Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban

Incandescent bulbs are dead. We have moved on. In five years you will not be able to find them

I advise you to stock up on them and store them with your eight track tapes

One can still buy vinyl records...should Congress outlaw those as well?

Yea....I go down to the record store all the time. It's in the mall right next to the light bulb store

So Congress should ban records or not? BTW, the biggest single store selling music in my town specializes in vinyl. My town is Los Angeles.

Amoeba Music > Store Locations

Why buy vinyl when .wav format on computers will sound far, far, far, far, far superior to anything you could ever hope for from vinyl?

Ha! Funny isn't it how 'obsolete technology' sometimes blows away the latest and greatest. And those new light bulbs shine such a pleasant glow don't they? Far, far, far, far superior to the spectrum of incandescent bulbs. This is why you see photographers and art studios using florescent lights whenever possible...

Some of these dolts would be happy to have the government tell them when they can and when they cannot take a shit. How pathetic.

Actually, I like the new lighting. I hate yellow light, it annoys me.

Nice to have a choice then, isn't it?

Yea....I go down to the record store all the time. It's in the mall right next to the light bulb store

So Congress should ban records or not? BTW, the biggest single store selling music in my town specializes in vinyl. My town is Los Angeles.

Thanks for proving that the music industry is still in the dark ages of technology. No wonder why people just fucking pirate everything. Don't blame them one bit. If the industry can't adapt with technology, it doesn't deserve to be there.

Ha! Funny isn't it how 'obsolete technology' sometimes blows away the latest and greatest. And those new light bulbs shine such a pleasant glow don't they? Far, far, far, far superior to the spectrum of incandescent bulbs. This is why you see photographers and art studios using florescent lights whenever possible...

Some of these dolts would be happy to have the government tell them when they can and when they cannot take a shit. How pathetic.

Actually, I like the new lighting. I hate yellow light, it annoys me.

You have the same choices in CFL's.
Several light spectrums available.

I am against banning the 100 W incandescents, however I recognige that by and large people are too stupid to see any long term necessary goals. Hence I accept such regulations as a consequence of living among primitive humans.

Last edited:

Thanks for proving that the music industry is still in the dark ages of technology. No wonder why people just fucking pirate everything. Don't blame them one bit. If the industry can't adapt with technology, it doesn't deserve to be there.

Well that's an entirely different subject. We're talking about Congress banning certain technologies that people want. I agree it's the industry that must adapt, not government.

Once again, glad to see Congress has it's eye on what this country really needs

Hell with passing a budget, they cant be bothered with attacking the debt problem. What this country really needs is light bulbs and a Canadian pipeline

You are free to restrict your own choices in any way you like. Leave the rest of us the fuck alone.

Huh?

I had some impression that this was a discussion board?
You seem to misunderstand my position on this matter.

imho it is short sightedness not to reduce energy consumption if we can.
The cost WILL be paid and the sooner we pay it the cheaper it is.

Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban - Washington Times

Good deal! It's a start.

We need to vote in a lot more conservatives before we can undo all the destructive Democrat policies of the last (almost) six years.

I cant get excited about this....................

I have already changed mine, realized the savings and wont go back.

Unfortunately for me, my husband is a Democrat and he thinks those bendy straw lightbulbs are great.

I think they aren't because you have to turn on twice as many lights to see what you could with ONE 100 watt bulb.

I have to turn on every light in the kitchen (five) when I could just turn on ONE incadescent bulb. And if a bulb breaks, I can just sweep it up and throw it away. I don't need hazmat to come out to throw it away.

No amount of reason will convince him, they are stupid. I don't see where we have saved a dime in electricity.

I pick my battles with him. (sigh)

Don't ask me how a conservative like me every fell in love with a Democrat like him, I don't know myself.

We just did.

Obviously, we don't discuss politics at home.

:D

Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban - Washington Times

Good deal! It's a start.

We need to vote in a lot more conservatives before we can undo all the destructive Democrat policies of the last (almost) six years.

I cant get excited about this....................

I have already changed mine, realized the savings and wont go back.

Those CFL bulbs don't work outside in the cold.

Strange I use them in my outbuildings and they have come on fine at sub zero temps.
Allbeit they start out at about 60% full brightenss but theat comes up in a couple of minutes.

They have finally come out with CFL's Over 100W (light equivalency).

Why buy vinyl when .wav format on computers will sound far, far, far, far, far superior to anything you could ever hope for from vinyl?

Speaking as an artist.

