Conservatives Fight Back on College Campuses

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
It has long been known that left-wing thinking dominates the environment of America’s college campuses. In poll after poll, professors have identified themselves in overwhelming numbers as “liberal.” Now, one group is stepping up to counter the liberal indoctrination with a dose of conservatism.

As covered in the Agape Press’s story Delivering the Conservative Message to Combat Campus Liberal Bias, a new group known as the Network of College Conservatives “vows to expose and combat liberal bias on university campuses.”

The Network of College Conservatives has been launched to provide a voice for students who are being harassed, intimidated, or even shouted down on campus because of their conservative or “right-wing” beliefs.

Christopher Flickinger, the founder of the Network, says its goal is “to help those students get a well-rounded education” because, “they’re certainly not going to get it from their professors in the classroom.”

Flickinger needs all the help he can get. According to a story earlier this year in the Washington Post, “College faculties, long assumed to be a liberal bastion, lean further to the left than even the most conspiratorial conservatives might have imagined, a new study says.”

By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans.

The disparity is even more pronounced at the most elite schools, where, according to the study, 87 percent of faculty are liberal and 13 percent are conservative.

Another study sponsored by the American Enterprise Institute in 2002 found that today’s college campuses are not “diverse” places. “Quite the opposite: They are virtual one-party states, ideological monopolies, badly unbalanced ecosystems. They are utterly flightless birds with only one wing to flap. They do not, when it comes to political and cultural ideas, look like America,” concludes the study.

Liberals outnumber conservatives 18 to one at Brown University. At Cornell University, the number is even higher, with liberals outnumbering conservatives more than 26 times. Penn State displayed a bit more balance, with the ratio of liberals to conservatives being six to one. Even the smallest disparity, at the University of Houston, had a ratio of three liberals to one conservative.

Despite this stark imbalance, liberal groups, driven partly by fear and partly by outrage that conservatives are now starting to make inroads, are stepping up their funding. Earlier this year, Howard Kurtz, in the Washington Post, noted that one liberal Washington think tank was “funneling money to universities to encourage liberal journalism.” Kurtz asks, “Isn’t that a bit like pumping sand into the Mojave Desert?”

“We’re not winning the battle of ideas on campus,” says David Halperin, who is running the project for the Center for American Progress. Conservatives “have this insurgency mentality, even though they run the world.”

Hmmm… liberals overwhelmingly dominate the two major institutions of academics and the media and yet conservatives “run the world.” If it were only true! The fact is that conservatives need to step up their efforts to reach college students. This is a crucial time in a young person’s development, and liberal professors and interest groups have a virtual monopoly on what is being fed to these young and inquisitive minds.

http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/?p=153

Bonnie said:

I'm beginning to see a ray of hope here to. A Red Cross Volunteer I was with in LA is 23 and attends the University of Wisconsin. A staunch consevative and very active on campus, his group pulls stunts like passing around a petition ending womens sufferage. The liberal students signed it in throngs not even realizing what it meant. :rotflmao:

dilloduck said:
I'm beginning to see a ray of hope here to. A Red Cross Volunteer I was with in LA is 23 and attends the University of Wisconsin. A staunch consevative and very active on campus, his group pulls stunts like passing around a petition ending womens sufferage. The liberal students signed it in throngs not even realizing what it meant. :rotflmao:

That is funny!!
The good news is that people are fighting back, probably more than we hear in the news...What's that line from "Network" "Im fed up and Im not taking it anymore"

dilloduck said:

You know that is funny. But at the same time its incredibly sad....i cant believe people are that stupid.

I mean havent they played civilization?;)

Oh my, perhaps there really IS a trend:
http://www.observer.com/politics_newsstory3.asp

Harvard Law On A
Heterodox Spree,
Listing To Right :shocked:

By Anna Schneider-Mayerson

Bradford Berenson doesn’t remember Harvard Law School as the most encouraging place for an ambitious young conservative.

The 40-year-old partner at Sidley, Austin, Brown and Wood in Washington, D.C., who served in the White House Counsel’s office under President George W. Bush from 2001 to 2003 and has chaired committees for the Federalist Society, the conservative and libertarian lawyers’ group, entered the program in 1988, in the immediate aftermath of the Reagan-era culture wars.

Back then, he said, it was not unheard of for a student pressing a conservative line in a class discussion to get hisses and boos from classmates. He said that a single professor among the 60 or so full-time faculty actively propounded conservative jurisprudence and politics from the lectern.

“It wasn’t that uncommon or unusual to hear the word ‘fascist’ associated with a mainstream conservative,” Mr. Berenson said.

Then, last year, the law school surprised him with a barrage of additions to the faculty—among them prominent conservative scholars. This year, Mr. Berenson is “significantly increasing” the amount he is giving to the law school (though he, like most others interviewed by The Observer, declined to specify by how much).

“It’s hard to say whether I’m trying to send a message, whether I’m applauding what I see as a worthwhile effort by the law school, or whether it’s just the more straightforward feeling that as a place that seems to welcome and value the contributions of people with different points of view, that the law school deserves more support,” he said.

He, like others, had little difficulty offering much of the credit for the phenomenon to Elena Kagan, the 45-year-old dean of Harvard Law....

The best thinkers in our society like a little rebellion, and conservatism counterintuitively offers that in college. When I was in college in the early 90s, it was so creepily groupthink-liberal that I HAD to find out what others were thinking. Then, I read P.J. O'Rourke, and the rest is history.

dilloduck said:

Aww man now that is hillarious.

dilloduck said:

Ending womens' suffrage would be wrong, but what's wrong with ending their sufferage?

(I hope your friend didn't mess this up in his stunt)

insein said:
Im sure its a typo.

It was--his stunt was re: sufferege and he and his consevative buddies got chastised by the dean. New stunts are in the works---this guy is one smart cookie. :teeth:

Forum List

Back