Companies do not pay taxes

I read it.
And you never know what your profit margin is on those sales?
Give me a break.
If you have been in business that long my man you know exactly or very close what your profit margin is on each sale and built into that is what you know your taxes will be.
Do not sit there and tell me you do not have a good idea what your taxes are on each sale and have that figured into your pricing BEFORE YOU SELL IT.
That is how it is done and that is how YOU DO it if you are in business for that long.
Unless you have a rich uncle.

Yes, and of course. BUT what I've been trying to say since this thread was started... I, as well as many other corporations, am NOT able to pass along ANY operational costs to the consumer. Not my tax cost, not my labor, overhead, materials, maintenance, utilities, etc.

That's generally how commodities work. Agriculture, oil, gas...

Understandable.... The taxes you can not pass along cuts into your profit, thus you may go out of business. So then you don't pay any taxes. The government loose revenue and prices raise on your product. Then the consumer pays more.

If companies can not make a profit when taxes raise, they go out of business.

That is why I hate our tax code. Businesses and workers should pay NO taxes. Get rid of the income and corp. taxes and replace it with a consumption tax.

a consumption tax is very regressive, discourages consumption, and has no Republican support at all because it would just be another tax
on top of all the other taxes. IT would be very simple and cheap to administer though.

Yes, and of course. BUT what I've been trying to say since this thread was started... I, as well as many other corporations, am NOT able to pass along ANY operational costs to the consumer. Not my tax cost, not my labor, overhead, materials, maintenance, utilities, etc.

That's generally how commodities work. Agriculture, oil, gas...

Understandable.... The taxes you can not pass along cuts into your profit, thus you may go out of business. So then you don't pay any taxes. The government loose revenue and prices raise on your product. Then the consumer pays more.

That is why I hate our tax code. Businesses and workers should pay NO taxes. Get rid of the income and corp. taxes and replace it with a consumption tax.

a consumption tax is very regressive, discourages consumption, and has no Republican support at all because it would just be another tax
on top of all the other taxes. IT would be very simple and cheap to administer though.

http://www.fairtax.org

It will replace all income tax, payroll tax, and capital gain tax.

And with the Fair Tax, it is not regressive...it is progressive with the prebate.

It is the best tax system I know of.

in your dreams it might but in reality it has 0% chance and is not even on the menu.

Of course it's not in the menu...it's big business and politicians worst nightmare because it limits their power. But if the people want it bad enough..it will happen.

So spread the word..:).

FairTax Video - Americans For Fair Taxation

And with the Fair Tax, it is not regressive...it is progressive with the prebate.

Whether you want to believe it or not, consumption/sales taxes are regressive. Everyone who buys the same object, (rich, poor, middle class,) pays the same tax. That is the very definition of regressive taxation. Since it adds cost to the consumer it reduces demand thus it will reduce government revenue.

In fact the most fair tax system of all would eliminate all consumption/sales taxes, property taxes, ad valorem taxes, fuel taxes etc. All taxes should be income taxes with progressive tax rates as income goes up and there should be no deductions other than cost to earn your income such that only actual earnings are taxed.

Last edited:

Whether you want to believe it or not, consumption/sales taxes are regressive. Everyone who buys the same object, (rich, poor, middle class,) pays the same tax. That is the very definition of regressive taxation. Since it adds cost to the consumer it reduces demand thus it will reduce government revenue.

In fact the most fair tax system of all would eliminate all consumption/sales taxes, property taxes, ad valorem taxes, fuel taxes etc. All taxes should be income taxes with progressive tax rates as income goes up and there should be no deductions other than cost to earn your income such that only actual earnings are taxed.
You will confuse ed with this one. He will be obliged to go back to con dogma. Of to see what his heroes, the Koch bros, would say. so he can repeat it.

There are many businesses that do not have the means to pass along costs of any kind to the consumer.

And they go out of business when their costs increase beyond that point... wait, isn't that what our "leaders" in Washington are trying to accomplish?

Immie

You will confuse ed with this one. He will be obliged to go back to con dogma. Of to see what his heroes, the Koch bros, would say. so he can repeat it.

whats fair about that?? why would the rich pay more for governement than than the poor. Would it be fair for the rich to pay more in a supermarket too??

in your dreams it might but in reality it has 0% chance and is not even on the menu.

