CDZ Contd: Are there ways to separate gay marriage and benefits from govt and protect people equally

I must admit, I did not read one word of the OP. I have just one question that points to my stance on the whole issue of Marriage; Gay, Straight, or otherwise.

Why is Government in the business of marriage in the first place? It is, originally, a religious institution after all. Libs love to cite "separation of church and state", except when it serves their agenda.
No it was not originally a religious institution:

7. State or church?

Marriages in the West were originally contracts between the families of two partners, with the Catholic Church and the state staying out of it. In 1215, the Catholic Church decreed that partners had to publicly post banns, or notices of an impending marriage in a local parish, to cut down on the frequency of invalid marriages (the Church eliminated that requirement in the 1980s). Still, until the 1500s, the Church accepted a couple's word that they had exchanged marriage vows, with no witnesses or corroborating evidence needed.13 Facts on the History of Marriage

While religion wormed it's way into marriage, today, in most places including the US , it is a legal/ civil matter subject to equal protection under the law as established by the Obergefell decision. "Libs" always support separation of church and state.

The government should promote marriage and stable families, and should not only through tax breaks but subsidies to promote strong nuclear families. IT does have a very strong interest in such a national policy, especially with financial stress being a primary cause of divorces.

'Gay marriage' is a joke, a red herring, and serves no purpose other than validating a neurotic fetish and mental disorder; allowing them to adopt children is a crime, pure and simple.
Your lucky that this is the CDZ or I would tell you exactly what I think of you and your bovine excrement.

Civil marriage has only one legitimate interest- the welfare of children, which is almost always better with twp parents in the home. Otherwise, the government has no business rewarding the living arrangements of consenting adults.
Really? So I should not have been allowed to marry at the age of 50, because my wife , now of 25 years, was beyond her child bearing years at the time? Or, are you trying to say something else about other people?

The Federal Government should not regulate marriage.
Problem solved.
The federal government does not regulate marriage. For the most part the states do. However, the federal courts have the responsibility of enforcing the constitutional provisions of equal protection under the law and due process. If state law violates those principals, it is proper and appropriate for the federal courts to step in and smack them down which they have done time and again. If you don't believe that, you must also believe that the Supreme Court was out of bounds in striking down laws against interracial marriage. Do you?

The government should promote marriage and stable families, and should not only through tax breaks but subsidies to promote strong nuclear families. IT does have a very strong interest in such a national policy, especially with financial stress being a primary cause of divorces.

'Gay marriage' is a joke, a red herring, and serves no purpose other than validating a neurotic fetish and mental disorder; allowing them to adopt children is a crime, pure and simple.
Your lucky that this is the CDZ or I would tell you exactly what I think of you and your bovine excrement.

Nobody cares what you think, so go ahead. You're just another neo-fascist poseur anyway. Go cheer a cop killing or something with your peers and hold a group masturbation ritual in celebration.

Nobody cares what you think, so go ahead. You're just another neo-fascist poseur anyway. Go cheer a cop killing or something with your peers and hold a group masturbation ritual in celebration.
Listen Troll, maybe you have something intelligent to say in relation to the Op? If not, maybe you would like to just crawl back under the rock where you live.

sealybobo asked very specific questions on another CDZ thread that deserve answers but weren't directly on the topic of genetics vs. choice.

To keep this in the same section I pose the question as yes or no: Are there ways to separate gay marriage and benefits from govt and still protect people equally.

In other words is managing benefits through govt the ONLY way to make this work (so that people who disagree with same sex couples getting benefits just have to put up with this religious conflict similar to people who don't believe in race mixing with marriage and family); or for the sake of separating beliefs from govt are there feasible options for separating marriage/benefits from govt and still manage these programs where everyone can access and have security/equal protections the same as going through govt, but without imposing conflicting beliefs on anyone (since people could have a choice of which programs to fund or not if this was separated somehow, such as by party).

Here are SB original questions:
==================
Dear Emily,

Are you saying that the government shouldn't give tax breaks to married couples? Are you saying that the government/law shouldn't get involved when a couple wants to get a divorce? Who then decides how much the stay at home wife gets in the divorce? Do Libertarians want the law/government to stay out of divorce?
===============

My answer to this is to give people and parties a choice of how they want to manage it, instead of trying to mandate one system for everyone through federal govt whether they agree or not.

