What's it like to travel on the longest daily-running train service in the US.

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
The scenery is captivating, but so are the characters, and when the narration ends, the passengers’ stories begin. “What brings you here?” I ask again and again, often opening the door to much more than I bargained for. There’s an absence of filter and instant friendliness among many Americans that makes conversation come easy — most don’t mind spilling their life story to a stranger. Amid the retirees, commuters and students, there’s a large family of traditionally dressed Amish — women in bonnets and demure dresses and men with long beards and braces — playing card games on the way home to Pennsylvania Dutch Country after the mother had a medical procedure in California. Two Japanese students who aren’t totally fluent in English only add to the unusual menagerie of travellers.

The next morning, as the sun rises over Utah, I wake up in my roomette, one of Amtrak’s sleeper cabins, which have seats that fold out into small bunks. I’m ready for another day of observation car antics, so I reconvene with the motley crew. A new conductor boarded the train overnight in Salt Lake City and has clearly drunk his morning coffee, calling out over the tannoy as if we’re on safari. “There’s a bald eagle!” he cries, followed shortly by, “See that herd of antelope?”. All of us in the observation car start playing a group game of I spy, letting out a collective gasp when the animals are spotted.

Last year we took a train trip to New Orleans on the Crescent line. Great trip and a memorable Thanksgiving.

Tip: Get the Roomette. The extra room is nice.

Forum List

Back