Cooks who wear rings

I only wear my wedding band when I cook, and I know there's nothing under there. I wash my hands 100 times while I'm cooking, because every time I touch the food, i have to wash them before I touch a different thing. If I taste the food, I wash the spoon before I dip it into the food again.

I don't like to eat at fast food restaurants because most of the workers are teens, and I know how nasty some teens can be.....they don't always wash their hands even when they go to the bathroom. They don't mind drinking out of the same bottle as someone else, and I've seen many young girls walk right out of the bathroom after they come out of the stall and go straight out without washing their hands....ewwwwww.

its not so much as "there is gunk" under a ring.... its all the nooks and crannies, the edges and crevices.... harbor bacteria. Its why i did not allow nail polish....the chipped edges of where they polish is....that edge harbors bacteria.

not everyone is as up on washing hands as the people in this thread.

But, what if the ring is the food?

il_fullxfull-193870164.jpg

sounds like everyone is a little obsessive with the hand washing thing

chances are whatever pathogen is going to get you

came from a long time before the food hit your counter

it is always best to have good hygiene when cooking

but of most importance is making sure your foods

are properly cooked

I only wear my wedding band when I cook, and I know there's nothing under there. I wash my hands 100 times while I'm cooking, because every time I touch the food, i have to wash them before I touch a different thing. If I taste the food, I wash the spoon before I dip it into the food again.

I don't like to eat at fast food restaurants because most of the workers are teens, and I know how nasty some teens can be.....they don't always wash their hands even when they go to the bathroom. They don't mind drinking out of the same bottle as someone else, and I've seen many young girls walk right out of the bathroom after they come out of the stall and go straight out without washing their hands....ewwwwww.

its not so much as "there is gunk" under a ring.... its all the nooks and crannies, the edges and crevices.... harbor bacteria. Its why i did not allow nail polish....the chipped edges of where they polish is....that edge harbors bacteria.

My wedding band doesn't have nooks and crannies, nor edges and crevices...it's solid gold, and I never take it off - my engagement ring is a solitaire diamond, and I would not consider wearing it while cooking or doing any kind of housework, anyway. I also never put polish on my nails - used to have fake nails and got tired of that several years back. Gardening is not a friend of fake nails, so I let them go....

I'm also conscious of people that cook for me, if their house is neat, I'm sure they are probably good about washing their hands while cooking. Had a friend who let her pets get up on the dining room table and other furniture.....I wouldn't eat at her house.

My wedding band doesn't have nooks and crannies, nor edges and crevices...it's solid gold, and I never take it off - my engagement ring is a solitaire diamond, and I would not consider wearing it while cooking or doing any kind of housework, anyway. I also never put polish on my nails - used to have fake nails and got tired of that several years back. Gardening is not a friend of fake nails, so I let them go....

I'm also conscious of people that cook for me, if their house is neat, I'm sure they are probably good about washing their hands while cooking. Had a friend who let her pets get up on the dining room table and other furniture.....I wouldn't eat at her house.

god thy name is squirt bottle.... lol.

Maybe it's just me,but I refuse to eat any meal made by anyone that refuses to take their rings off. If my sister in law is preparing dinner, I always check her hands. Sometimes she has 4 rings on each hand...sometimes just her wedding ring. Problem is...have you ever taken your rings off to have them cleaned and saw all that gunk underneath? Now imagine dipping your hands, and those gunky rings, smearing around in a raw meatloaf, then her washing her hands afterwards, then preparing a salad. That gunk now has more company to harden and collect under the stones and in the stone clasps, etc. Washing hands is not going to remove it. It takes steam, an old toothbrush, etc to get that crap loose and all the germs and bacteria with it.

Tonight, I am watching Chopped. This woman has this multi cluster diamond ring on, sticking her hands in everything. She is glad I am not a judge because I would refuse to just taste it knowing that ring got dipped in raw food, then prepared, then spread on my plate with that ring on her hand.

Am I crazy? Persnickety? Or correct in thinking it's icky to cook with rings on?

I never considered it before, but after reading this...ewww!!!
Same here......wish I hadn't opened this thread. .. :eek:

Last edited:

Amen to Sanitizer!

Amen to Sanitizer!

lol...yeah, sanitizer too!

squirt bottles train the cats not to be on the counters.....

i would not allow rings...or nail polish in my kitchen.

simple as that.

I'd prefer no long nails, for that matter.
In my case, my nails are always squeaky clean. The reason is that I bite my nails right to the flesh, and the wife is not too happy about it. Well, I reminder her occasionally that unlike her, I don't have to worry about scrubbing under my nails so I can prepare food without worry about any dirt/germs getting into the food. Also, it's silly for men to have long nails, somehow it doesn't seem right.

I would love to have long nails, but I always get them caught on something and end up with an annoying hangnail, so I cut it, and then I can't stand having one short nail and heaps of long ones, so I cut them all.

Ring gunk and nail dirt is the kick i look in a meal.

Humankind lived ok along with dirt and bacteria for thousands of years, so i am fine with those. But all those chemicals produced to kill bacterias, i dont trust them.

Ring gunk and nail dirt is the kick i look in a meal.

Humankind lived ok along with dirt and bacteria for thousands of years, so i am fine with those. But all those chemicals produced to kill bacterias, i dont trust them.

But all those chemicals produced to kill bacterias, i dont trust them

exactly

sort of gives a false sense of security

the three ways food becomes contaminated

failed time and temperature control

cross contamination of uncooked foods with cooked foods

poor personal hygiene

i dont use the sanitizer at home but i do at work....i handle money .....nothing is nastier...and my customers are skiers...o they hold it in their mouths....credit cards they will hold in their mouths....and i swear spit them at me...hands are full with skis or they are covered to the max with clothes...i love the men who just hand me their wallets and say something like "honey take what you need" to cover their tickets....many times they have forgotten little gems of blunts or coke they have stashed in their wallets....

i dont use the sanitizer at home but i do at work....i handle money .....nothing is nastier...and my customers are skiers...o they hold it in their mouths....credit cards they will hold in their mouths....and i swear spit them at me...hands are full with skis or they are covered to the max with clothes...i love the men who just hand me their wallets and say something like "honey take what you need" to cover their tickets....many times they have forgotten little gems of blunts or coke they have stashed in their wallets....

money is nasty

Forum List

Back