Conservatives vs. Climate Zombie Caucus

Water vapour caused one-third of global warming in 1990s, study reveals

Cloud460x276.jpg

A 10% drop in water vapour, 10 miles up has had an effect on global warming over the last 10 years, scientists say. Photograph: Getty

Scientists have underestimated the role that water vapour plays in determining global temperature changes, according to a new study that could fuel further attacks on the science of climate change.

The research, led by one of the world's top climate scientists, suggests that almost one-third of the global warming recorded during the 1990s was due to an increase in water vapour in the high atmosphere, not human emissions of greenhouse gases. A subsequent decline in water vapour after 2000 could explain a recent slowdown in global temperature rise, the scientists add.

The experts say their research does not undermine the scientific consensus that emissions of greenhouse gases from human activity drive global warming, but they call for "closer examination" of the way climate computer models consider water vapour.

The new research comes at a difficult time for climate scientists, who have been forced to defend their predictions in the face of an embarrassing mistake in the 2007 report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which included false claims that Himalayan glaciers could melt away by 2035. There has also been heavy criticism over the way climate scientists at the University of East Anglia apparently tried to prevent the release of data requested under Freedom of Information laws.

The new research, led by Susan Solomon, at the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, who co-chaired the 2007 IPCC report on the science of global warming, is published today in the journal Science, one of the most respected in the world.

Solomon said the new finding does not challenge the conclusion that human activity drives climate change. "Not to my mind it doesn't," she said. "It shows that we shouldn't over-interpret the results from a few years one way or another."

She would not comment on the mistake in the IPCC report - which was published in a separate section on likely impacts - or on calls for Rajendra Pachauri, the IPCC chairman, to step down.

"What I will say, is that this [new study] shows there are climate scientists round the world who are trying very hard to understand and to explain to people openly and honestly what has happened over the last decade."

The new study analysed water vapour in the stratosphere, about 10 miles up, where it acts as a potent greenhouse gas and traps heat at the Earth's surface.

Satellite measurements were used to show that water vapour levels in the stratosphere have dropped about 10% since 2000. When the scientists fed this change into a climate model, they found it could have reduced, by about 25% over the last decade, the amount of warming expected to be caused by carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.

They conclude: "The decline in stratospheric water vapour after 2000 should be expected to have significantly contributed to the flattening of the global warming trend in the last decade."

Water vapour caused one-third of global warming in 1990s, study reveals | Environment | The Guardian

Bullshit. Even if everything that the Global warming alarmists asserted concerning global warming was true there is no reason to fear warming. Odds are better than not that that a warmer planet is a better planet.

It is definitely a more normal planet. Glaciation is a freak event. Atmospheric CO2 is nearly at an all time low. Global cooling is a reality over the last 4 million years and short periods of slight warming are what caused man to suddenly advance.

The science fiction of global warming alarmism is a fear campaign designed to create a revenue stream to combat poverty according to the UN anyway. They say so right here UN panel suggests new international taxes to help fund development

And it is a way to trick the world's little people into using fewer fossil fuels because we are running out of cheap easy petro fuels.

And it is a trick to con the little people into managing their environmental footprint. No more SUV's nomatta how bitchen they look in your driveway.

The little people can't be bothered to do the right thing unless they are brainwashed. But once the little people are brainwashed they will believe anything and do the most absurd imaginable things fully convinced that it is God's (or Giai's) will.

YOU are one of those little people. Global warming is a behavior control mechanism designed to control you.

Unless you are a scientist - a climotologist to boot, you have no idea.

You DO have a huge ego and opinion of yourself though...bordering on the narcisstic in fact...

Who said I believe or disbelieve in global warming?

Last edited:
Bullshit. Even if everything that the Global warming alarmists asserted concerning global warming was true there is no reason to fear warming. Odds are better than not that that a warmer planet is a better planet.

It is definitely a more normal planet. Glaciation is a freak event. Atmospheric CO2 is nearly at an all time low. Global cooling is a reality over the last 4 million years and short periods of slight warming are what caused man to suddenly advance.

The science fiction of global warming alarmism is a fear campaign designed to create a revenue stream to combat poverty according to the UN anyway. They say so right here UN panel suggests new international taxes to help fund development

And it is a way to trick the world's little people into using fewer fossil fuels because we are running out of cheap easy petro fuels.

And it is a trick to con the little people into managing their environmental footprint. No more SUV's nomatta how bitchen they look in your driveway.

The little people can't be bothered to do the right thing unless they are brainwashed. But once the little people are brainwashed they will believe anything and do the most absurd imaginable things fully convinced that it is God's (or Giai's) will.

YOU are one of those little people. Global warming is a behavior control mechanism designed to control you.

Unless you are a scientist - a climotologist to boot, you have no idea.

You DO have a huge ego and opinion of yourself though...bordering on the narcisstic in fact...

Who said I believe or disbelieve in global warming?

So we should all subscribe uncritically to the opinions of "scientists" bent on political agendas?

While ignoring massive and basic scientific knowledge that debunks the alleged "threat" of warming.

YOU subscribe uncritically to political agents of the UN financing scheme while I maintain my belief that you are a brainwashed cult member of political team A.

If they tell you to fear asparagus, you will fear asparagus. Because you subscribe uncritically to propaganda. And you can't even listen to real scientific information that contradicts what your trainers have compelled you to believe.

So we should all subscribe uncritically to the opinions of "scientists" bent on political agendas?

While ignoring massive and basic scientific knowledge that debunks the alleged "threat" of warming.

YOU subscribe uncritically to political agents of the UN financing scheme while I maintain my belief that you are a brainwashed cult member of political team A.

If they tell you to fear asparagus, you will fear asparagus. Because you subscribe uncritically to propaganda. And you can't even listen to real scientific information that contradicts what your trainers have compelled you to believe.

Oh, I didn't realise you were of the Conspiracy Theorist ilk....my bad...carry on...

Oh, I didn't realise you were of the Conspiracy Theorist ilk....my bad...carry on...

read the link: UN panel suggests new international taxes to help fund development

Forum List

Back