've said before, I think that the nomination is probably hers if she wants it. But does she? She'll probably have more influence from outside the Oval Office than she would in it, plus she doesn't risk anything by staying on the outside of the game calling plays.

It's Romney's turn. The GOP almost always gives it to the guy whose turn it is.

Romney, the guy who on a primary campaign stop peeled the skin off his Kentucky fried chicken before he ate it, is going to be the GOP's next man-of-the-people. :lol:

Romney, the guy who on a primary campaign stop peeled the skin off his Kentucky fried chicken before he ate it, is going to be the GOP's next man-of-the-people. :lol:

If Mittens gets into the race, I'm sure that the Huckster will as well. No way he would not put up a fight against a Mormon, and I'm not sure how tough it will be on the other Southern Baptists. I'd speculate they'd put up an independent candidate.

If Mittens gets into the race, I'm sure that the Huckster will as well. No way he would not put up a fight against a Mormon, and I'm not sure how tough it will be on the other Southern Baptists. I'd speculate they'd put up an independent candidate.
i'd vote for Mitt over the huckster

She would probably guarantee that Obama would get relected if she was the Republican nominee.

Nominating Sarah Palin is not a guarantee that Obama will get anything. She is not the ideal person I would like to see replace him, but Obama's own election proved that in dire times just about anyone can be elected president. If things are ugly enough in 2012 and she sharpens her game by then she could very much defeat him. People also forget that in the 2012 election there will be an electoral vote shift in strong favor of red states due to Census reapportionment. Both the Democrats and the Republican establishment painted Reagan as a kook too and he defeated Carter and won 49 states in his reelection. Of course, a poll two years out from an election means next to nothing anyway.

Personally, I'd like to see someone like Mitch Daniels run.

Palin would be my ideal choice for 2012. I don't think Obama could beat her. And that's IF the Democrats don't give Hillary the nod to take Obama down herself.

And do you know a ticket that would make every Democrat instantly combust?

beck_palin.jpg

That ticket would
1) Turn America into the laughstock of the world
2) Could possibly (depends if they lasted 4 r 8 years) turn you into a third world country..

She would probably guarantee that Obama would get relected if she was the Republican nominee.

Nominating Sarah Palin is not a guarantee that Obama will get anything. She is not the ideal person I would like to see replace him, but Obama's own election proved that in dire times just about anyone can be elected president. If things are ugly enough in 2012 and she sharpens her game by then she could very much defeat him. People also forget that in the 2012 election there will be an electoral vote shift in strong favor of red states due to Census reapportionment. Both the Democrats and the Republican establishment painted Reagan as a kook too and he defeated Carter and won 49 states in his reelection. Of course, a poll two years out from an election means next to nothing anyway.

Personally, I'd like to see someone like Mitch Daniels run.

You guys under estimate Obama's campaign skills.

Forum List

Back