Conservatives and Racism

I posted this to show how the GOP has always been inclusive of blacks. Some of the finest minds of this current era are conservative blacks who sorrow for what has been handed to their brethren by liberals.

What you forgot to mention--and probably even to consider--is that the GOP was not a conservative party in the 19th Century.

Do you know what you're talking about? The idea that people advance in their work is absolutely a conservative idea. That they begin as labor for others, eventually being able to hire labor for themselves, was part of the American idea at the country's founding, and has always been a part of the GOP platform. Lincoln's ideas of the accumulation of wealth and of the seeking of opportunity are American ideas, not Progressive ideas.

In fact, in that same speech, he warns laborers not to surrender the "political power which they already possess, and which if surrendered will surely be used to close the door of advancement against such as they and to fix new disabilities and burdens upon them till all of liberty shall be lost."

Lincoln's warning, of course, was not long heeded, as we have seen for ourselves since the Progressive Era.

It's not my post, but if I can interject, since I did post the full quote -- the thread is about what political parties stand for through the course of time. Lincoln's quote, which you have amplified above, is obviously worker-friendly (i.e. sympathetic to the "commoner" class). That's a Liberal philosophy, and demonstrates once again my whole point that parties evolve, devolve, and migrate their positions. You have only to consider the relative positions on that constituency today to see the radical turnabout. QED.
Lincoln's speech was also capital friendly. He defends the acquisition of wealth and the ability to hire others.

Lincoln's quote does not favor workers. It favors the American work ethic. Lincoln thought people should be able to both sell labor and hire labor. Social mobility is conservative.

Nice try but swingannamiss. Let's put it in its further context by filling out the 1861 quote with what sets it up:

>> In my present position I could scarcely be justified were I to omit raising a warning voice against this approach of returning despotism.

It is not needed nor fitting here that a general argument should be made in favor of popular institutions, but there is one point, with its connections, not so hackneyed as most others, to which I ask a brief attention. It is the effort to place capital on an equal footing with, if not above, labor in the structure of government. It is assumed that labor is available only in connection with capital; that nobody labors unless somebody else, owning capital, somehow by the use of it induces him to labor. This assumed, it is next considered whether it is best that capital shall hire laborers, and thus induce them to work by their own consent, or buy them and drive them to it without their consent. Having proceeded so far, it is naturally concluded that all laborers are either hired laborers or what we call slaves. And further, it is assumed that whoever is once a hired laborer is fixed in that condition for life.

Now there is no such relation between capital and labor as assumed, nor is there any such thing as a free man being fixed for life in the condition of a hired laborer. Both these assumptions are false, and all inferences from them are groundless.

Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. Capital has its rights, which are as worthy of protection as any other rights. Nor is it denied that there is, and probably always will be, a relation between labor and capital producing mutual benefits. The error is in assuming that the whole labor of community exists within that relation. A few men own capital, and that few avoid labor themselves, and with their capital hire or buy another few to labor for them. A large majority belong to neither class--neither work for others nor have others working for them. In most of the Southern States a majority of the whole people of all colors are neither slaves nor masters, while in the Northern a large majority are neither hirers nor hired. Men, with their families--wives, sons, and daughters--work for themselves on their farms, in their houses, and in their shops, taking the whole product to themselves, and asking no favors of capital on the one hand nor of hired laborers or slaves on the other. It is not forgotten that a considerable number of persons mingle their own labor with capital; that is, they labor with their own hands and also buy or hire others to labor for them; but this is only a mixed and not a distinct class. No principle stated is disturbed by the existence of this mixed class.

Again, as has already been said, there is not of necessity any such thing as the free hired laborer being fixed to that condition for life. Many independent men everywhere in these States a few years back in their lives were hired laborers. The prudent, penniless beginner in the world labors for wages awhile, saves a surplus with which to buy tools or land for himself, then labors on his own account another while, and at length hires another new beginner to help him. This is the just and generous and prosperous system which opens the way to all, gives hope to all, and consequent energy and progress and improvement of condition to all. No men living are more worthy to be trusted than those who toil up from poverty; none less inclined to take or touch aught which they have not honestly earned. Let them beware of surrendering a political power which they already possess, and which if surrendered will surely be used to close the door of advancement against such as they and to fix new disabilities and burdens upon them till all of liberty shall be lost.
--- excerpted from the SOTU address, December 3, 1861
It's about classism.

