Concrete Cowboy, Fletcher Street Riding Club

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I watched Concrete Cowboy last night. It was on Netflix. What I didn't realize is that there is a Fletcher Street Riding Club.
Here is the link to the place and I guess the movie created some confusion so that's where I am linking to. It's right next to the donation tab because they need a more permanent place. News | FSURC

I had no idea that anything like this even existed in Philadelphia. It's pretty cool. I am one hundred percent aware of black cowboys in the past and currently as well as rodeos. I am also one hundred percent aware of equine therapy which is fantastic btw.

Idris Elba, Caleb McLaughlin, and Jharrel Jerome star in Netflix’s Concrete Cowboy, a Western drama about a 15-year-old boy named Cole (McLaughlin) who moves from Detroit to Philadelphia where he lives with his father and joins a local cowboy group. After he begins to enjoy the life of a horseman, Cole learns the city plans to close the stables. The film was adapted from G. Neri’s fictional book Ghetto Cowboy which he wrote after reading a profile about young Black cowboys in LIFE magazine. Although the story is not true, the twist is very close to what's happening to one of the real riding clubs that inspired it.

Ghetto Cowboy, and thus Concrete Cowboy, was inspired by groups of real-life Black horsemen like Philadelphia’s Fletcher Street Urban Riding Club, who were profiled in the LIFE article. Concrete Cowboy filmed on location in the city of brotherly love — on Fletcher Street, to boot — to capture the equestrian lifestyle which could soon be stripped from the community. The land shown in the movie is currently at risk of being taken away from the FSURC and their horses.

and here:

Forum List

Back