Costco's Profit Soars As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

So, I make about one trip to wallyworld per year. Funny how it always reminds me of why I do not shop there.

last time I was there I saw a very poor family buying a ton of clothes for their kids. I was thankful wondering how on earth they would have clothed their kids without the genius management at WalMart.

Yes they do...

But the true comparison is Sam's to Costco, not Wal-Mart...

We have Sam's card as well, but Costco has the higher quality merchandise, cleaner stores and their customers spend more...

In my area it's just the opposite.

Sam's has a cleaner store, better lit, and better stocked. I moved about 40 miles 10 years ago. In my old area, Costco was nicer. It just seems to be how old the store is.

I shop at both Sam's and Costco. 95% of the merchandise is identical in both stores. They clearly shop each other, because the prices are identical.

Right, so companies sell at cost. Right?

Did you perchance not make it into high school?

Most retail prices by margin. What this means, is they select a gross margin they need returned, then apply it to an item to determine the cost.

So if I have a pencil and I need a 1.2% margin, then I look at my costs.

Acquisition or material cost = $.35
Amortized Overhead = 25%
Margin = 1.2%

.35*126.2=44.17 rounded to 44 cents.

Almost all retail sells at fixed margin.

And yes, 1 to 3% margin IS the average for consumer retail.

Went to walmart recently. It is against my better judgement, but I went there anyway. Bought some groceries. Wanted a cut of meat. No butcher was anywhere you could see him. No help was available. So, what you have is an option. What is actual help worth. To me, a lot. Went to electronics. Just needed a printer cartridge. No one had a clue. Nor did they seem to care.
Then I looked around. If a bomb went off in that place, the average IQ of the city I live in would increase. Jesus, the clientel seemed to have just awakened. Scary.
Looked at the Wallyworld staff. They seemed to all wish they were somewhere else.
Went to the restroom. Came out of the restroom. Without using the restroom. Disgusting. No, not just dirty. DISGUSTING. Damn.
No person with actual brain activity would want to shop at wallyworld. Hell, Costco does not have a lot of staff on the floor. But they are a warehouse store. Not supposed to. But I can get more help at costco than at wallyworld. And the staff seems to be happy with what they are doing. And the place is CLEAN. And, when I look around at who is shopping there, I do not see a bunch of losers. They actually seem normal. And, the prices are better than wallyworld.

So, I make about one trip to wallyworld per year. Funny how it always reminds me of why I do not shop there.

So, you're a union thug lying about Walmart, then?

The days of high school drop outs scanning items for $40 an hour with triple time on Sunday are over. Americans are sick of being raped for the cost of food.

last time I was there I saw a very poor family buying a ton of clothes for their kids. I was thankful wondering how on earth they would have clothed their kids without the genius management at WalMart.
Ahh you mean the family with the the signs on their chests that said "we are very poor" so you could take a glance and know their income and net worth.

They are probably on some other forum posting they saw a halfwit at Walmart staring at them and were thankful that a stores like Walmart allow retards in to shop.

Ahh you mean the family with the the signs on their chests that said "we are very poor" so you could take a glance and know their income and net worth.

dear, they were not shopping on 5th Avenue they were shopping at Walmart for very basic and very very inexpensive clothing for their kids. Its safe to assume they shopped there because it was where they could afford to shop. Sorry

generally lower costs do mean lower prices. Its the beauty of capitalism. If you don't pass on the savings a competitior will and you'll go bankrupt. In the long run capitalism forces profits lower and lower until the weakest firms go out of business.

This is why intelligent people love capitalism so much!!

they sell as close to cost to possible; if they don't a competitor will undersell them and drive them into bankruptcy. Now even you can see the beauty of capitalism and how it made Americans the richest people in human history!

So they don't sell at cost. *They either do or they don't. Which is it?

Did you perchance not make it into high school?

Most retail prices by margin. What this means, is they select a gross margin they need returned, then apply it to an item to determine the cost.

