Commonwealth Games athletes help train budding gymnasts in Dubai

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It's great seeing adults go to the gym and take gymnastics which can't be an easy thing to master. I once knew a woman who was moving with her Pakisttani husband back to his home town to open women gyms. I hope she was sucessful.

Commonwealth Games athletes help train budding gymnasts in Dubai

Melanie Swan

July 22, 2015 Updated: July 22, 2015 06:50 PM

Related

DUBAI // The UAE’s first fully equipped, Olympic standard gymnastics facility is providing gymnasts of all ages and abilities with some welcome respite from the summer heat.

Classes led by double silver medal winning Commonwealth Games athlete Cristian Brezeanu are attracting people who have never set foot on a sprung floor, let alone attempted ring muscle ups, handstand walks or got to grips with parallel bars.

“It’s a different kind of fitness. It challenges your body and your mind. It challenges you in a different way, in a more fun and functional way,” said Mr Brezeanu who has represented both Romania and South Africa.

“A lot of people are bored doing weights or group classes and want something that’s different.”

Sara Tirabadi fits that bill perfectly. A keen contortionist and aerial silks performer, the 28-year-old was looking for a new challenge when she found out about the classes at Fit Republik in Sports City.

“I always wanted to learn gymnastics but never found anywhere,” said the Iranian expatriate who has lived in Dubai for six years.

“I like the challenge it gives me and I’m always keen to learn new things. It’s always fun and you can do it summer or winter.”

Mother-of-two Florence Chevalier, 32, was a gymnast as a child and decided to get back into the sport as “a good way to get out of the house”.

“It’s a way for me to get some me time,” said the Frenchwoman. “It’s a good way to escape and good to go back to something you were good at. It gives you a sense of self confidence.”

Head coach Florin Purge, who was also part of the Romanian national team, said the “originality” of the sport was the reason for its appeal.

“It’s good for strength and flexibility, good for the mind. It’s also nice to do something other people don’t do,” he said.

Continue reading at:

Commonwealth Games athletes help train budding gymnasts in Dubai The National

Forum List

Back