Common Core

Edgetho

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2012
Beyond partisan politics, beyond supporting one's own ideas over another's.

This is getting out of control, people. This is sick.

The Government takes our Tax money, seizes it, and turns it around to attack half the population...

Something's wrong with this Country and I can tell you what it is with one word.....

Common Core Pushing Social Justice . . . During Math Lessons…

Common-Core-State-Standards-550x196.png

If two community organizers are white, another one is black and the fourth is Asian, how many community organizers benefit from white privilege?

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Would you ever consider the question ‘Whom do you want to be president?’ to be asked of your third grader during a math class (or any class)?

Would you expect your fourth grader to be asked to create a chart of presidents along with their political persuasions? Or, how about a discussion on whether the 2000 presidential election resulted in a “fair” outcome? Or, what if the teacher for your sixth grader was advised to “be prepared” to discuss the “politically charged” 2000 election - all during math.

Common Core aligned, of course.

A curriculum developed by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics includes all of the above, all provided on the illuminations.nctm.org website, which claims to be the...

“primary contributor of resources for teaching and learning mathematics for grades pre-K—12.
”

The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics will be holding a conference April 9-12 in New Orleans where they will be discussing

“such crucial issues as formative assessment in the common core state standards, number and operations, social justice, teaching computational fluency with understanding, leveraging technology, and supporting new teachers.” [Emphasis added]

Social Justice? During math?

dimocraps

Last edited:
I guess the government using our Tax Dollars and the School System to brain wash your children isn't very important to you.

Wait until they tell their Teacher that you're smoking a joint in front of them. Or talking bad about a preferred politician.

Maybe then you'll notice.

But it will be too late by then.

It is quite obvious all of this is well above your ability to reason and then to calculate but you might get partial credit , (on a rubric you may get 2 of the total 5 points), which would be?
LOL
You are the Paranoia King!
You bitch about the education system so much it makes you look foolish to the point that you have no education.

I guess the government using our Tax Dollars and the School System to brain wash your children isn't very important to you.

Wait until they tell their Teacher that you're smoking a joint in front of them. Or talking bad about a preferred politician.

It is quite obvious all of this is well above your ability to reason and then to calculate but you might get partial credit , (on a rubric you may get 2 of the total 5 points), which would be?
LOL
You are the Paranoia King!
You bitch about the education system so much it makes you look foolish to the point that you have no education.

Here's a pro and con.
The Common Core State Standards: Two Views |*National Association of Scholars

It's unfortunate that the cons start off with "unconstitutional, usurption Lyndon Johnson (it was actually Ike), etc." But, the non-political oppositon that may make some sense is that common core gets away from actually imparting knowledge. The criticism is the gettysburg address can be analyzed w/o historical context and merely as the use of sentence composition and persuasion. Oppontends are not amused.

The pros point to the reality of education. You cannot teach Shakespere 101 or Most Important American Speeches in one year of language arts. The courses involve not just literature but learning to express one's self within our abbreviated communications of the social media age.

I think it's really more of the disagreement going back at least to the 1970s of teaching subject mastery v. crititcal thinking.

There are only TWO core competencies required in 21st century America:

1. Texting

2. Form-filling.
A. Welfare
B. Food stamps
C. Public housing

BTW, they're doing away with the electronic cards in favor of old fashioned food stamps. Food stamps with Obama's image on the front and lick-it-to-stick-it glue on the back. To use them you have to publicly lick Obama's backside and stick your stamps in the store's book. It's animal abuse to bring along your dog to do the slurping.

There are only TWO core competencies required in 21st century America:

1. Texting

2. Form-filling.
A. Welfare
B. Food stamps
C. Public housing

BTW, they're doing away with the electronic cards in favor of old fashioned food stamps. Food stamps with Obama's image on the front and lick-it-to-stick-it glue on the back. To use them you have to publicly lick Obama's backside and stick your stamps in the store's book. It's animal abuse to bring along your dog to do the slurping.

Don't forget, "Voting machine 101"

I don't really have a lot against people who take free stuff. I really don't. Yeah, I take some (well-deserved) shots at them once in a while but I can see where it would be nice to get thousands of dollars a Month in State and Federal 'Assistance' in the form of everything from Free School Lunches to Subsidized Housing and $200 per Month per Family Member in Food Stamps.

My wife and I could live on that kind of Grocery Money.... And we don't live on hamburger, cottage cheese and pork n' beans.

We'd also like some of the other Free Stuff™ dimocrap voters are getting.

If I had to do it over..... Nah, I have more self respect than that.

