Conservatives put stamp on Texas textbooks

And here's an article from the New York Times about it.
Texas Conservatives Win Vote on Textbook Standards - NYTimes.com

"Other changes seem aimed at tamping down criticism of the right. Conservatives passed one amendment, for instance, requiring that the history of McCarthyism include “how the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government.” The Venona papers were transcripts of some 3,000 communications between the Soviet Union and its agents in the United States.Other changes seem aimed at tamping down criticism of the right. Conservatives passed one amendment, for instance, requiring that the history of McCarthyism include “how the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government.” The Venona papers were transcripts of some 3,000 communications between the Soviet Union and its agents in the United States."

You want to know how much the Venona papers actually supported Mccarthy?

Return to Responses, Reflections and Occasional Papers // Return to Historical Writings

If that isn't spin, I don't know what is.

Picture3-2.png

Tom Toles Editorial Cartoon, March 19, 2010 on GoComics.com

Ok, I've read the article and the comments people have posted on both sides and I kind of find myself ambivalent about this.

It's not feasible to teach children every damn thing there is to know about history, so at some point you have to prioritize. It's not like this curriculum contains mis-information. They've simply chosen to prioritize in a way that strongly favors conservative ideals. If that's a reflection of the state, then so be it. I have no plans to send my kids to school in that backwater state anyway.

I think the Texas text books are used in several other states as well.

Not mine.

I discussed this with my state's textbook person and was told that unless you live in CA, FL, or NY, this will impact your schools to varying degrees depending on the publishers.

Conservatives put stamp on Texas textbooks - Education- msnbc.com

So?? Now religion is going to be taught in our schools?? What is wrong with these people?? Rewriting history, pushing an agenda and an ideal upon children..

What is it with you repukes?? Can't convince the rest of the nation so your going to brainswash children??

You people are sick!! This whole thing makes me sick!!

Religion doesn't beling in school!! There is no place for religion in a public school.. You have no right to rewrite our history..

You people are ruining our this nation..

You people=every neotard idiot that supports this!!

There's no place in school for teaching children that homosexuality is perfectly acceptable, but it's there.. You all started this shit with your "tolerance for everything, as long as it feels good"..

Now, deal with it.

So?? Now religion is going to be taught in our schools?? What is wrong with these people?? Rewriting history, pushing an agenda and an ideal upon children..

What is it with you repukes?? Can't convince the rest of the nation so your going to brainswash children??

Religion doesn't beling in school!! There is no place for religion in a public school.. You have no right to rewrite our history..

We put stamps on all our women ... what's your problem?

I think the problem comes in when you start to peel them off. That adhesive can hurt...

I think the problem comes in when you start to peel them off. That adhesive can hurt...

:lol:

They will not be teaching Religion in school, you retard.

They already do, retard.
It is called history class, and you learn about all religions.

They only mention that religion and which ones did what they do not teach any religious text at all. But you do have a problem understanding simple concepts I have noticed.

You have problem writing a cogent sentence. Evidence? "They only mention that religion and which ones did what they do not teach any religious text at all."
Good grief, is English your second sentence?

They already do, retard.
It is called history class, and you learn about all religions.

They only mention that religion and which ones did what they do not teach any religious text at all. But you do have a problem understanding simple concepts I have noticed.

You have problem writing a cogent sentence. Evidence? "They only mention that religion and which ones did what they do not teach any religious text at all."
Good grief, is English your second sentence?

:eusa_whistle:

LOL!

YOu cannot truly be teaching people history if you don't include religion, folks.

Much of history, religion was the unifying force of the society, so ignoring what those people believed and then trying to figure out what motivated them would be absurd.

NEARLY as absurd as trying to teach history, but ignoring how economics was the motivating force that was driving modern nation states.

There's no place in school for teaching children that homosexuality is perfectly acceptable, but it's there.. You all started this shit with your "tolerance for everything, as long as it feels good"..

Now, deal with it.

No one teaches that you have to accept homosexuality. What is taught is it is unacceptable to state that gay folks are immoral, abominations, faggots and are going to burn in hell while at school.

YOu cannot truly be teaching people history if you don't include religion, folks.

Much of history, religion was the unifying force of the society, so ignoring what those people believed and then trying to figure out what motivated them would be absurd.

NEARLY as absurd as trying to teach history, but ignoring how economics was the motivating force that was driving modern nation states.

You have it backwards. Religion should be taught in history and philosophy classes.
Religion has no place in dictating what is and isn't included in textbooks.

Cesar Chavez isn't relevant to children

Are you effing serious? Textbooks should teach what WAS and what IS, not what a bunch of mouth-breathers WISH it were. God, this country is really turning into a nation of stupid, ignorant, intellectually incurious consumers. Just what the markets want us to be.

Now, deal with it.

What school is teaching being gay is cool? I'll wait.

As for this amendment. Hey, everyone, let's disregard the religion getting a more prominent role (i personally hate this idea, having went to a private christian school for a good amount of my life before high school and knowing that it is blatantly pointless and doesn't instill any more morals in kids than public schools), how about the downplaying of Thomas Jefferson? How about the downplaying of separation of church and state?

As for his referenced to natural rights and Almighty gods. The natural law one, is a grotian idea, it doesn't mean he believes that the Christian God gave us laws, but rather that God in general provided these laws.

Which brings me to point two, whether you think they were athiests or pure christians, you're wrong either way. They were deists, a blend of both if you will, and this is just history. hence why they can refer to God (in the deist tradition, god is one in which he created the universe and is now letting it run it's own course independently, this contributed to the beginning tenets of American exceptionalism), natural law, and a separation of the state from God.

Now, deal with it.

Tu quoque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although it's rather telling that you think it's wrong and are using such weak excuses to rationalize it.

Also "tolerance for everything, as long as it feels good".. is a straw man.

Last edited:
And here's an article from the New York Times about it.
Texas Conservatives Win Vote on Textbook Standards - NYTimes.com

"Other changes seem aimed at tamping down criticism of the right. Conservatives passed one amendment, for instance, requiring that the history of McCarthyism include “how the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government.” The Venona papers were transcripts of some 3,000 communications between the Soviet Union and its agents in the United States.Other changes seem aimed at tamping down criticism of the right. Conservatives passed one amendment, for instance, requiring that the history of McCarthyism include “how the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government.” The Venona papers were transcripts of some 3,000 communications between the Soviet Union and its agents in the United States."

You want to know how much the Venona papers actually supported Mccarthy?

Return to Responses, Reflections and Occasional Papers // Return to Historical Writings

If that isn't spin, I don't know what is.
This rewriting of history in favor of the conservative viewpoint is reminiscent of Iran and other countries who tried theocracy. When did that ever prove successful?

Now, deal with it.

Tu quoque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although it's rather telling that you think it's wrong and are using such weak excuses to rationalize it.

Also "tolerance for everything, as long as it feels good".. is a straw man.

Ba-fucking-loney.

Next?

In other words, as usual, the left tards have no argument. They just blabber off at the gums.

Y'all prove what you're worth daily. Not a damned thing. I got a blond dog smarter than any leftwing idiot on this board and she can barely figure out going outside is to shit.:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back