congress-puts kibosh on westboros-military-funeral-protests

Nova78

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado
Congress Puts Kibosh On Westboro's Military Funeral Protests| News | Towleroad)

Hateful Westboro Baptist Church's protests at military funerals may soon be a thing of the past. The Senate today passed an "Honoring America's Veterans" bill that includes an amendment barring protests two hours before and two hours after military funerals.

The Huffington Post offers more details:

According to "The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012," which is now headed to President Barack Obama's desk, demonstrators will no longer be allowed to picket military funerals two hours before or after a service. The bill also requires protestors to be at least 300 feet away from grieving family members

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

View attachment $untitled.bmp What a piece of shit....

Hateful Westboro Baptist Church's protests at military funerals may soon be a thing of the past. The Senate today passed an "Honoring America's Veterans" bill that includes an amendment barring protests two hours before and two hours after military funerals.

According to "The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012," which is now headed to President Barack Obama's desk, demonstrators will no longer be allowed to picket military funerals two hours before or after a service. The bill also requires protestors to be at least 300 feet away from grieving family members

View attachment 20304 What a piece of shit....

This is very good. I still cannot wrap my head around the concept of those people. What an absolutely hateful group of people!

i sure the hell hope the ussc overturns anything like this.....

they are protesting on public property....there should be no restrictions

These Westboro people are absolute shit.

Especially their leader Democrat John Phelps who won 31% of the vote for US Senate.

But I digress.

As disgusting and distasteful as they are, do we really want Congress making laws that abridge freedom of speech?

The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012, which is expected to be signed into law by President Obama, will impose new restrictions on funeral protesters by increasing the quiet time before and after military funerals, and increasing the size of the buffer zone between protesters and the entrance to a funeral. It also increases criminal and civil penalties on violators.

The bill, which passed unanimously in the Senate, includes legislation authored by Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine).

“Protests that encroach upon the funerals and burials of our fallen soldiers are repugnant and inappropriate, and they undermine the respect military families and loved ones undeniably deserve,” Snowe said after Congress passed the bill.

The law prohibits protesting within two hours of the beginning or end of a service, and it requires protesters to remain at last 300 feet away from grieving family members.

Westboro Baptist Church spokesman Steve Drain told CNN on Friday that the law would have little effect on church protests.

"That’s really not going to change our plans at all," he said. "We’re going to continue to do that. We’re also going to continue to obey all laws."

Read more here: Bill increases restrictions on protests at soldiers’ funerals | Wichita Eagle

I don't think that what they are doing qualifies for freedom of speech. They can say what they want, just not in the airspace they've grown accustomed to.

Sometimes freedom of speech means defending the indefensible. Hard though it may be. Overturn it. Allow them their hatred. It's what this country was founded on.

I may find what they say absolutely disgusting, but I will defend their right to say it.

I'm assured they just want freedom of speech.

i hate the invention of 'free speech' zones....i remember when the whole country was a free speech zone...if one looks closely i do believe clinton was the first to use a 'free speech' zone....since the first day i joined this board...i have said...freedom of speech is the drum i beat...i believe you are free to say what you want....but i also believe their are consequences to your actions and your words....

wbc is hated by all but those inbreeds who are in the family...it is a family of lawyers who make a living suing small towns...etc...when you think of wbc you need to think of the quote....when facisim comes to american it will be wrapped in a flag carrying a cross....

it is easy to defend freedom of speech for those you agree with...much harder when its nut cases like wbc but they are entitled to say what they please and the zombies are entitled to show up and shout them out...it was one thing when the organize patriotic guard....would show up and drown them out....but now facebook zombies are doing it...and i get it...the zombies are attacting more attention than the wbc.

that is the idea of the soapbox to begin with...everyone gets to be heard

I hope the President sides with the Constitution and doesn't sign this bill.

Yea, you 'hope' that. I'll stick with 'hoping' it goes to the SC... they - at least in theory -will uphold the Constitution. Your president, not so much.

Yea, you 'hope' that. I'll stick with 'hoping' it goes to the SC... they - at least in theory -will uphold the Constitution. Your president, not so much.

It already has gone to the SCOTUS.

By an 8-1 vote, the high court said members of Westboro Baptist Church had a right to promote what they call a broad-based message on public matters such as wars.​

This is very good. I still cannot wrap my head around the concept of those people. What an absolutely hateful group of people!

The problem is, this is probably unconstitutional. I think the Congressmen know this, but they know that someone like the ACLU is going to have to get into the mud and fight this law.

Phelps and his bunch are hateful, but they are also very clever. They make their money from doing this agit-prop nonsense, and then sue anyone who stops them. They've made a lot of money when the insurance companies decide paying them off is cheaper than litigating.

I totally agree with you..................... They can shove him right up there asses in January.. maybe Sell shoes with him.

The problem is, this is probably unconstitutional. I think the Congressmen know this, but they know that someone like the ACLU is going to have to get into the mud and fight this law.

Phelps and his bunch are hateful, but they are also very clever. They make their money from doing this agit-prop nonsense, and then sue anyone who stops them. They've made a lot of money when the insurance companies decide paying them off is cheaper than litigating.

This makes Congress look good, the ACLU look bad. Everyone wins, right?

But let's be honest, he probably will. Come on, Veteran's Funerals. Legal issues aside, it hits all the emotional buttons. Even folks who chowed down on Chik-Fil-A Wednesday think this is going too far.

Same reason Bush-41 signed flag burning laws and Clinton signed DOMA. They knew damned well those things were unconstitutional, but figured the Judiciary would take the heat for them.

Forum List

Back