Conservatives put stamp on Texas textbooks

Fuck Texas.

Look at the statistics. One out of three students don't graduate anyway. Instead of working on keeping the kids in school, conservatards want to turn it into propaganda for the few that are left.

Four out of ten drop outs end up on Public Aid.

Conservatives are like Midas. Only everything THEY touch turns to shit.

For years, other states bought their textbooks from Texas, an important source of revenue for the state. Now that's gonna stop. So, not only won't their own kids use the books, kids from other states won't either. Smart. Another example of "conservative logic".

Experts warn of Texas high school dropout crisis | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Don't live there. You don't have be their and you definately don't have the right to decide how other people's children are raised. Simply mind your own business and demand that the local schools teach what you think should be taught and leave everyone else to their own devices. CAn you handle that?

that would be fine, if this wasn't going to effect the nation. I mean, using your logic, why don't all the right wing people that disagree with the direction our nation is going just leave, since you know, they don't have to be there and they don't have a right to tell us how to raise our children. Sound stupid? Yea that's because it fucking is.

the fact of the matter is, with texas' large population, their school system and the resources they use are a model for many other states, which will either be forced to adopt these new standards (which are not FEDERALLY approved or even approved by every effected state), or begin to purchase from other, potentially more expensive or less accessible sources. Either way, they should have informed neighboring and partner states earlier rather than later, so that they could prepare in advance to change education providers, not have to decide long after many schools have already prepared next years budget.

Let me get this straight. In order for you to have the right to teach your kids the way you want other people, living in different states, have to give up their right teach their kids the way they want to. Doesn't that seem a little selfish?

Don't live there. You don't have be their and you definately don't have the right to decide how other people's children are raised. Simply mind your own business and demand that the local schools teach what you think should be taught and leave everyone else to their own devices. CAn you handle that?

that would be fine, if this wasn't going to effect the nation. I mean, using your logic, why don't all the right wing people that disagree with the direction our nation is going just leave, since you know, they don't have to be there and they don't have a right to tell us how to raise our children. Sound stupid? Yea that's because it fucking is.

the fact of the matter is, with texas' large population, their school system and the resources they use are a model for many other states, which will either be forced to adopt these new standards (which are not FEDERALLY approved or even approved by every effected state), or begin to purchase from other, potentially more expensive or less accessible sources. Either way, they should have informed neighboring and partner states earlier rather than later, so that they could prepare in advance to change education providers, not have to decide long after many schools have already prepared next years budget.

Let me get this straight. In order for you to have the right to teach your kids the way you want other people, living in different states, have to give up their right teach their kids the way they want to. Doesn't that seem a little selfish?

Are you being serious right now? That is EXACTLY what texas is doing, so I see that you also disagree, you just needed a little clarifying I guess.

Texas, as one of our largest state's, should have either informed other states that depend on their model in advance to hold similar meetings to allow all people to vote or not vote, instead of forcing through the change, making other state's that hold less economic and statistical (in population) clout subject to whatever changes they make with very little say.

Don't worry everyone, i think ihopehefails is starting to see the light, quickly, inoculate him against Virus ignoramus before he contracts it again :eek:.

Think of the kids who were taught in Texas schools, and perhaps at home, that Darwinism is false. Imagine their dismay and loss of trust when they go to college or university to find that their school and parents have lied to them.

No truth is truth so truth can't be false in one state and true in another. However, no person is all knowing, no school district adminstrator is completely absolved from political bias, and neither are current theories on anything completely correct as they will be revised for something better, and parents have the absolute right to teach their kids any way they want no matter how right or wrong it is. The parents of Texas voted and that is the end of the story.

Are you being serious right now? That is EXACTLY what texas is doing, so I see that you also disagree, you just needed a little clarifying I guess.

Texas, as one of our largest state's, should have either informed other states that depend on their model in advance to hold similar meetings to allow all people to vote or not vote, instead of forcing through the change, making other state's that hold less economic and statistical (in population) clout subject to whatever changes they make with very little say.