So if I have a pencil and I need a 1.2% margin, then I look at my costs.

Acquisition or material cost = $.35
Amortized Overhead = 25%
Margin = 1.2%

.35*126.2=44.17 rounded to 44 cents.

Almost all retail sells at fixed margin.

And yes, 1 to 3% margin IS the average for consumer retail.

Did you make it past graduate school?

Putz, I wasn't talking to you. But gee wiz, thanks for the lesson in highschool algebra. What would you like to discuss next? How about electronic engineering? Differential Equations? Modern physics? Neurobiology? How about macro or micro econ? Maybe some discussion of Nash Equilibriums or Carnout ologololies?

Putz

dear, they were not shopping on 5th Avenue they were shopping at Walmart for very basic and very very inexpensive clothing for their kids. Its safe to assume they shopped there because it was where they could afford to shop. Sorry

Good thing they didn't worknfor walmart or they would have been buying cloths at the salvation army

Good thing they didn't worknfor walmart or they would have been buying cloths at the salvation army

Thank God we have WalMart so these people can afford to clothe their children and have enough left over to feed them. Thank God the people in China now have WalMart to sell to so they will no longer starve to death in the millions!

Liberals hate WalMart and China and apparently would be happy to see the Chinese go back to en masse liberal starvation.

I buy basic inexpensive clothes are Walmart, and can certainly afford to buy just about anywhere I want. Therefore it isn't safe to assume anything just because people are shopping at the place with the lowest prices.

Thank God the people in China now have WalMart to sell to so they will no longer starve to death in the millions!
You're doing it again, making irrational references to the Great Chinese Famine. Million of Chinese starved in a famine that went (generally) from 1958-1961.

China did not become an industrial export powerhouse until the 1980s, how did that make it so millions no longer starved to death?

Wait a minute....

I thought lolberals absolutely hated big box operations like Costco.

WTF just happened?
Nope. The sensation you are experiencing is simply that of a con trying to make sense of something that he does not understand. Happens a lot.

Wait a minute....

I thought lolberals absolutely hated big box operations like Costco.

WTF just happened?
Nope. The sensation you are experiencing is simply that of a con trying to make sense of something that he does not understand. Happens a lot.
Sorry, Buckwheat, but I've heard plenty of lolberals bitch and moan about Costco allegedly "killing the mom and pop store"....Plenty of 'em.

Went to walmart recently. It is against my better judgement, but I went there anyway. Bought some groceries. Wanted a cut of meat. No butcher was anywhere you could see him. No help was available. So, what you have is an option. What is actual help worth. To me, a lot. Went to electronics. Just needed a printer cartridge. No one had a clue. Nor did they seem to care.
Then I looked around. If a bomb went off in that place, the average IQ of the city I live in would increase. Jesus, the clientel seemed to have just awakened. Scary.
Looked at the Wallyworld staff. They seemed to all wish they were somewhere else.
Went to the restroom. Came out of the restroom. Without using the restroom. Disgusting. No, not just dirty. DISGUSTING. Damn.
No person with actual brain activity would want to shop at wallyworld. Hell, Costco does not have a lot of staff on the floor. But they are a warehouse store. Not supposed to. But I can get more help at costco than at wallyworld. And the staff seems to be happy with what they are doing. And the place is CLEAN. And, when I look around at who is shopping there, I do not see a bunch of losers. They actually seem normal. And, the prices are better than wallyworld.

So, you're a union thug lying about Walmart, then?

The days of high school drop outs scanning items for $40 an hour with triple time on Sunday are over. Americans are sick of being raped for the cost of food.
Typical con statement. If you do not like Walyworld, you must be a union thug. Funny. Never belonged to a union, me poor ignorant con. Just do not like the place. Because, as I said, when I look around, it appears that there is no intelligent life. And there you are, just to prove the point.

Forum List

Back