They can go through state, through party, through nonprofits; give people an option to opt out and go through local groups if they want to manage their marriages, benefits, HEALTH CARE, etc that way and quit trying to micromanage "one policy fits all" through the federal/Congressional level that isn't designed for social work which requires one on one individualized decisions.

Now, SB question is basically how do you expect to protect and provide benefits etc. if you don't go through govt.

So the debate question I will frame this as, are
"Are there ways to manage this BESIDES forcing policies through federal govt that conflict with various people's beliefs. and STILL provide the same equal protections or better than what is offered now"
Here is an interesting piece that will shed some light on the subject.

Selected excerpts with notations where needed:

In the debate last night, Ron Paul noted his position on marriage as follows:

get the government out of it. Why doesn’t it go to the church? And why doesn’t it to go to the individuals? I don’t think government should give us a license to get married. It should be in the church.

The Church? Really? Where does that leave people who are not religious or who just do not want to get married in a church? Will we then be discriminating against those people on the basis of religion? What are the implications for government benefits and the government’s role in mediating divorces? . Shall that be left too Jewish, Sharia or Cannon law? Not very well thought out.

The author continues:

Here’s the deal: much of the significance of marriage is very much linked to civil-legal matters in a way that makes it impossible for government to extricate itself from its definition. Marriage is many things that have nothing to do with government such as romance, love, friendship, lifelong companionship, and even sacred bonds. There is little doubt that those things can all be achieved without the government being involved (as is the case with friendship, for example). However, marriage is also about certain mutual legal obligations regarding property, finances, children and whatnot, about which governmental intervention is sometimes necessary to resolve disputes (as is the case with any contractual relationship). Further, marriage diminishes legal complexity in a variety issues (children, death [i.e., funeral arrangements], hospital visitations, medical decisions, etc.). Now, we could utterly remove marriage as a legal institution, but then we would have to replace it with something else, and that something else would almost certainly be more cumbersome in terms of government entanglements that the current system.

To put it as simply as possible: for government to truly get out of the marriage business it would have to stop recognizing the spousal relationship as having special legal standing. This is because to recognize that relationship as having specific legal significances it would need a definition of “marriage” that could be held up to legal scrutiny (to, for example, stop people from arbitrarily claiming whatever privileges might exist for married couples). Such a stand would have to exist whether the government issued the licenses or not. Once the law has to define “marriage” then government is, by definition, in the “marriage business.”

To summarize the summary: the only way to truly get government out of the marriage business would be to reduce marriage to the same status of friendship, i.e., a social relationship utterly defined by private interactions and that lacks legal significance.

sealybobo asked very specific questions on another CDZ thread that deserve answers but weren't directly on the topic of genetics vs. choice.

To keep this in the same section I pose the question as yes or no: Are there ways to separate gay marriage and benefits from govt and still protect people equally.

In other words is managing benefits through govt the ONLY way to make this work (so that people who disagree with same sex couples getting benefits just have to put up with this religious conflict similar to people who don't believe in race mixing with marriage and family); or for the sake of separating beliefs from govt are there feasible options for separating marriage/benefits from govt and still manage these programs where everyone can access and have security/equal protections the same as going through govt, but without imposing conflicting beliefs on anyone (since people could have a choice of which programs to fund or not if this was separated somehow, such as by party).

==================
Dear Emily,

Are you saying that the government shouldn't give tax breaks to married couples? Are you saying that the government/law shouldn't get involved when a couple wants to get a divorce? Who then decides how much the stay at home wife gets in the divorce? Do Libertarians want the law/government to stay out of divorce?
===============

My answer to this is to give people and parties a choice of how they want to manage it, instead of trying to mandate one system for everyone through federal govt whether they agree or not.

They can go through state, through party, through nonprofits; give people an option to opt out and go through local groups if they want to manage their marriages, benefits, HEALTH CARE, etc that way and quit trying to micromanage "one policy fits all" through the federal/Congressional level that isn't designed for social work which requires one on one individualized decisions.

Now, SB question is basically how do you expect to protect and provide benefits etc. if you don't go through govt.