Note that he touched on this concept two years prior before the Presidency, where he kind of straddled the fence on it; parts of the speech are directly copied But clearly he comes down on the side of standing up for the rights of the commoner versus the Elite. Which is after all what Liberalism is all about.

And? Today's liberalism teaches it's brainwashed followers that the rich get rich on the back of the poor, which is total bullshit. Lincoln believed as most normal people do in this country that one can start from laborer and work his way up to his own business and labor for himself and in turn hire others

Didn't read the speech, didja? He's talking about the class divisions that came with slavery. It was eighteen sixty frickin' one. And in the greater sense he's defending the stature of the common class. That's why it's Liberalism.

Political philosophies don't "teach" btw. Even if your strawman were real that's not what a political philosophy does. An ideology already knows what it believes, and seeks to act on it. And what you've got there has nothing to do with Liberalism.

(But if it did teach it might let you know that there is no apostrophe in its. "Teaches it is brainwashed followers" doesn't make any sense.)

Class division is a Marxist concept. Certainly not what Lincoln was talking about a person can move in and out of income brackets

You ain't real bright are ya?

Classes, again like slavery, existed LOOOOOOONG before Marx started writing his own analysis of them, which wasn't by any stretch the first. Not only do you have Lincoln's right here, you have the entire Enlightenment/Liberal movement that created this country in the first place. That itself was breaking down the classes of the aristocracy and church over the commoners (the so-called "Estates") Shit dood, the entire foundation of this country was all about class -- holding that power derives from the People and not from the King.. Ever hear the expression "We the People"?

"Class division a Marxist concept".... :banghead: Holy shit.

Shit dude the only people that keep others down, stuck in the lower income brackets are today's liberals. Come to Detroit where i live see for yourself..."Dude"..Liberals reject the enlighten in favor of powerful government overseers

I posted this to show how the GOP has always been inclusive of blacks. Some of the finest minds of this current era are conservative blacks who sorrow for what has been handed to their brethren by liberals.

What you forgot to mention--and probably even to consider--is that the GOP was not a conservative party in the 19th Century.

Why do these right wingers keep printing this same dumbass bullshit. I went to the OP's link and read the comments below. Clearly it was heavily edited.
Some simple questions they refuse to answer. Why do Republicans of today align themselves with the Confederates and was Lincoln a confederate? They purposely ignore the entire US history from 1960 to 1970. And how did the GOP become 90% white when it had a heavy black membership before 1960? And do they really believe blacks would join a party made up of KKK members? Or that the KKK would stay once black joined?

It's a delusion? It's tardedness? It's denial? I don't know what it is. Determined ignorance? Is there a name?

Conservatives and Racism

Conservative dogma does not sanction racism. However racists tend to identify as conservative, tend to vote republican, and feel comfortable among conservatives.

This doesn't mean, of course, that conservatives are racist, but it is incumbent upon conservatives to examine rightist dogma to discover why their political philosophy is indeed attractive to racists.
Democrats have labeled the Republican Party as the party of white.male, Christians. The make up of Congress would seem to bear this out. Republicans in Congress are 100% Christian, 89% white, and 75% male. With that kind of leadership, it's pretty hard to claim that you're the party of the people.

Why do these right wingers keep printing this same dumbass bullshit. I went to the OP's link and read the comments below. Clearly it was heavily edited.
Some simple questions they refuse to answer. Why do Republicans of today align themselves with the Confederates and was Lincoln a confederate? They purposely ignore the entire US history from 1960 to 1970. And how did the GOP become 90% white when it had a heavy black membership before 1960? And do they really believe blacks would join a party made up of KKK members? Or that the KKK would stay once black joined?