Don't worry everyone, i think ihopehefails is starting to see the light, quickly, inoculate him against Virus ignoramus before he contracts it again :eek:.

How about call up your local school board and ask for those books not to be used or get involvoved and tell your kids this is false. No one is stopping you from raising your kids the way you want.

Think of the kids who were taught in Texas schools, and perhaps at home, that Darwinism is false. Imagine their dismay and loss of trust when they go to college or university to find that their school and parents have lied to them.

Trust me, I go to school here in LA, and when I meet some kids from the midwest and the south, you would be fucking shocked at some of the things they say that are just erroneous.

If it wasn't for objective things like math and science, i'm certain universities would be filled with kids from the East and West coast primarily. The lack of critical thinking skills stressed in the American south and midwest in exchange for faith is kind of terrifying. My family was extraordinarily religious, I was far removed from it (though they weren't aware of it), so seeing this dichotomy in my socio-religious realm was easy, and noting the consequences was even more revealing.

I usually meet a lot pricks like yourself who think they are bright but then realize that just agreeing with other liberals doesn't make one bright but just the dumber half of this country agreeing with each other.

I disagree with Texas's school decisions but it's not their fault the local textbook companies use the Texas model for other states. I think a fairer course of action would be to complain to the textbook makers or get your own state to refuse them.

Last edited:

How about call up your local school board and ask for those books not to be used or get involvoved and tell your kids this is false. No one is stopping you from raising your kids the way you want.

I suspect many parents are doing just that, but why is it O.K. for texas parents to get to decide what kids in Iowa, or Nebraska learn? Wasn't this JUST your qualm before you realized that you had put your foot in your mouth? It does stop you from raising your kids the way you want if you're unaware or unobliging of these changes yet next year your kids are reading something that doesn't teach about Thomas Jefferson without your knowledge or consent.

and again, you can't put it as if there's no cause for concern. Texas' failing curriculum, already composed and heavily modified by mostly conservatives, is resulting in one of the largest drop out rates in the nation, and abysmal test scores. Why would ANYONE want THOSE standards to be their educational standards?

You claim to love America. As an american, backing this is tantamount to saying that we should cripple our future generations educational prospects in pursuit of an extreme, absolutist notion of state's right that will only work to the detriment of our nation. Sounds a little anti-American to me (seems as if two can play this accusatory game).

I disagree with Texas's school decisions but it's not their fault the local textbook companies use the Texas model for other states. I think fairer course of action would be to complain to the textbook makers or get your own state to refuse them.

I agree with you, but I also know that its quite irresponsible of a large state such as Texas not to have kept partners more well informed leading to this decision. The fact of the matter is, it wasn't politically popular and risked backlash, hence why the announcement was so close to the actual voting procedure. normally, any major decision like this would have been publicized for at minimum a year before this, signaling how these policymakers took advantage of turbulent political times to pass through nontransparent legislation.

We can't blame them, it's been all the rage in government for the past ten years (including some of Obama's policies, he's not off the hook either regardless of my leanings).

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I see why so many people have such ,massive post counts here, they don't multi-quote lol.

I suspect many parents are doing just that, but why is it O.K. for texas parents to get to decide what kids in Iowa, or Nebraska learn? Wasn't this JUST your qualm before you realized that you had put your foot in your mouth? It does stop you from raising your kids the way you want if you're unaware or unobliging of these changes yet next year your kids are reading something that doesn't teach about Thomas Jefferson without your knowledge or consent.

and again, you can't put it as if there's no cause for concern. Texas' failing curriculum, already composed and heavily modified by mostly conservatives, is resulting in one of the largest drop out rates in the nation, and abysmal test scores. Why would ANYONE want THOSE standards to be their educational standards?

You claim to love America. As an american, backing this is tantamount to saying that we should cripple our future generations educational prospects in pursuit of an extreme, absolutist notion of state's right that will only work to the detriment of our nation. Sounds a little anti-American to me (seems as if two can play this accusatory game).

