Congressional Reform Act of 2011

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Just got this in an email. I don't know if it's true, bullshit, from Buffett, not from Buffett, or anything else about it.

But I like it!

[FONT=&quot]Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:

"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971...before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land...all because of public pressure.

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Congressional Reform Act of 2011[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
1. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen.
Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!
[/FONT]

Just got this in an email. I don't know if it's true, bullshit, from Buffett, not from Buffett, or anything else about it.

But I like it!

[FONT=&quot]Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:

"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971...before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land...all because of public pressure.

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen.
Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.

[/FONT]

The Democrat Senators will never go for it.

DOA.

Not bad but you need to reform who can give money in an election.

Only Truthmatters should be allowed to give money to politicians. That way we can trust that it is going to the right people.
I can see why you only consider yourself a hobbyist. Even if you do spell it wrong.

Is there a problem with Truthmatters? So you want to be the arbitor of political largesse.

Can we trust you?

But I like it!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Really? Were going to fix congress's addicition to lobbiest money by attacking proper and justified income and benifits.

Thats fucking smart -not-

Really? Whose rights do you want to trample now?

Corporate power, cause there not people. They are souless monsters, eaters of profit who justify there own existence and greed by fueling the narcissim of there stockholders.
They should be stripped of the rights of human returned to there rightfull place, servants to population.

Right, the republicans would be completely on board.

But I like it!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

The Democrat Senators will never go for it.

DOA.

Congressional pension is a pension made available to members of the United States Congress. Members who participated in the congressional pension system are vested after five (5) years of service. A full pension is available to Members 62 years of age with 5 years of service; 50 years or older with 20 years of service; or 25 years of service at any age. A reduced pension is available depending upon which of several different age/service options is chosen. If Members leave Congress before reaching retirement age, they may leave their contributions behind and receive a deferred pension later.[1] The current pension program, effective January 1987, is under the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), which covers members and other federal employees whose federal employment began in 1984 or later. This replaces the older Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) for most members of congress and federal employees.

Congressional pension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AMENDMENT XXVII
Originally proposed Sept. 25, 1789. Ratified May 7, 1992.

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of representatives shall have intervened
The Constitution of the United States: Amendments 11-27

It would seem to me that if one wished to change the retirement benefits of Congress it would be a matter of doing one of two things. The easiest way would be for congress to bascially pass legislation setting their pension benefits or what program they participate in. The other way would be to create an Amendment that sets that for all of Congress which would seem to me a needless excerice, when it can already be set by legislation. The hard part would be getting them to actually do it. Would be a matter of finding candidates that people are willing to vote for that commit to do it. On a side note, I know of very few professions that one can be fully vested in after 5 years. I would also submit that 5 years of Military service would be MUCH more deserving of being vested than 5 years of congressional service.

Really? Some people or organizations get to give money but others don't? Is that fair, you guys just love fair. I'd rather limit the contribution to say $500 for everybody, no excpetions, and I'd funnel it through an independent group that checks the donor for legality. If it doesn't check out then the money goes into the US Treasury.

I'd also require 3rd party ads to be listed, who paid for it and no funny bu siness trying to hide identities. Actually, I'd rather outlaw all rd party ads, but that's probably a violation of the 1st amendment. At least we should ensure full transparency for who's paying for what.

But I like it!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
The first part is indeed from Warren Buffet. The remainder is editorial comment from someone else. Still, the ideas are quite in line with what should be done regarding congressmen and their perks. There is absolutely no valid reason that they should be granted any privileges, retirement programs, medical care of other benefits that exceed those available to the average citizen.

The problem is, they vote themselves these things and it will be difficult to take them away. Maybe an executive order by the President could do that.

Forum List

Back