But anyway, it really isn't their job to say, "No, Thank You Mr democrap scumbag politician. We don't want no Free Stuff™."

Yeah, right. I'll take it myself.

It's the fault of the dimocrap scumbag politicians. THEY are the ones telling these people they need our help and can't survive without good ol' White Guilt Whitey.

Yessir, WGW (White Guilt Whitey) is there to tell you exactly what you want to hear and to steal from people who work for it and give to you.

Here's the racism (and the requisite elitism) in all of this.

And I do mean downright RACISM.

WGW (the dimocrap party) is telling these people that they're not good enough... WGW is telling these people they're not smart enough.... WGW is telling these people they're not industrious enough or educated enough or love their kids enough or want to stay married enough... And on and on etc, ad nauseam.

And folks.... That's a bunch of BULL SHIT.

That is racism. And elitism. Same thing, really.

Oh! Did you think I was talking about Black People in my rant? I wasn't. I am not. And to prove it, regardless of the errors and misspellings in all my first draft posts..... I won't edit this. That way you can be sure I didn't come back in and redact this . But I'm talking about the giant 'victim' wing of the party. Who are mostly white. But a lot of Blacks as well.

We Patriotic, non-racist, non-elitist Republicans, OTOH, believe that these people are just as smart, just as hard-working, love their families just as much as anybody else, just as willing to succeed as anybody else and then....

The dimocrap gubmint gets in the way.

Who wouldn't take the Free Stuff™ if it was offered to them? :dunno:

Who are the real racists in this world, people? Us or the ones that refuse to loose an entire group of people from an addiction. The Addiction to Free Stuff™

The same people I've been telling you about since I've been here.

dimocraps

Well, yes and no. The naysayers would say schools have no biz in portraying Chavez as a justice seeker and the growers (initially) as oppressors. The proponents would say it is proper to teach about unions, farm produce, international labor, etc via Chavez's life.

But all that overlooks the reality of schools. In the 60s, teaching Shakespear's Julius Ceaser was in vogue because it dealt with totaltarianism and the suppression of republicanism.

We've been doing this for hundreds of years. Horatio Alger wrote 100 books about Ragged Dick and up by the bootstraps.

Or, how about a discussion on whether the 2000 presidential election resulted in a “fair” outcome? Or, what if the teacher for your sixth grader was advised to “be prepared” to discuss the “politically charged” 2000 election - all during math.

Here is the lesson which teaches the difference between the popular vote and the electoral vote: A Swath of Red

A political map of the United States after the 2000 election is largely red, representing the Republican candidate, George W. Bush. However, the presidential race was nearly tied. Using a grid overlay, students estimate the area of the country that voted for the Republican candidate and the area that voted for the Democratic candidate. Students then compare the areas to the electoral and popular vote election results. Ratios of electoral votes to area are used to make generalizations about the population distribution of the United States.

If students have not seen the Who Won This Election? overhead from Lesson 2, use it as an opener for this lesson. Hide the statements at the bottom, and ask students who won. Many students will say "white" because it covers so much of the area of the map. Reveal the first paragraph. Ask students if they are surprised that the "gray" candidate got more popular votes, meaning that more voters cast their votes for that candidate. Now display the second paragraph. Again ask who won the election. The answer, as stated on the overhead, is the "white" candidate, George W. Bush, who received the most electoral votes. The map displays the winning political party for each state in the 2000 presidential election. Ask students why a larger area represents nearly the same number of voters. Explain that they will be investigating this conundrum in this lesson.

The election of 2000 was politically charged, so you should be prepared to address the issue. The merits of the electoral college are called into question during each presidential election, and some people have strong opinions.

On a blank transparency, draw a random irregular shape. Explain that you will be finding the area of "the state of Confusion." Ask students to brainstorm ways to estimate the area of the state. If no student suggests it, introduce the idea of estimating area using a square grid overlay. Lay the transparency grid paper over the state of Confusion and trace the border. Demonstrate that you can count squares to find the area. Be sure to point out partial squares, and ask students how they should be tackled. What should a student do if a square is 1/4 full? A good beginning strategy is to group half squares together to make 1. As your students work, you can help them do other groupings, such as a 1/4 square paired with a 3/4 square to make a whole square. Students will need to find the total number of squares to arrive at a final estimate of the area.

Students can work either individually or in groups. If groups are used, assign roles to each group member. For example, one person counts the squares, a second records the areas, and a third calculates the number of electoral votes earned by the candidate for the political party to which they are assigned (see explanation below).

The kids end up learning math and how our electoral system works. Real life stuff.