It's a delusion? It's tardedness? It's denial? I don't know what it is. Determined ignorance? Is there a name?

Abject self-delusion coupled with intellectual sloth. Visually represented thusly:

head%20in%20sand_opt.jpg

They need to look at a hell of a lot more history than 1960-1970. We have an OP who can't tell the difference between a party and an ideology; we have several who believe that whatever political party dynamics they see right now has been exactly the same since the fall of Rome; we had people come in and try to describe Abraham Lincoln as a corporatist, even after we posted extensive parts of his speech; we have one guy who thinks Karl Marx invented classes; and none of them will acknowledge the nose on their own face if you point it out to them.
:lalala:

Whattaya gonna do. You can lead an elephant to water but you can't make it think, or something like that.

But I would like to take a moment to thank CrusaderFrank for a rockin' sig line. :rock:

Conservatives and Racism

Conservative dogma does not sanction racism. However racists tend to identify as conservative, tend to vote republican, and feel comfortable among conservatives.

This doesn't mean, of course, that conservatives are racist, but it is incumbent upon conservatives to examine rightist dogma to discover why their political philosophy is indeed attractive to racists.
Democrats have labeled the Republican Party as the party of white.male, Christians. The make up of Congress would seem to bear this out. Republicans in Congress are 100% Christian, 89% white, and 75% male. With that kind of leadership, it's pretty hard to claim that you're the party of the people.

The divide here is clear - Democrats offer bribes and set-aside and polices based on race and this appeals to minority racial groups who are happy to be bribed. Republicans offer race neutral policies, no special racial set-asides and don't bribe any racial groups and this race-neutrality has a lot of appeal to whites and hardly any to blacks.

Blacks like to be bought. Whites don't want politics to be racial. The vote splits on that preference. Don't blame Republicans for being anti-racist.

Conservatives and Racism

The divide here is clear - Democrats offer bribes and set-aside and polices based on race and this appeals to minority racial groups who are happy to be bribed. Republicans offer race neutral policies, no special racial set-asides and don't bribe any racial groups and this race-neutrality has a lot of appeal to whites and hardly any to blacks.

Blacks like to be bought. Whites don't want politics to be racial. The vote splits on that preference. Don't blame Republicans for being anti-racist.

Republicans offer neutral policies???? You don't really believe such bullshit do you?
Blacks like to be bought???? That is so offensive. So you mean bought with stuff or bought like slaves? Your post doesn't make that clear.

1871? Do you know what happened between 1960 and 1970?

1871? Do you know what happened between 1960 and 1970?

I know the democrats embraced and supported the klan... Rpublicans never have

:lol: Yeah right. Except when they have. Like here...

and here....

and here...

More on that here...

and here...

and here...

and here....

I wish some of you clowns would be listening the first, second, third, fourth or fifth time we've gone over all this. The Klan was not a political organization but when the second (Simmons) iteration wanted to get into it they worked to get any of their people elected regardless which party could make that happen. In the midwest and west, that usually meant Republicans. They didn't care. Because again, as I illustrated at the beginning of this thread, the purpose of a political party is acquisition of power -- not ideology.

Crack a freaking history book at some point.

Klan is not politics; ideology is not party; Democrat/Republican today is not Democrat/Republican yesterday. You need to quit sniffin' the pixie dust and touch down in the real world.

Last edited:

and here....

and here...

More on that here...

and here...

and here....

I wish some of you clowns would be listening the first, second, third, fourth or fifth time we've gone over all this. The Klan was not a political organization but when the second (Simmons) iteration wanted to get into it they worked to get any of their people elected regardless which party could make that happen. In the midwest and west, that usually meant Republicans. They didn't care. Because again, as I illustrated at the beginning of this thread, the purpose of a political party is acquisition of power -- not ideology.

