Cooks who wear rings

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Maybe it's just me,but I refuse to eat any meal made by anyone that refuses to take their rings off. If my sister in law is preparing dinner, I always check her hands. Sometimes she has 4 rings on each hand...sometimes just her wedding ring. Problem is...have you ever taken your rings off to have them cleaned and saw all that gunk underneath? Now imagine dipping your hands, and those gunky rings, smearing around in a raw meatloaf, then her washing her hands afterwards, then preparing a salad. That gunk now has more company to harden and collect under the stones and in the stone clasps, etc. Washing hands is not going to remove it. It takes steam, an old toothbrush, etc to get that crap loose and all the germs and bacteria with it.

Tonight, I am watching Chopped. This woman has this multi cluster diamond ring on, sticking her hands in everything. She is glad I am not a judge because I would refuse to just taste it knowing that ring got dipped in raw food, then prepared, then spread on my plate with that ring on her hand.

Am I crazy? Persnickety? Or correct in thinking it's icky to cook with rings on?

i would not allow rings...or nail polish in my kitchen.

simple as that.

Maybe it's just me,but I refuse to eat any meal made by anyone that refuses to take their rings off. If my sister in law is preparing dinner, I always check her hands. Sometimes she has 4 rings on each hand...sometimes just her wedding ring. Problem is...have you ever taken your rings off to have them cleaned and saw all that gunk underneath? Now imagine dipping your hands, and those gunky rings, smearing around in a raw meatloaf, then her washing her hands afterwards, then preparing a salad. That gunk now has more company to harden and collect under the stones and in the stone clasps, etc. Washing hands is not going to remove it. It takes steam, an old toothbrush, etc to get that crap loose and all the germs and bacteria with it.

Tonight, I am watching Chopped. This woman has this multi cluster diamond ring on, sticking her hands in everything. She is glad I am not a judge because I would refuse to just taste it knowing that ring got dipped in raw food, then prepared, then spread on my plate with that ring on her hand.

Am I crazy? Persnickety? Or correct in thinking it's icky to cook with rings on?

NO you are not Gracie,food handling is often shocking and your point about RAW FOOD is very valid......I never eat food handed to me with medical gloves,it gives the wearer a false security that they are cleaner more often than not they are not.....very good points you raise here....Well Done..steve

A few years ago (actually, many years ago), some babies were dying. Newborns. They couldn't figure out how they were getting these staph infections, then dying. It finally came to light when they put two and two together....the nurses in the baby ward had those long fake fingernails and nail polish. Bacteria (fecal and other nasties) collect under fingernails. The nurses would wash their hands, but did they use a file to clean UNDER the nail bed? Nope.

Burgerking does not allow polish or rings. I know this because I worked at one many moons ago. They let you wear stud earrings but that was it. Married? They could wear the band only...and only if it had no stones.

Rings worn day in and day out get gunky underneath. Then those people prepare dinner WITH the rings on. And Breakfast. And lunch. And scratch. Or finger comb their hair. Wipe their butts. Sweep. Turn door handles. Lots of crevices and hidey holes UNDERNEATH and ABOVE rings. But from my experience...most don't even think about it. Well...I do.

SIL cooks a meal and it's ready to go and calls us in to the dinner table...I look at her hands. Usually, I get the "I forgot" when I point out she still has her whole jewelry box on her body. When that happens, I get up from the table and leave. I refuse to eat it.

You are being smart, in my opinion.

I remove all my rings when I cook and when I do dishes. I won't drink a glass of water with a lemon rind, in a restaurant, because I know the lemon was handled by a person and I don't know if the hands that held the appliance used to slice the lemon was clean.

I also won't eat in someones home, if the home is messy or dirty. I can't trust the cook to prepare food, sanitarily. :)

I'm a clean freak....:lol:

Last edited:
If you have gunk under your rings you have a hygiene problem far beyond food. I don't want you making me anything with or with out them.

damn....i cook...i wear two rings...all the time.....there is no gunk under my rings....i wash my hands often..shower etc...

forgive me sy...but when one has 10 cats....one is not a fucking clean freak....oday!

Hubby doesn't wear a ring. Neither do I. Our joints got too big. And I am pleased to say he is very clean. We both have to be, due to my immune system being so bad. The SIL though....she is just....dirty. No clue of hygene in the kitchen and food. She takes a raw chicken, chops it on the cutting board, flops it in the pan, then decides to make the salad on the same cutting board the raw chicken was on. Needless to say..I don't eat much of what she cooks. And I usually have to rewash the dishes after she does. I am constantly wiping off the counter, prep stations, handles of the fridge, faucet handles, drawer handles, etc. She has that raw chicken juice all over her hands along with the gunky underside of her rings and NEVER washes between each chore while cooking. 3 times she has given me salmonella where I puked all night. The last time was the last time for me. I do my own cooking now. But first I have to disinfect the kitchen. Even the seasoning bottles cuz those grubby hands handle those two.

Shudder.

damn....i cook...i wear two rings...all the time.....there is no gunk under my rings....i wash my hands often..shower etc...

forgive me sy...but when one has 10 cats....one is not a fucking clean freak....oday!

you should see my house.... yep, clean freak. :eusa_angel:

you should see my house.... yep, clean freak. :eusa_angel:

I would think you'd almost have to be, since you are in the food industry.

Forum List

Back