Cosby foots college bills for top grads

N

NewGuy

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/07/08/cosby.students.ap/index.html

SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts (AP) -- Comedian Bill Cosby, who recently said black children are "going nowhere" because they don't know how to read and write, is paying for the college education of two top high school graduates who support themselves.

Cosby, who lives in Shelburne, read a story in The Republican of Springfield about Loren M. Wilder and Jimmy L. Hester, who are also black. They went to three colleges in a tour arranged by Cosby, and selected Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia after visiting the campus on Tuesday.

"This is all about your careers, your lives," Cosby told the teenagers as they traveled with him on his private jet, The Republican reported for Thursday editions. "The more you study, the better you do now, the more will open up to you later."

Wilder was 14 when his mother was jailed for dealing drugs, and Hester left home at 15 after years of moving around and fighting with his mother.

Both moved from place to place before getting an apartment together this winter with another student from Putnam Vocational Technical High School.

Cosby was scheduled to honor a dozen high school students and graduates, including Hester and Wilder, on Thursday at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

"Fifty percent of African-American males drop out of high school. We're talking epidemic here," said Cosby, who has recently drawn both praise and criticism for his strongly-worded comments. "You've got kids who never get told how important it is to study. They've got the designer shirt, but no one's telling them to study. People have to start seeing the light."

"So to find two young men whose values are on the right side, it's refreshing," he added.

Hell, I wish there were more kids like those two.... working their asses off to get ahead instead of waiting for the GOVAMINT to give them a job or handout! God bless Bill for recognizing their hard work!

Originally posted by freeandfun1
Hell, I wish there were more kids like those two.... working their asses off to get ahead instead of waiting for the GOVAMINT to give them a job or handout! God bless Bill for recognizing their hard work!

I agree!

I was thrilled for the two, and pleased for Bill.

-In that order.

What do you think the reaction would be if a white guy had done the exact same thing for just white kids?

Originally posted by Big D
What do you think the reaction would be if a white guy had done the exact same thing for just white kids?

Nothing as long as he doesn't "advertise" it. A lot of wealthy white men help out less fortunate white kids. They just don't seek the publicity because of exactly what you are alluding.

Thumbs up to Cosby.

And a salute to two tenacious kids who refused to take a dive.

Originally posted by Big D

It wouldn't have had the same significance, since it no doubt wouldn't have been for the same reasons.

Originally posted by Said1
There are a lot of white kids who need a break, what's the big deal?
Ya there are alot of white kids who need a break, but if you tried to set up anykind of organization just for white kids then you will find out "what's the big deal".

Cosby can't help, because the teachers don't teach. No matter how good a student is, what are the chances that he figures out the correct answers to every subject every test, with dead beat teachers?

Here is Cosby's family: get all A's or else. Oh the teacher is a deadbeat ghetto ****** pothead that doesn't teach? No problem, I will just beat it out of you / into you. Then you will get all A's in school.

Cosby can't help, because the teachers don't teach. No matter how good a student is, what are the chances that he figures out the correct answers to every subject every test, with dead beat teachers?

Which teachers?

Here is Cosby's family: get all A's or else. Oh the teacher is a deadbeat ghetto ****** pothead that doesn't teach? No problem, I will just beat it out of you / into you. Then you will get all A's in school.

??????

Forum List

Back