Klan is not politics; ideology is not party; Democrat/Republican today is not Democrat/Republican yesterday. You need to quit sniffin' the pixie dust and touch down in the real world.
The republican party as a party never embrace any klan. David Duke? :rofl:you're joking right? the republican party never supported that wack job.... town counsel? ok whose the KKK delegates at any Republican convention? Most Klansman were Democrats I give you credit for posting those few exceptions though

the "Democratic" party is still the same party. Sorry did they close up shop and start again? Maybe they should pay reparations

Last edited:
Conservatives and Racism

apparently in your world white male Christians are not people.

odd how blacks support de-segregation yet segregate themselves.

racists come in every color and every political affiliation. However the race baiters are far and away more leftist.

Heh. Not even close.
Easy example: Let's say a black man gets elected President. The right wing Fakes News channel then sets about making scary monster "stories" out of piddling shit like Jeremiah Wright, Van Jones, ACORN, Henry Louis Gates, Shirley Sherrod, something they call the "New Black Panthers", something they call the "knockout game", and you can add your own, in a constant stream of fearmongering.

None of those represent anything significant and none of them directly relate to the President, but guess what they all have in common. The Fakes News Channel knows its audience and plays on fears, real or imagined, especially imagined. And that pattern repeats all over the print and internet media, over and over and over. Because they all know what the gullibility level is, what public nerve to touch, i.e. what will sell. And that is race bait. If they were wrong about that theory --- it wouldn't sell. And they'd have to go find another angle.

But thanks for that low hanging fruit. It's hilarious.

and here....

and here...

More on that here...

and here...

and here....

The republican party as a party never embrace any klan. David Duke? :rofl:you're joking right? the republican party never supported that wack job.... town counsel? ok whose the KKK delegates at any Republican convention? Most Klansman were Democrats I give you credit for posting those few exceptions though

the "Democratic" party is still the same party. Sorry did they close up shop and start again? Maybe they should pay reparations

Once again, the KKK through history has used any vehicle they could for their purposes, whether it was Democrats, Republicans or most of the time, no politics at all. Because it was a socio-religious group, not a political group. It was actually one of several that sprang up after the Civil War (see the Knights of the White Camellia for another example), founded by veteran Confederate soldiers on the basis of Southern culture. Or what they thought was Southern culture.

Until the Simmons iteration in the early 20th century (second Klan, after the first died out in the 1870s) it was entirely confined to the South, which was also already entirely Democratic (for reasons I went into in post 8), which means if you were a Klansman in the South and you were a registered voter then you were most likely a Democrat, because that's where the access to power was. If you were a Democrat in New York you had nothing to do and nothing in common with the Klan; it was anathema to everything you stood for. Because as a social organization the KKK had nothing to do with the culture there. So what you're trying desperately to construct is a non sequitur. "Klan members are Democrats, therefore Democrats are Klan members". The same as saying "apples come from trees, therefore all trees make apples".

In other words if you were a Southerner who was not a Klansman and stood firm against them, you were also a Democrat.

Yet when it came time to expand nationally wth KKK2, that vehicle to access power in Indiana and Ohio and Colorado and Washington and California was the Republican party. Not for any particular ideology but simply because that's where the power was. At base one opportunist group (a racist vigilante group) using another opportunist group (a political party machine).

David Duke? He was and still is a Republican and was the Republican Party Chair for St. Tammany Parish. By your logic then, to be Klan today means to be Republican. Run with that and see where it takes you. Your logic would have to mean Klansmen are Republicans now. They may be by simple numerical association but that doesn't express a causation between the two either. And David Duke for his part represents part of the migration from the DP to the RP --- what I went over back in post 8. He used to be a Democrat too; like Thurmond, Lott, Helms and all the other racists in that migration, they knew where they weren't wanted and went were the power was. They don't really care whether they need to use the DP or the RP. It's whatever works.

Moreover if the DP historically had not been sitting in the poo of that dysfunctional bipolar constituency and had actually been driving shit like the Klan, it would not have experienced all those schisms -- party convention walkouts and wars in 1948 and 1924 and 1860, splinter candidates running against the party sucking votes out of the South, mass migration after the CRA 1964. That dysfunctional bipolar constituency belongs to the RP now. It's like buying a used car that has a history of trouble; you just pray you make it to your destination without breaking down. That's how you get foot-in-mouth incidents like Trent Lott at the birthday party. That didn't used to happen to Republicans. It's what can happen when you pick up hitchhikers.