Of course not because it eliminates so much of the corruption in Washington because Congress won't be able to play games with the tax rates to favor their corporate masters. There is no way in Hell they will allow it to replace the crap we have today. Same thing for the "Flat Tax".

Immie

Of course not because it eliminates so much of the corruption in Washington because Congress won't be able to play games with the tax rates to favor their corporate masters. There is no way in Hell they will allow it to replace the crap we have today. Same thing for the "Flat Tax".

Immie

I'm with you! In fact, even better would be to have the tax paid on election day, out of your savings, for the entire years consumption rather than hidden in every little purchase.
There would not be a single Democrat left!

Immie

I'm with you! In fact, even better would be to have the tax paid on election day, out of your savings, for the entire years consumption rather than hidden in every little purchase.
So, Immanuel, we must have instances of income tax reductions during times of bad unemployment when unemployment got better. Or you are wrong. So, when was it?
Now, unemployment was high when clinton took office. He raised taxes, unemployment went down and we had a very very strong economy. Now, where is that instance where reducing taxes helped? And yes, I am expecting total silence from you.

Immie

So, Immanuel, we must have instances of income tax reductions during times of bad unemployment when unemployment got better. Or you are wrong. So, when was it?
Now, unemployment was high when clinton took office. He raised taxes, unemployment went down and we had a very very strong economy. Now, where is that instance where reducing taxes helped? And yes, I am expecting total silence from you.

How am I wrong, when I say that Congress will not pass the Fair Tax because doing so will reduce the control they have over the country?

What does unemployment and taxes have to do with whether or not Congress is willing to give up the control they have?

The Fair Tax removes the power that Congress has to manipulate tax rates to favor their masters and that is why it will never be passed and signed into law. By the way, for the internet challenged, The Fair Tax does not reduce taxes, it is revenue neutral. Look it up at: Americans For Fair Taxation

Please tell me you don't believe Congress is good hearted and would be willing to give up the control they have if it were right for the country.

Immie

Now, where is that instance where reducing taxes helped?

Perhaps if you were smart, you would get to know me before you made yourself look like a fool.

You think I have been asking for lower tax rates? You have not read me defending a single tax cut on this site.

Obviously, you have not read anything I have said about taxes. I'm all for raising taxes on the rich and even the middle class if it will increase revenues, but I also demand a decrease in spending and I am not in the least bit opposed to cutting defense with everything else, in fact, if cutting entitlements meant hungry children went longer between meals, I would save the entitlements and fight for the children (as well as ask for larger cuts in defense)... although, I think there is plenty of government waste in the entitlement programs that we could deal with.

And by the way, the Fair Tax is designed to be revenue neutral at this point, tax rates could be raised and lowered at any time, but under the Fair Tax there would be no "loopholes" that Congress could create to benefit their masters.

No single tax policy works all the time, not the "Trickle Down" variety nor Obama's "Flood the Basement" mentality. It takes constant movement to keep the economy flowing. I am more than willing to admit that I do not know which direction is the best to take at this point in time. Personally, I think it will take raising taxes and I will even say higher than they were pre Bush Tax Cuts, but I am not sure what will work.

I am, however, opposed to treating rich people as if this is all their fault and they have to be penalized for being rich. Ask them to pay more because we need them to but it sickens me when liberals make them out to be anti-American just because they are rich.

Now, please tell me where you got the idea that I was calling for a decrease in the tax rates.

Immie

Perhaps if you were smart, you would get to know me before you made yourself look like a fool.

You think I have been asking for lower tax rates? You have not read me defending a single tax cut on this site.

Obviously, you have not read anything I have said about taxes. I'm all for raising taxes on the rich and even the middle class if it will increase revenues, but I also demand a decrease in spending and I am not in the least bit opposed to cutting defense with everything else, in fact, if cutting entitlements meant hungry children went longer between meals, I would save the entitlements and fight for the children (as well as ask for larger cuts in defense)... although, I think there is plenty of government waste in the entitlement programs that we could deal with.

