OK, it is rare that I will cheer restrictions on 1st Amendment rights, but...

Strongly suspect it will not be upheld by the supreme court, and it shouldn't be. Westboro Baptist Church is offensive, but living a life free of being offended is not a right.

• Banned
Strongly suspect it will not be upheld by the supreme court, and it shouldn't be. Westboro Baptist Church is offensive, but living a life free of being offended is not a right.

Why? They're not denying them their right to protest, they're simply creating reasonable conditions under which they can protest to promote public safety.

Namely, their own safety.

Last edited:
Bottom line is that you either have the right to free speech or you don't
There is no middle ground. The is no such thing as limited freedom of speech.

• Banned
Offensive speech is exactly what needs protecting.

They can say whatever they want. They simply can't do it at someone's funeral.

At least 2 hours before, or 2 hours after said funeral, at the site of the funeral.

That's about as reasonable a condition as one could ask.

• Banned

They can go to a nice location well away from the funeral and protest their hearts out.

Hell, they can go to a nearby public park, and camp out for the next 5 months, to protest.

As long as they don't do it for a 4-hour window, around a funeral.

Last edited:
Offensive speech is exactly what needs protecting.

They can say whatever they want. They simply can't do it at someone's funeral.

At least 2 hours before, or 2 hours after said funeral, at the site of the funeral.

That's about as reasonable a condition as one could ask.

I'm siding with the far right, but too much has been chipped away already. (LIKE THE CONCEPT OF INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY IN FLORIDA.) If their insanity impacts attendees, then arrest the scumbags.

Wrong. No right is absolute.

It's true.

There are always exceptions, when given radical enough circumstances.

People do not have the absolute right to fire weapons in a crowded town square.

People do not have the absolute right to yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

You know the funny thing about Westboro?

I recently learned that they dont think ANY of us are going to Heaven, not even themselves. They arent trying to change our minds about anything other than that. LOL. They actually believe they are just doing us a service by letting us know that God hates us all ( including them ) and is going to send us to hell ( including them )

Oh and while I agree with the idea that these people shoudlnt be allowed to protest at a funeral, I say the best way to do that is like this:

Texas A&M Students Form Human Wall To Block Westboro Baptist Church Protestors From Soldier Roy Tisdale's Funeral (PHOTOS)

original.jpg

The court has long upheld that obscene speech can be limited.

Its hard to imagine how a reasonable person wouldn't view this form of speech as obscene.

The court has long upheld that obscene speech can be limited.

Its hard to imagine how a reasonable person wouldn't view this form of speech as obscene.

I wouldnt call what they say obscene...mostly...maybe the God hates Fags stuff. But the God hates YOU stuff...not obscene just a really really messed up opinion.

In just wish theyd find a better forum to express that opinion...

like Foo Fighters concerts! ( God I love the Foo! )

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWSeDYTHtiQ]Foo Fighters sing to Westboro in counter-protest - YouTube[/ame]

and ComicCon!

Super Heroes vs. the Westboro Baptist Church - ComicsAlliance | Comic book culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews

img0989-1279832630.jpg

Last edited:
According to "The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012," demonstrators will no longer be allowed to picket military funerals two hours before or after a service. The bill also requires protestors to be at least 300 feet away from grieving family members.

The courts will likely be called upon to determine if these restrictions constitute unwarranted prior restraint.

Under nearly every theory of free speech, the right to free speech is at its core the right to communicate — to persuade and to inform people through the content of one’s message. The right must also generally include in considerable measure the right to offend people through that content, since much speech that persuades some people also offends others.

Persuading and informing people may certainly cause harm; the listeners might be persuaded to do harmful things. But the premise of modern First Amendment law is that the government generally may not (with a few narrow exceptions) punish speech because of a fear, even a justified fear, that people will make the wrong decisions based on that speech: “[T]he people in our democracy are entrusted with the responsibility for judging and evaluating the relative merits of conflicting arguments.... f there be any danger that the people cannot evaluate the information and arguments advanced by [speakers], it is a danger contemplated by the Framers of the First Amendment.” Thus, punishing speech because its content persuades, informs, or offends especially conflicts with the free speech guarantee, more so than punishing speech for reasons unrelated to its potential persuasive, informative, or offensive effect.

The Volokh Conspiracy - Content-Based Speech Restrictions vs. Content-Neutral Speech Restrictions:

As vile as these people are, they have the same rights I do and the same as you. I'm horrified that the congress would even consider changing the rules for some while upholding those same rules for others.

We all, right and left, need to fight this. Loud and long, write your congressperson and ask them to vote against this.

Forum List

Back