What we have here is a false correlation using coincidental cultural characteristics and ignoring the cultural aspect that actually drives it. These simplistic fallacious associations insult and ignore history, and those who ignore their own history are doomed to relive it.

David Duke got zero support from the national Republican party most of those so called Republicans you cited were local candidates The "Demacratic" party is still racist, scum who use race like a conservative Republican never would

Is there any wonder why more blacks aren"t republicans? Sheesh the hatred they have to endure....

racists come in every color and every political affiliation. However the race baiters are far and away more leftist.

Heh. Not even close.
Easy example: Let's say a black man gets elected President. The right wing Fakes News channel then sets about making scary monster "stories" out of piddling shit like Jeremiah Wright, Van Jones, ACORN, Henry Louis Gates, Shirley Sherrod, something they call the "New Black Panthers", something they call the "knockout game", and you can add your own, in a constant stream of fearmongering.

None of those represent anything significant and none of them directly relate to the President, but guess what they all have in common. The Fakes News Channel knows its audience and plays on fears, real or imagined, especially imagined. And that pattern repeats all over the print and internet media, over and over and over. Because they all know what the gullibility level is, what public nerve to touch, i.e. what will sell. And that is race bait. If they were wrong about that theory --- it wouldn't sell. And they'd have to go find another angle.

You're hilarious pointing out any candidates connection to racist like Jeremiah Wright is warranted .It doesn't matter what race the candidate happens to be. I wonder how Allen West would be portrayed if he ran...Look what they did to Herman Cain...you too funny boy :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
David Duke got zero support from the national Republican party most of those so called Republicans you cited were local candidates The "Demacratic" party is still racist, scum who use race like a conservative Republican never would

Is there any wonder why more blacks aren"t republicans? Sheesh the hahttp://Conservatives and Racism Page 6 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum they have to endure....

He also got "zero" support from the state when he tried to run for gubbernor -- so much so that Sleaziana cars sported bumper stickers saying "vote for the crook -- it's important", referring to convicted felon Edwin Edwards. In other words a convicted felon was preferable to a KKKandidate. That's not the point. The point is that when Duke went to run for office (he also ran for President and successfully for state House), he did so as a Republican. Is that because he identifies with Republican ideology and that makes the two identical? Or is that because he was trying to appeal to a certain constituency?

Interesting side note-- Duke was born in Tulsa Oklahoma, site of the Tulsa Race Riots of 1921, arguably the worst race riot in this country's history, where an entire prosperous section of town called "the black Wall Street" was completely destroyed and even bombed from the air. Tulsa like the other places mentioned above was another bed of Klan instigation, and when a governor named Jack Walton came in and tried to eradidate that Klan influence, the KKK got him removed from office. Walton was a Democrat.

So these loose associations, again, just don't pass the smell test of history. Because you're not seeing the players for what their real actions and motivations are and instead plugging in unhinged fantasies from the frothing mouths of Limblobian demagogue shit-stirrers. And I know that's your source from your use of the malaprop "Democrat Party". Dead giveaway. Again, get your head out of the sand and stop swallowing simplistic fairy tales. Those fables are constructed on an agenda. And history proves that.

Heh. Not even close.

You're hilarious pointing out any candidates connection to racist like Jeremiah Wright is warranted .It doesn't matter what race the candidate happens to be. I wonder haw Allen West would be portrayed if he ran...Look what they did to Herman Cain...you too funny boy :eusa_eh:

Who is "they"?

Heh. Not even close.

You're hilarious pointing out any candidates connection to racist like Jeremiah Wright is warranted .It doesn't matter what race the candidate happens to be. I wonder haw Allen West would be portrayed if he ran...Look what they did to Herman Cain...you too funny boy :eusa_eh:

Who is "they"?
Liberal, leftist, scum

Forum List

Back