Costco's Profit Soars As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Republicans hate this --- Costco pays a little more than the food stamp companies like Walmart -- well OK, a lot more.

Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

The Huffington Post
05/30/2013

At a time when other retailers are struggling to get people into stores, Costco is enjoying a moment in the sun.
The big box giant's profit jumped 19 percent to $459 million last quarter, thanks in part to the company’s efforts to offer discounts to lure more members, according to Bloomberg. The company was able to offer those discounts and boost its profits while paying its workers a decent wage, a claim many of Costco’s competitors can’t make.

Nor can Costco's competitors claim growth quite like the wholesale retailer. Walmart’s sales suffered last quarter as shoppers struggled with a delay in their tax refund checks and a payroll tax hike. The company’s Sam’s Club unit, which is comparable to Costco, contended with similar obstacles in 2012.

487986_552156294806240_1574691154_n.jpg

What a terrible guy.

I seriously can't shop at Costco. Their home, and lawn/gardeng items are just too expensive. The only thing I really like is the Kirland Lavendar laundry detergent and fabric softener, but you can get it from Wally World under a different brand name for half the price. It's definitely yuppie discount shopping at Costco. But, while I may have been yuppie for a bit, I'm not stupid. I did buy a laptop there and felt like I got a good deal, then I looked here in KY where things tend to be a bit cheaper anyway and the local Office Depot of whatever it is called had it for less.

They do have some lovely cashmere sweaters in the winter, though!~

Last edited:
Republicans hate this --- Costco pays a little more than the food stamp companies like Walmart -- well OK, a lot more.

The Huffington Post
05/30/2013

At a time when other retailers are struggling to get people into stores, Costco is enjoying a moment in the sun.
The big box giant's profit jumped 19 percent to $459 million last quarter, thanks in part to the company’s efforts to offer discounts to lure more members, according to Bloomberg. The company was able to offer those discounts and boost its profits while paying its workers a decent wage, a claim many of Costco’s competitors can’t make.

Nor can Costco's competitors claim growth quite like the wholesale retailer. Walmart’s sales suffered last quarter as shoppers struggled with a delay in their tax refund checks and a payroll tax hike. The company’s Sam’s Club unit, which is comparable to Costco, contended with similar obstacles in 2012.

link to Republicans " hating this" ?

:link:

You apparently aren't aware (Surprise! Surprise!) that most of the executive leadership of Walmart are so-called liberal Democrats. :uhoh3:

According to Right wing Math this guy shoulda jacked his prices through the roof and the free market would've determined ppl go to other places and Costco goes out of business. The cost of higher wages gets pushed onto the customer right?

W.R.O.N.G.

The Huffington Post
05/30/2013

I realize many, possibly most Republicans are search engine challenged but thanks for asking anyway -- next time ask me something hard or-----or if you're capable, get off your intellectual ass and do it yourself.

House Republicans Vote to Keep Millions in Poverty by Refusing to Raise the Minimum Wage

The Huffington Post
05/30/2013

I realize many, possibly most Republicans are search engine challenged but thanks for asking anyway -- next time ask me something hard or-----or if you're capable, get off your intellectual ass and do it yourself.

House Republicans Vote to Keep Millions in Poverty by Refusing to Raise the Minimum Wage

Lmao at you link.... You liberals are a funny bunch. I so love your brain farts....

@ Star.

Whenever someone asks you for a link. Don't go searching because as soon as you post it, they'll ask for more and more and more

@ Star.

Whenever someone asks you for a link. Don't go searching because as soon as you post it, they'll ask for more and more and more

doubtful...because there is no point to what he posted..
what does he expect the people here to do, wail about how UNFAIR?

@ Star.

When you quote from a copyrighted source a link is requred. Yeah, I'd like to see him banned too, but I won't bait him into it as you have done.

@ Star.

When you quote from a copyrighted source a link is requred. Yeah, I'd like to see him banned too, but I won't bait him into it as you have done.

They said "republicans hate this" that was not a quote from copyrighted material then someone asked for a link to "republicans hate this"

I doubt seriously their profits are becasue they pay better then walmart

costco profits are better becasue they sell a better quality and type of product.

Last edited:

The Huffington Post
05/30/2013

that doesn't prove your assertions about republicans.

stop lying. thank you.

If their model is successful.. good for them.. that is what business is all about

And if WalMart beats them.. still.. good for them too

It is not about favorites.. it is about the freedom of business to do what they want and succeed or fail all on their own because of those decisions and practices

Forum List

Back