"Are there ways to manage this BESIDES forcing policies through federal govt that conflict with various people's beliefs. and STILL provide the same equal protections or better than what is offered now"

Here is more to consider:

Problem solved.
The federal government does not regulate marriage. For the most part the states do. However, the federal courts have the responsibility of enforcing the constitutional provisions of equal protection under the law and due process. If state law violates those principals, it is proper and appropriate for the federal courts to step in and smack them down which they have done time and again. If you don't believe that, you must also believe that the Supreme Court was out of bounds in striking down laws against interracial marriage. Do you?
If they don't regulate marriage they can't make homo marriage legal and force states to abide by it.

Problem solved.
If they don't regulate marriage they can't make homo marriage legal and force states to abide by it.
But they can and they did through the court by applying constitutional law. Haven't you heard.?

==================
Dear Emily,

===============

The answer is this

The GOVERNMENT gives tax breaks and legal rights to married people

Religious fanatics and extreme rightwing haters are trying to prevent those rights to gay couples

There is no other entity than the GOVERNMENT that can enforce those rights

which is why the government should no longer recognize marriages performed in religious ceremonies as legal.
If people , ALL people, want there marriages to be sanctioned by the state then the ceremony must be performed by a government official

Quite frankly I think the marriage license should be all that's needed and that the ceremony is superfluous but I understand people's need for such things
From the government's perspective you are right, the ceremony is superflous. The marriage license is all that is needed. The government should not care if there is a ceremony or not.

==================
Dear Emily,

===============

The answer is this

Religious fanatics and extreme rightwing haters are trying to prevent those rights to gay couples

Correct.

Marriage is contract law, written by the states and administered by state courts – contract law that can accommodate two equal adult partners in a committed relationship – same- or opposite-sex.

And that contract is not just between the marrying couple, but involves the state as well, where the state recognizes marriage to be beneficial to society as a whole and acknowledges that benefit accordingly.

For government to not acknowledge the benefit of a same-sex marriage contract predicated solely on bigotry and an unwarranted animosity toward gay Americans would violate the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses of the 14th Amendment (see Obergefell v. Hodges (2015)).

Indeed, just as the states may not deny same-sex couples access to marriage contract law, so too are the states prohibited by the 14th Amendment from denying married same-sex couples the benefits of the marriage contract entered into with the state.
It all comes down to the YUCK factor

For generations, the idea of a black person and a white person marrying and having children of mixed race was considered Yucky
The government responded by banning such unions on a state by state basis

Many today have the same YUCKY feelings about same sex couples. It is yucky to see them holding hands and showing affection in public. That is why they tried to use government to ban such unions.
You are absolutely right about the yuck factor. I predict that at some point same sex marriage for siblings will be ruled legal. Since they cannot biologically produce children, there is no reason other than the yuck factor to not allow them to marry.

==================
Dear Emily,

===============

The answer is this

Correct.

Marriage is contract law, written by the states and administered by state courts – contract law that can accommodate two equal adult partners in a committed relationship – same- or opposite-sex.

And that contract is not just between the marrying couple, but involves the state as well, where the state recognizes marriage to be beneficial to society as a whole and acknowledges that benefit accordingly.

For government to not acknowledge the benefit of a same-sex marriage contract predicated solely on bigotry and an unwarranted animosity toward gay Americans would violate the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses of the 14th Amendment (see Obergefell v. Hodges (2015)).

Indeed, just as the states may not deny same-sex couples access to marriage contract law, so too are the states prohibited by the 14th Amendment from denying married same-sex couples the benefits of the marriage contract entered into with the state.

For generations, the idea of a black person and a white person marrying and having children of mixed race was considered Yucky

Many today have the same YUCKY feelings about same sex couples. It is yucky to see them holding hands and showing affection in public. That is why they tried to use government to ban such unions.
You are absolutely right about the yuck factor. I predict that at some point same sex marriage for siblings will be ruled legal. Since they cannot biologically produce children, there is no reason other than the yuck factor to not allow them to marry.

You know of anyone pushing for that?

By that reasoning, mothers and daughter/ fathers and sons will also be able to marry. It's a slippery slope indeed.

Or maybe, just maybe, the government will be able to establish a compelling state interest in not allowing close relative marriage- aside from the issue of birth defects.

==================
Dear Emily,

===============

The answer is this

Correct.