Or, how about a discussion on whether the 2000 presidential election resulted in a “fair” outcome? Or, what if the teacher for your sixth grader was advised to “be prepared” to discuss the “politically charged” 2000 election - all during math.

Here is the lesson which teaches the difference between the popular vote and the electoral vote: A Swath of Red

A political map of the United States after the 2000 election is largely red, representing the Republican candidate, George W. Bush. However, the presidential race was nearly tied. Using a grid overlay, students estimate the area of the country that voted for the Republican candidate and the area that voted for the Democratic candidate. Students then compare the areas to the electoral and popular vote election results. Ratios of electoral votes to area are used to make generalizations about the population distribution of the United States.

If students have not seen the Who Won This Election? overhead from Lesson 2, use it as an opener for this lesson. Hide the statements at the bottom, and ask students who won. Many students will say "white" because it covers so much of the area of the map. Reveal the first paragraph. Ask students if they are surprised that the "gray" candidate got more popular votes, meaning that more voters cast their votes for that candidate. Now display the second paragraph. Again ask who won the election. The answer, as stated on the overhead, is the "white" candidate, George W. Bush, who received the most electoral votes. The map displays the winning political party for each state in the 2000 presidential election. Ask students why a larger area represents nearly the same number of voters. Explain that they will be investigating this conundrum in this lesson.

The election of 2000 was politically charged, so you should be prepared to address the issue. The merits of the electoral college are called into question during each presidential election, and some people have strong opinions.

On a blank transparency, draw a random irregular shape. Explain that you will be finding the area of "the state of Confusion." Ask students to brainstorm ways to estimate the area of the state. If no student suggests it, introduce the idea of estimating area using a square grid overlay. Lay the transparency grid paper over the state of Confusion and trace the border. Demonstrate that you can count squares to find the area. Be sure to point out partial squares, and ask students how they should be tackled. What should a student do if a square is 1/4 full? A good beginning strategy is to group half squares together to make 1. As your students work, you can help them do other groupings, such as a 1/4 square paired with a 3/4 square to make a whole square. Students will need to find the total number of squares to arrive at a final estimate of the area.

Students can work either individually or in groups. If groups are used, assign roles to each group member. For example, one person counts the squares, a second records the areas, and a third calculates the number of electoral votes earned by the candidate for the political party to which they are assigned (see explanation below).

The kids end up learning math and how our electoral system works. Real life stuff.

And my 18 year old would say it makes no diff as they are all corrupt, and that you cannot make a difference working from within the political system. She may be right. She'll prolly end up with an MBA working for some corp.

The far right have no idea what Common Core is, for a fact.

48 states have adopted it, and the state agencies create the Knowledge, Skills, and Assessment.

The far right, particularly the social con reactionaries, are terrified that their children will be taught differently than at home.

Solution: private school, home school.

I think a math teacher should take points off a math test for misspelled words. Just because you are in math doesn't mean you can ignore everything else. An educator is an educator first, a math or English teacher (or whatever) second. Education needs to be rounded and carried across all subjects.

So using the electoral college system as the basis for a math class is a pretty cool idea. It helps explain our system of government as well as math and critical thinking at the same time, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The discussion makes kids start to think critically, which is sorely lacking these days, especially here on this forum.

How many people could defend the electoral system? This "Red Swath" lesson forces kids to debate the merits. Nothing wrong with that.

Critical thinking is an important math lesson. Math is supposed to teach logic. And critical thinking requires heavy duty logic. Critical thinking enables you not to drink some scammers' piss. And boy oh boy do I wish there were less piss drinkers around here!

Well, there's certainly a misapprehension. Common core identifies skills, and the exact materials used to teach those skills are not mandated. Here, there's some hysteria that kids will be taught all kinds of "liberal" ideas. But, when some local school uses some material soem whackadoolde finds offensive (e.g. Huck Finn or Dolan's cadillac) they go nuts.

The 2000 election is a good classroom example because it is a rare example of one person receiving the majority of popular votes while another person received the majority of electoral votes.

The 1960 World Series would be another excellent case study. The Yankees scored 55 runs, the Pirates scored 27 runs. And yet the Pirates won the series!

The idea behind Common core was alright.. But the asshats that wrote the lesson are Left Wing idiots and pushed their political agenda in the lessons.

The far right have no idea what Common Core is, for a fact.

48 states have adopted it, and the state agencies create the Knowledge, Skills, and Assessment.

The far right, particularly the social con reactionaries, are terrified that their children will be taught differently than at home.

Solution: private school, home school.

It's 45 and whenever fed funding becomes involved, well...
But there are
some that are revisting it.

Forum List

Back