And by the way, the Fair Tax is designed to be revenue neutral at this point, tax rates could be raised and lowered at any time, but under the Fair Tax there would be no "loopholes" that Congress could create to benefit their masters.

No single tax policy works all the time, not the "Trickle Down" variety nor Obama's "Flood the Basement" mentality. It takes constant movement to keep the economy flowing. I am more than willing to admit that I do not know which direction is the best to take at this point in time. Personally, I think it will take raising taxes and I will even say higher than they were pre Bush Tax Cuts, but I am not sure what will work.

I am, however, opposed to treating rich people as if this is all their fault and they have to be penalized for being rich. Ask them to pay more because we need them to but it sickens me when liberals make them out to be anti-American just because they are rich.

Now, please tell me where you got the idea that I was calling for a decrease in the tax rates.

Immie
Sorry, maybe I misread you. But I do have major problems with the fair tax. As I would with any tax proposal supported by Mike Huckabee as well as Reps. Tom Tancredo and Duncan Hunter. I believe it is a great deal for the wealthy, and a poor deal for the middle class. Just more of the same redistribution of income that we have seen for the past 35 years. And it fully meets the requirements of Tancredo, Duncan, and Huckabee who are some of the best paid corporatists in congress. I think that the following link does a really good job of looking at the fair tax, and expresses my problems well:
FactCheck.org: Unspinning the FairTax

I did not think this way in the past, but over time I have become absolutly sure that the republican party is pretty much entirely owned by corporations and the wealthy. To the detriment of the middle class. And any time I see a proposal like this one, I am pretty certain I am seeing a shortcut to padding their wallets further. And that is why that I see you supporting another tax decrease for the wealthy.

Immie
Sorry, maybe I misread you. But I do have major problems with the fair tax. As I would with any tax proposal supported by Mike Huckabee as well as Reps. Tom Tancredo and Duncan Hunter. I believe it is a great deal for the wealthy, and a poor deal for the middle class. Just more of the same redistribution of income that we have seen for the past 35 years. And it fully meets the requirements of Tancredo, Duncan, and Huckabee who are some of the best paid corporatists in congress. I think that the following link does a really good job of looking at the fair tax, and expresses my problems well:

I did not think this way in the past, but over time I have become absolutly sure that the republican party is pretty much entirely owned by corporations and the wealthy. To the detriment of the middle class. And any time I see a proposal like this one, I am pretty certain I am seeing a shortcut to padding their wallets further. And that is why that I see you supporting another tax decrease for the wealthy.

Your apology is accepted.

I disagree with you about the Fair Tax. When you look at the bullshit we call our current tax code, it is definitely set up for the corporatists. By the way, Democrats are just as bad as Republicans.

The Fair Tax may not be the best alternative, but in my opinion, it is a hell of a lot better than what we have now and the prebate would go a hell of a long way to helping the poor. It has been a long time since I read up on the Fair Tax, but last I remember was that the prebate for a family of four was in the neighborhood of $450 a month. That would go a long way to feeding that family and couple that with Welfare and other services it would help a ton.

I don't see how taking control away from Congress could be a bad thing in any manner whatsoever. I believe the biggest problem we have in America today is the corruption in Washington DC. The corruption of both parties. Take away the tax decision making ability of Congress and you cut a big chunk of the corruption out of Washington.

I'm open to any idea that succeeds in doing that. Edit: Hell, I would gladly pay higher taxes to see that happen.

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

I disagree with you about the Fair Tax. When you look at the bullshit we call our current tax code, it is definitely set up for the corporatists. By the way, Democrats are just as bad as Republicans.

The Fair Tax may not be the best alternative, but in my opinion, it is a hell of a lot better than what we have now and the prebate would go a hell of a long way to helping the poor. It has been a long time since I read up on the Fair Tax, but last I remember was that the prebate for a family of four was in the neighborhood of $450 a month. That would go a long way to feeding that family and couple that with Welfare and other services it would help a ton.

I don't see how taking control away from Congress could be a bad thing in any manner whatsoever. I believe the biggest problem we have in America today is the corruption in Washington DC. The corruption of both parties. Take away the tax decision making ability of Congress and you cut a big chunk of the corruption out of Washington.