Its OK because it is their state and they have the right to make a choice over the purchase of books. Other states have the same power so each state, school district's rights are not being subjegated in anyway.

Its not about loving American but more about loving freedom and I can't say that and individual's free choice is being upheld if you have one law across the entire land. Locals might want a different law than locals in different areas. Why should people in one area get to decide how people in another get to live. Surely, someone who loves personal choice would appreciate somone choosing the laws that they want to live by instead of them being picked by people completely disconnected from them in another state?

Trust me, I go to school here in LA, and when I meet some kids from the midwest and the south, you would be fucking shocked at some of the things they say that are just erroneous.

If it wasn't for objective things like math and science, i'm certain universities would be filled with kids from the East and West coast primarily. The lack of critical thinking skills stressed in the American south and midwest in exchange for faith is kind of terrifying. My family was extraordinarily religious, I was far removed from it (though they weren't aware of it), so seeing this dichotomy in my socio-religious realm was easy, and noting the consequences was even more revealing.

I usually meet a lot pricks like yourself who think they are bright but then realize that just agreeing with other liberals doesn't make one bright but just the dumber half of this country agreeing with each other.
There are many like you who will vote for Palin or Huckabee, who believe that dinosaurs walked with humans on earth within the last 6,000 years.

Its OK because it is their state and they have the right to make a choice over the purchase of books. Other states have the same power so each state, school district's rights are not being subjegated in anyway.

Its not about loving American but more about loving freedom and I can't say that and individual's free choice is being upheld if you have one law across the entire land. Locals might want a different law than locals in different areas. Why should people in one area get to decide how people in another get to live. Surely, someone who loves personal choice would appreciate somone choosing the laws that they want to live by instead of them being picked by people completely disconnected from them in another state?

Except that this is why this type of absolutist notion of state's rights FAILS. It's not economically feasible for each school to comprise their own curriculum for every textbook, and then have publishers make a different set of textbooks for fifty states. Not only is it not economically feasible on the domestic - political side (the amount of money for arranging annual votes, studies to determine efficacy, etc. for 50 states would be detrimental to the education system), but what publishing company would really even entertain that idea?

These state's don't use texas, or new york, or california (depending on where you live) textbooks just by choice, its a political and economically based choice founded in the efficacy of consolidation in regional school curriculum's, hence the reason why the state's that are likely to be the largest and most influential are generally the figureheads and the model of which other state's adopt and share resources (in this case, textbooks) with.

Maybe it was simply a lack of understanding on your part, i hope I clarified this, and I apologize for berating you if you didn't understand this fact. If you did understand this and continue not to understand why this is so important, then you can accept my berating as given :).

Except that this is why this type of absolutist notion of state's rights FAILS. It's not economically feasible for each school to comprise their own curriculum for every textbook, and then have publishers make a different set of textbooks for fifty states. Not only is it not economically feasible on the domestic - political side (the amount of money for arranging annual votes, studies to determine efficacy, etc. for 50 states would be detrimental to the education system), but what publishing company would really even entertain that idea?

These state's don't use texas, or new york, or california (depending on where you live) textbooks just by choice, its a political and economically based choice founded in the efficacy of consolidation in regional school curriculum's, hence the reason why the state's that are likely to be the largest and most influential are generally the figureheads and the model of which other state's adopt and share resources (in this case, textbooks) with.

Maybe it was simply a lack of understanding on your part, i hope I clarified this, and I apologize for berating you if you didn't understand this fact. If you did understand this and continue not to understand why this is so important, then you can accept my berating as given :).

I understand what you are saying you condenscending fool but regardless it still does not nullify someone else or some other school district's right to choose for themselves the textbooks they want. Its like saying I would like Vanilla ice cream that is colored red. Well since I am the only one who wants that then no company is going to make that for me. Does this mean I have the right to tell everyone who likes vanilla the way it is to change their personal choice in ice cream in order to accomodate me? If I did, then everyone else loses their right to choose non-red vanilla ice cream and that wouldn't be freedom.