By that reasoning, mothers and daughter/ fathers and sons will also be able to marry. It's a slippery slope indeed.

Or maybe, just maybe, the government will be able to establish a compelling state interest in not allowing close relative marriage- aside from the issue of birth defects.
It doesn't matter whether I know anyone (couple) pushing for it or not. All it takes is one case to make it to the Supreme Court.

Tell me, on what grounds other than the yuck factor as RW puts it, can same sex marriage between adult siblings be denied now that same sex marriages are legal.

==================
Dear Emily,

===============

The answer is this

which is why the government should no longer recognize marriages performed in religious ceremonies as legal.
If people , ALL people, want there marriages to be sanctioned by the state then the ceremony must be performed by a government official

Quite frankly I think the marriage license should be all that's needed and that the ceremony is superfluous but I understand people's need for such things
From the government's perspective you are right, the ceremony is superflous. The marriage license is all that is needed. The government should not care if there is a ceremony or not.

The government should not recognize as legal any religious ceremony either

The state should vest no legal power in any clergy

The answer is this

Correct.

It doesn't matter whether I know anyone (couple) pushing for it or not. All it takes is one case to make it to the Supreme Court.

Tell me, on what grounds other than the yuck factor as RW puts it, can same sex marriage between adult siblings be denied now that same sex marriages are legal.
Well, it's not my intention to condemn or support sibling marriage. My point is that issues and arguments that can be made for and against it are different than those for same sex marriage were.. If such a case made it to the federal courts, the state would have to defend their the laws prohibiting sibling marriage by presenting- at minimum- a rational basis for it- and possibly a compelling state interest -although in the case of the latter standard - it's unlikely that they would be held to that level of scrutiny.

The state might argue-from a sociological perspective- that the purpose of marriage is to form new families from unrelated people, which there is some historical basis for -and that is in the best interest of society. Keep in mind that the opponents of same sex marriage were howling about how they are redefining marriage and destroying the traditional family. Those arguments failed then, but it may well be that a more compelling argument in that regard could be made in the case of sibling marriage.

If the courts struck down the laws against sibling marriage, it would not be because of same sex marriage. It would be because those advocating for it made their case on it's own merits.

Last edited:
I have heard proposals many times before that government be divorced from marriage and it is, in my experience, most often motivated by a wish to avoid the issue of government sanctioned same sex marriage. The thinking is that if we can’t preserve marriage for heterosexual, then -by God- no one can be married and enjoy the government benefits of it. However, few will admit to that reason and come up with some lame reason like " I don't need the government telling me who I can love". Others are motivated by an irrational antigovernment zealotry. IT all comes down to the mentality of "Throw the baby out with the bath water” and “Sink the ship to drown the rats”

They ignore the fact that to get government out of marriage is extremely difficult, most likely impossible and that it would create more problems than it would solve- if indeed it would solve anything. None of those who have made these ludicrous proposals can explain exactly how it would work and play out in everyday life and how it would actually make anything better for them aside from circumventing the same sex marriage issue. I say it isn’t broken and there is need to fix it.

Regardless of how we got here and why, government is deeply entrenched to marriage. There are all of those government benefits to consider. If government were out of marriage, what would distinguish the married from the no so married? What would motivate people to marry? Sure some would still marry but others who might have would not. More unintended consequences such as more children without clear legal parentage ties. No, the system of marriage -save for the human short comings- is doing just fine and we have no need to change it.

Lastly, those who rail against government’s involvement in marriage seem to fall into two distinct camps. On one hand there are those who simply want to do away with marriage and all of the associated benefits entirely. On the other hand, there are those who advocate the management of those benefits, rights and responsibilities privately through contracts. ( Of course, the latter arrangement would not really mean that the government would be out of marriage because contracts are provided for in law, and they are mediated by the courts. In addition, there would still be a loss of benefits because a private contract cannot compel the government to provide them- but we won’t quibble about pesky details)

In either case, I’m willing to wager that even those who are the most ardent supporters of divorcing government from marriage will balk when they look at the impact such a scheme would have on their own lives if they are, or intend to get married.

Please review this list of government marriage benefits and try to explain which ones you could give up, and which ones you think could be privatized, and how that work. http://www.buddybuddy.com/mar-list.htmlwould

Last edited:

Forum List

Back