I'm open to any idea that succeeds in doing that. Edit: Hell, I would gladly pay higher taxes to see that happen.

Immie
So, my belief is that a progressive tax is the way to fairness. And that what the moneyed do to the tax code, through their paid lackeys, also known as congress, is the real problem. And the underlying problem is easy to identify. It is money in politics, plain and simple. And until we as a people understand that and demand that money be taken out of politics, we will get distorted tax programs. Be it the current tax mess, or the Fair Tax. It will be bent in favor of the politicians and those that pay them.
Relative to repubs or dems being equally bad, I disagree. A number of dems would like to see the money taken out of politics. I see no repubs, any more, that are interested. But over time, the difference will continue to get to be less, as more and more dems are bought.

Immie
So, my belief is that a progressive tax is the way to fairness. And that what the moneyed do to the tax code, through their paid lackeys, also known as congress, is the real problem. And the underlying problem is easy to identify. It is money in politics, plain and simple. And until we as a people understand that and demand that money be taken out of politics, we will get distorted tax programs. Be it the current tax mess, or the Fair Tax. It will be bent in favor of the politicians and those that pay them.
Relative to repubs or dems being equally bad, I disagree. A number of dems would like to see the money taken out of politics. I see no repubs, any more, that are interested. But over time, the difference will continue to get to be less, as more and more dems are bought.

You and I will just have to agree to disagree on the equality of corruption.

A number of dems would like to see the money taken out of politics.

Lip service, my friend, nothing but lip service. I'm tired of the lip service. What they say doesn't mean a doggone thing to me anymore. When they actually start taking real actions, then maybe I will pay them some attention.

Immie

Immie

You and I will just have to agree to disagree on the equality of corruption.

A number of dems would like to see the money taken out of politics.

Lip service, my friend, nothing but lip service. I'm tired of the lip service. What they say doesn't mean a doggone thing to me anymore. When they actually start taking real actions, then maybe I will pay them some attention.

Immie
You are wrong about it being just lip service. Look at who is trying to do something, and not just what is being said. Citizens United legislation pretty much tells it all. The law that says that money is conversation was passed by a conservative Supreme court, with all republican appointees voting for, all dem appointees voting against. A true effort at legislating from the bench.
Legislation to make contributors to pacs visible was opposed and defeated by a partisan republican vote. All efforts to eliminate Citizens United are dem efforts. Bills by dems with support by dems. Except of course, legislation by Sanders, an independent, but supported by dems. And only dems. No republican support for eliminating Citizens United from any Republicans. Here is the legislation out there, which shows it is not JUST lip service:
http://vanhollen.house.gov/uploadedfiles/legislative_framework_021110.pdf
Citizens United Constitutional Amendment Backed By Vermont Legislature
Citizens United Going Down? Democrats Introduce Constitutional Amendment To Overturn Ruling
Obama calls for constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United - POLITICO.com
You will find that there are no republican efforts to overturn CU. None at all.
Remember Romney's statement on the campaign trail that "corporations are people, too."? He said it because republicans believe that Citizens United gave the republicans a leg up by allowing corporations to contribute unlimited amounts of money to republican candidates. That Corporations are people and money is speech is the most extreme undermining of political integrity in any of the industrialized nations of the world. To people of those countries, allowing corporations to buy politicians in the US is UNBELIEVABLE. We now have legislation allowing what all other countries expressly outlaw. And I can find no republican who opposes it. And I can find no democrat who agrees with it. Which means to me that at least a good portion of the democratic congress will vote to eliminate the Citizens United legislation.
Recently, however, some republicans are at least voicing opposition to Citizens United. Many of the republicans have seen the state that they represent bring up legislation against Citizens United, and have felt that the backlash by the public against CU has caused them problems.

So you have now seen the basis of my political beliefs. It is the money. It is that famous old saying of following the money. It is my belief that our politics are owned by corporations and the very very rich. It is my belief that this is what determines how taxes are paid. And it is behind my belief of what is happening to the middle class in our country.

Last edited:
Sooner than later the producers will demand a fair tax.
Or we will leave to Panama, Cayman Islands or Costa Rica.
We have had it. Take it or leave is coming soon.

Forum List

Back