Last edited:

I understand what you are saying you condenscending prick but regardless it still does not nullify someone else or some other school district's right to choose for themselves the textbooks they want. Its like saying I would like Vanilla ice cream that is colored red. Well since I am the only one who wants that then no company is going to make that for me. Does this mean I have the right to tell everyone who likes vanilla the way it is to change their personal choice in ice cream in order to accomodate me? If I did, then everyone else loses their right to choose non-red vanilla ice cream and that wouldn't be freedom.

No it's not. It's like saying you're the head of a family, and everyone in your family liked white vanilla ice cream, but you alone like red vanilla ice cream. They even have their own money, but because you control the car and how they get to Dairy queen, despite everyone else HATING red vanilla ice cream, they have to get it because they have no choice.

Now do you understand? Except in this case, there's even less of an obligation because Texas isn't a patriarch, but just a fellow state that benefits from a large population.

I understand what you are saying you condenscending prick but regardless it still does not nullify someone else or some other school district's right to choose for themselves the textbooks they want. Its like saying I would like Vanilla ice cream that is colored red. Well since I am the only one who wants that then no company is going to make that for me. Does this mean I have the right to tell everyone who likes vanilla the way it is to change their personal choice in ice cream in order to accomodate me? If I did, then everyone else loses their right to choose non-red vanilla ice cream and that wouldn't be freedom.

No it's not. It's like saying you're the head of a family, and everyone in your family liked white vanilla ice cream, but you alone like red vanilla ice cream. They even have their own money, but because you control the car and how they get to Dairy queen, despite everyone else HATING red vanilla ice cream, they have to get it because they have no choice.

Now do you understand? Except in this case, there's even less of an obligation because Texas isn't a patriarch, but just a fellow state that benefits from a large population.

Your power to choose whatever options available to you is not in danger. Other states still have the power to decide what text they want shown from the ones available to them.

The father still has the right to decide who can get in his own car. He does not have the right to block the rest of the family from taking a bus, walking, or using mom's car if she wanted to go.

I joined the military in 1975. Then I went to a Chicago University on the GI bill to become an engineer. I can tell you, education is everything. Mom and Dad didn't pay for my college. I EARNED it. I WORKED for it.

Conservatives like to call liberals "pricks" and insist they themselves are the "real" Americans. Well, that's just bullshit.

When I was a kid, parents wanted their children to have education. They wanted their children's lives to be "better" than theirs. But these days, conservatives delegitimize science with "magical creation". That has a ripple effect that delegitimizes all of education. Those that have marketable skills are "pricks" and "snotty".

Obama recently pointed it out. You have many conservatives who have never really developed marketable skills and the days of 27 dollar an hour assembly line jobs are over.
Instead of working to put themselves into a position where they can be competitive, they "protest" that things aren't "fair". Well, I can tell you this, "THINGS AREN'T FAIR".

"I want my country back" isn't going to cut it.

Conservatives can take their children out of the running by dumbing them down. Fine. There is the next generation of "unskilled labor". Leave the good jobs to those snotty liberals. Works for me.

Only better would be for the entire country to have "marketable skills". But if conservatives insist they don't want to compete, that becomes their decision. However, it's a pity for their kids.

They ain't teaching God is real but teaching that many people in the early colonies were religious which makes sense since they were only a 100 years or so from the first PURITIANS landing on plymouth rock. I don't see what the offense is when you are teaching an historical fact or even why that fact should be removed from the textbooks.

Perhaps you are upset that this might create a new generation of "christians" but what why should facts about the nation of the history be altered in order to prevent some possible outcome? Why should history at all be altered for fear of preventing any outcome?

Then why are they leaving out Hispanic leaders, why are they leaving out hip hop and why are they pretending that separation of church and state never crossed the Founders' minds.

I can understand the issue about leaving out Hispanic leaders, and I can understand the issue of leaving out the separation of church and state but, seriously, please can we not actually agree that leaving out hip hop is actually no big deal. Good grief, we have to educate kids properly and stop whining about what is or is not politically correct. You only need to look at the level of intellect of the younger members of this board to appreciate the importance of teaching kids to think.

