Conservatives secretly meet to stop Romney

The primaries are going to be nasty and a lot of people who are very skilled at holding grudges will be grinding some pretty heavy axes by the time the convention comes up, it is possible they might even fail to nominate someone.

Come on, be realistic. They're not gonna fail to nominate someone, they're gonna coelesce around Romney. And as far as grudges go, people are likely gonna choose to bury the hatchet at election time, too.

1. Jimmy, your gullibility never ceases to amaze.

2. "Many social conservatives and other religious leaders in the state have openly labeled the former Massachusetts governor as a "flip-flopper,"
From your link.
Doesn't seem that secret.

3. The link also speaks of "multiple" reports.
Secret?

4. BTW...do you know the meaning of 'caucus'?

5. Oh...one more thing. Was McCain the choice of conservatives?
Knowing you, Jimmy, you are probably unaware that he certainly was
not.
But he got 3 million more conservative votes than Bush did, and a higher
percentage of conservative votes than Reagan did against Carter.
This from exit polls.

So, what have we learned?
Well, you, nothing.
But for most it indicates that conservatives will vote for Romney if he
gets the nod.

Another insightful OP, Jimmy.
You're almost as on point as Obama.

There is a big difference between being "Unaware" and not giving a flip. I hope the GOP nomination comes down to....wait, wait.....RON PAUL! You all deserve each other.

Republican civil war, like we didn't see that coming. The social conservatives are such selfish children, their power grab for the leadership of the GOP will likely split the party permanently.

Welcome to the board, Occupied.

I just wanted to thank you for the avi....every time I see that, I get that warm, fuzzy feeling based on folks getting what they deserve.

Justice is usually only found in the dictionary and the cemetary.

Awww, whassamatta PC?

Hey, Rikky...don't you recognize the police function when you see it?

Did you have a suggestion as to how to handle the spoiled brats?

They blocked me, I'd be singin' "These boots are made for walkin'..."

This:

Many social conservatives and other religious leaders in the state have openly labeled the former Massachusetts governor as a "flip-flopper," a criticism the campaign frequently beats back, while others have seen Romney's Mormon faith as an issue. And many of them have openly hoped for someone to emerge as a viable alternative to the former Massachusetts governor.

Is just shocking.

The truth is the "social conservatives" in the GOP don't have the clout they would like everyone to believe they have. If they did, Bachmann would be destroying everyone in the Iowa polls. The fact that they have to try and pick the next best candidate and haven't installed the next best candidate shows how desperate they are.

Further proof that the social conservatives lack the political torque they want everyone to think they have is the fact that James Dobson failed to endorse anyone in the '08 primary. Why would he do that? Because he knew McCain would likely win the nomination and didn't want to tip his hand. He is not a kingmaker.

Ron Paul might take Iowa, ouch to all the people who claimed Paul wouldn't win any primary if that happens.

Ron Paul may win...The majority of Americans are tired of nation building and war and they want to balance the budget and end the fed.

You can't come out after 10 fucking years of nation building in say you want to put boots on the ground in Iran and Syria. Most of this country didn't even want that for Iraq!

If Obama keeps us out of another major war and gets us out of Afighastan. He will destroy anyone besides Ron Paul.

Last edited:
The BIG problem that the GOP has is Romney is the only candidate with a chance to defeat Obama, but the ultra-right and the Tea Baggers want someone....ANYONE else. That will be their downfall.

I just had a thought. What if the Republicans split and nominate not one but TWO candidates, like the Democrats did in 1860? Wouldn't that be a trip?

Talk about reelection by default . . .

It won't matter

Once the real Republicans start voting, Romney will have the nomination by February

I just had a thought. What if the Republicans split and nominate not one but TWO candidates, like the Democrats did in 1860? Wouldn't that be a trip?

Talk about reelection by default . . .

That is a real possibility. Romney gets the GOP nominations and one of the Tea Party whackos decides to take up the banner of the cause. It would not be surprising at all. Romney is viewed as being far too moderate for the Ultras.

It won't matter

Once the real Republicans start voting, Romney will have the nomination by February

YOu know what, I haven't talked to one Republican yet who is thrilled with the prospect of voting for Romney.

It's mostly, "Yeah, if he's the nominee I'll vote for him because he's not Obama."

Remember back in '04 when Sen. Kerry ran as "Not Bush"?

It won't matter

I think you are right.

There is a reason this meeting was "secret".

The Evangelicals know they don't have the power to change the outcome.

They just don't want anyone else to know it.

There is no question Romney will lock up the nomination. The ever rotating anybody but Romney will ensure that

What the TeaTards will do is force a Palinesque VP on Romney that will ensure his defeat

Forum List

Back