Considering writing a book. Any helpful hints?

Discussion in 'Writing' started by RodISHI, Sep 2, 2009.

1. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,113
    Thank you, CM. If I write it I'll be treating it like the art I do. It will be because I want to. Not into pleasing anyone in particular I just think there is a lot of misinformation out there and the God experiences we had were and are awesome. If no one else read it my family and friends would want to read it.

I had not read any books for a few years until recently. Rod's sis gave him "The Shack" to read. I think it was written as fiction not sure. It is about a Holy Spirit experience but written in a manner that did not keep me reading it until the end without stopping. On a whole it was good meat and it gave me a lot of things to consider.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. BasicGreatGuy

BasicGreatGuy Aut libertas aut mors

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430
    The most important thing you need to do is come up with an outline for your book. This will help you with staying focused with the subject matter and the flow of the book. Without an outline, you run the risk of being too verbose and fragmented.

The next important issue that needs addressing, is proof-reading. If at all possible, have a third party go over your work. When I say third party, I am referring to someone besides you and the person(s) involved in publishing your work.

In regards to publishing, you don't need a publishing agent. Having an agent is apropos, when you have already established yourself as a writer with more than one book. The most economical and practical route to take at this point in time, is self-publishing. There are several reputable self-publishing companies online. There are several different packages you can choose from. By availing yourself to self-publishing, you control every aspect and cost of your book. Depending on which package(s) you choose, your self-publishing cost can run from a few hundred dollars to fifteen hundred dollars and up.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,659
    My ex and his brother are both published novelists. In fact, his brother has written dozens of books. My ex only co-authored one novel, but he's written all his life. He wrote articles for the Farmer's Almanac, he went to Afghanistan to do a series of articles, he ghost writes for friends, he edits.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,659
    I find his writing trite and dull, but boy howdy it's very, very correct.

5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,961
    If I had a buck for every person who has asked my advice because they wanted to write a book, I would indeed be a wealthy gal.

As a professional writer, my advice would be don't bother - seriously. Unless you actually do have a unique story and an ability to write, forget it.

6. Charles Stucker

Charles Stucker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Yeah the professionals always talk about contracts, while everybody else talks about Plots and characterization etc.

The current market is very hard on novel writers. Google around to find some published writer's home pages and look at the blogs. Even people with a dozen or so books published are holding down a "real job" because the market pays so little. The Publisher doesn't pay the writer much because the publishing company almost universally takes a bath on a first novel.

If you want to get your book written - start writing. Just put words on paper until you have a book. Then, knowing you can get that many words down, go back and start over - do an outline, develop your themes, etc.

No agent will touch you until you have a polished product, you'll just get form rejections to your inquiries.

7. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I have a better idea. Get a tape recorder and record your words, then hire a writer to write it.

Well that is what I would do because you all have seen my writing ability or should I say Non-ability.

8. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,629
    my brother the holywood literary agent always said that one should go take creative writing class at the local jc and use those course and the teachers to polish your chapters....oh.....and grow to like rejection....

9. Charles Stucker

Charles Stucker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Check out the course before you take it. A lot of junior colleges have writing courses so minimal that you won't gain anything; some instructors are worth taking, but many are not. Check to be sure which it is before you put money down.

10. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,994
    I self published a book in January. It was one of the best things I have ever done. I had been writing it for years on my experiences growing up in rural Virginia. With technology available now, it really isn't that hard. I took lots of creative writing courses in college.

I don't expect to be rich or famous, but I hopefully will leave something for my great grandchildren to read when I am dead and gone. I have sold over 400 units and I am writing the sequel. If that is your dream, do it.