The issue for me is not as much with hip-hop being left out as much as it's being left out, while country music is still in.

I joined the military in 1975. Then I went to a Chicago University on the GI bill to become an engineer. I can tell you, education is everything. Mom and Dad didn't pay for my college. I EARNED it. I WORKED for it.

Conservatives like to call liberals "pricks" and insist they themselves are the "real" Americans. Well, that's just bullshit.

When I was a kid, parents wanted their children to have education. They wanted their children's lives to be "better" than theirs. But these days, conservatives delegitimize science with "magical creation". That has a ripple effect that delegitimizes all of education. Those that have marketable skills are "pricks" and "snotty".

Obama recently pointed it out. You have many conservatives who have never really developed marketable skills and the days of 27 dollar an hour assembly line jobs are over.
Instead of working to put themselves into a position where they can be competitive, they "protest" that things aren't "fair". Well, I can tell you this, "THINGS AREN'T FAIR".

Conservatives can take their children out of the running by dumbing them down. Fine. There is the next generation of "unskilled labor". Leave the good jobs to those snotty liberals. Works for me.

Only better would be for the entire country to have "marketable skills". But if conservatives insist they don't want to compete, that becomes their decision. However, it's a pity for their kids.

They way you guys think is becoming more and more obvious to everyone. You think "total state" and if the state ain't doing it then it ain't getting done. No one ever said that we were killing education but the pursuit of any national goal can not trump one's own freedom over their own lives. I know parents make bad decisions for their kids and kids also make bad decisions over their own lives but that decision is theirs to make. It is not transferable to their parents, friends, neighbor and if ain't transferable to them then how can you say it is transferable to another group of people that happen to belong in the govt.

Last edited:

Your power to choose whatever options available to you is not in danger. Other states still have the power to decide what text they want shown from the ones available to them.

The father still has the right to decide who can get in his own car. He does not have the right to block the rest of the family from taking a bus, walking, or using mom's car if she wanted to go.

Ok, so now you're just back to ignoring simple reality. It's not economically possible for FIFTY states to each get their own textbooks made by publishing companies, they will not do so. Accept this or not, I don't really give a fuck any more, i'm not going to sit here and pretend like you're a twelve year old, despite your repeated attempts to emulate one.

As for meeting a lot of pricks like me, good man good, just keep talking all that shit with no actual evidence to back up your claims but ad hominem, your kind will go the way of the dinosaur soon enough. If you think lacking in critical thinking skills is a GOOD thing (let's look at the falling education standards in the midwest and south as an example and for proof as to why downplaying critical thinking skills in a curriculum is obviously detrimental), then stop talking to me.

While I enjoy debating with you and trying to find a prescription for what I'm sure is just transient ignorance that seems to be plaguing so many of our country men like yourself, i'm not going to argue with someone that believes Texas' population size and penchant for electing relatively stupid officials into educational positions should be allowed to continue to the detriment of our nation's children.

I disagree with Texas's school decisions but it's not their fault the local textbook companies use the Texas model for other states. I think a fairer course of action would be to complain to the textbook makers or get your own state to refuse them.

And to be fair to textbook makers, unless there are specific appeals from other states, it makes sense from their perspective to align their editions with their largest market. Also, there are technological improvements that make printing more editions easier.

They way you guys think is becoming more and more obvious to everyone. You think "total state" and if the state ain't doing it then it ain't getting done. No one ever said that we were killing education but the pursuit of any national goal can not trump one's own freedom over their own lives. I know parents make bad decisions for their kids and kids also make bad decisions over their own lives but that decision is theirs to make. It is not transferable to their parents, friends, neighbor and if ain't transferable to them then how can you say it is transferable to another group of people that happen to belong in the govt.

Yea, well, it's called "public school" for a reason. If people want their children to stay stupid, fine, keep them at home and home-school them. But dumbing down the entire school system isn't just a "bad" decision, it's a matter of national security.

Forum List

Back