Artists and photographers use a type of flourescent light called an Ott Light which is specially made to reproduce natural lighting. The bulbs and fixtures are extremely expensive. You wouldn't think of using them for lighting in your home. Flourescent lights and swirl lights are narrow spectrum lights that are especially hard on the eyes. As a tip, if someome wishes to preserve their vision, they would use both the new kind of lighting and incandescent lighting to broaden the spectrum. Eyes are designed for optimal vision in sunlight. Everything else is eye-strain except for the proprietary Ott Light.

One of the very few things Congress has done in recent years that makes perfect sense. Banning light bulbs was a ridiculous Big Government over-reach. Kudos to Congress on this one.

Last edited:

You are free to restrict your own choices in any way you like. Leave the rest of us the fuck alone.

Huh?

I had some impression that this was a discussion board?
You seem to misunderstand my position on this matter.

imho it is short sightedness not to reduce energy consumption if we can.
The cost WILL be paid and the sooner we pay it the cheaper it is.

Then reduce your energy consumption and stop forcing your beliefs on others.

Speaking as an artist.

Artists and photographers use a type of flourescent light called an Ott Light which is specially made to reproduce natural lighting. The bulbs and fixtures are extremely expensive. You wouldn't think of using them for lighting in your home. Flourescent lights and swirl lights are narrow spectrum lights that are especially hard on the eyes. As a tip, if someome wishes to preserve their vision, they would use both the new kind of lighting and incandescent lighting to broaden the spectrum. Eyes are designed for optimal vision in sunlight. Everything else is eye-strain except for the proprietary Ott Light.

Speaking as a scientist here;

Photopic vision relates to human vision at high
ambient light levels (e.g. during daylight conditions) when vision is mediated by the cones. The photopic vision regime applies to luminance levels > 3 cd/m^2. Scotopic vision relates to human
vision at low ambient light levels (e.g. at night) when vision is mediated by rods. Rods have a much higher sensitivity than the cones. However, the sense of color is essentially lost in the scotopic vision regime. At low light levels such as in a moonless night, objects lose their colors and only appear to have different gray levels. The scotopic vision regime applies to luminance levels < 0.003 cd/m^2. Mesopic vision relates to light levels between the photopic and scotopic vision regime (0.003 cd/m^2 < mesopic luminance < 3 cd/m).

Since we are speaking about high luminance levels, the sun emits a wavelength in the green spectrum primarily. The reason it appears white is the multitude of other wavelengths it also emits (including non-visible). It would be very easy to simulate sunlight for humans with LED's, it would not be expensive either.

Last edited:
Big Government should ban that bad ole Sun. It definitely uses too much energy and it's melting shit all the time. What about them Polar Icecaps? What did they ever do to anyone? Yea,something has to be done with the Sun. It's time for Big Government to act.

Big Government should ban that bad ole Sun. It definitely uses too much energy and it's melting shit all the time. What about them Polar Icecaps? What did they ever do to anyone? Yea,something has to be done with the Sun. It's time for Big Government to act.

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." MF

Speaking as an artist.

Speaking as a scientist here;

Photopic vision relates to human vision at high
ambient light levels (e.g. during daylight conditions) when vision is mediated by the cones. The photopic vision regime applies to luminance levels > 3 cd/m^2. Scotopic vision relates to human
vision at low ambient light levels (e.g. at night) when vision is mediated by rods. Rods have a much higher sensitivity than the cones. However, the sense of color is essentially lost in the scotopic vision regime. At low light levels such as in a moonless night, objects lose their colors and only appear to have different gray levels. The scotopic vision regime applies to luminance levels < 0.003 cd/m^2. Mesopic vision relates to light levels between the photopic and scotopic vision regime (0.003 cd/m^2 < mesopic luminance < 3 cd/m).

Since we are speaking about high luminance levels, the sun emits a wavelength in the green spectrum primarily. The reason it appears white is the multitude of other wavelengths it also emits (including non-visible). It would be very easy to simulate sunlight for humans with LED's, it would not be expensive either.

I recall hearing something about LEDs being superior to CFRs but I can't remember where now. People look simply ghastly under CFR light. Incandescent is at least a softer light.

That ban is fucking retarded. That's exactly the kind of unnecessary regulation people are complaining about.

George Bush is a Democrat? :confused:
W always had 'useful idiot' tendencies. TARP, QE 1, the "green" Energy Bill, NCLB, Dept. of Homeland Security, the TSA, Medicare Part D.

All efforts to curry the left's favor which did damage to this nation.
Yes, we need to roll a lot of stuff back.

Forum List

Back