Common Core – If the Unions Support it, There Must be Something Wrong.

The children have 5 books to cover in the first grade. It would be a luxury to be able to reread books, but not possible.

A story in each book? Or several?

Oh, several. We have three pre primers which are a series of stories, But easy stories then a hard bound book of much harder stories in a primer and a very hard book which is a 1st reader. No other grade asks so much of students than the first grade.

The Mexican American story appears early in the primer. Even I have difficulty with the pronunciation. The children had such a hard time with the story, that we lost sight of the plot and I just thought we were losing sight of the enjoyment of reading which is paramount in my classroom. Too much at a time. I can see introducing Spanish color in a story in second grade, but not first.

What I meant by that is the kids are reading their first books and the publishers are throwing in Spanish words. Let them learn how to read English before throwing in a foreign language. It is only introduced once and never repeated.

There are times when writing about the USA that Spanish words are appropriate. So many have crept into our vocabulary that it would be ridiculous to ignore them.

Forum List

Back