Comfrey

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
I cant remember if i have mentioned before... that since we have moved here, both Matthew and I have felt a presence of someone, not really inside our home...our home is fairly new....built in 2004 and we were the first owners to live in it, we bought in december of 2006...so the house is not haunted or anything like that.... :eek:...

But when walking around the property, woods, the vernal pool (pond) and fruit tree areas and garden area that we uncovered under the brush and pure old crap that seemed to have accumulated on this lot over the centuries....I have always felt that there was a man present...a man who loved the outside, who loved this spot where our house was positioned.

I know this sounds strange, but it is just the way it is, I don't know how else to explain it.

Anyway, I began asking questions to whoever was from around here, to see if i could find out more about who owned this property or who lived on this property, if anyone did....

Our home was a brand new home so it was possible we thought, that no one had lived here before...

but it didn't take long, our first spring after the snow melt, that clues started showing up that totally confirmed that someone most definitely lived here, at one time...like finding all of the very very old hand made bricks...like there was a house here. Then realizing this 30 X 40 foot area covered with weeds and wildflowers in the middle of ugly growing alder trees that were trying to take over this entire lot, was really a garden, with raised beds, maybe 7 or 8 rows of raised bed maybe 40 feet in length...Then around this area, I started finding old, rusted out tools....some I still can't figure out what they are or were used for.... then in this mound covered with grass, with a little digging, I found the head of a shovel, in the blackest, richest soil that ever existed in the history of mankind...must have been his compost pile right near the garden?? Oh, and I stuck a shovel in the soil of the garden and it slip right down, easily 2 feet and the soild is a rich, rich, dark brown with not a one stone or rock in sight...so someone did some serious tilling and composting of this area at one time....

Also, we have found two rotted boats, one row boat and one canoe...they are still covered with brush mostly and we still haven't gotten to those areas of the property to clean out and we probably won't for another year or two, there is so much else to do in other areas closer to the house....

Oh, and then under and around the sloped area leading down to the overgrown pond, under and around some of the apple trees and the over run brush, I found some more of those hand made of local clay, bricks...in paths leading down to the pond and as steps leading down to lower terrain....

I found the bottom to a young boys shoe, leather sole, hand stitched, square toe with a lea wood leather heel...if i were to guess the era of this type of commonly made footwear would be the 20's or 30's...using my own shoe knowledge....;)

then, the 2nd summer here, we decided to look under our deck...who knows why, i think we removed the lattice work to see if we could store easily, some garden stuff under there...and we see this huge sink whole...what the heck? It seems to have some construction crap in it with dirt...goes down maybe 8 feet....in the dab center, like an upside down funnel...we panicked at first, then with some exploring the situation we find a wall, a round red granite stoned wall...like red curved bricks 15 inches by 3 inches, stacked upon eachother, maybe 20 inches worth, then digging down farther, these curved granite bricks turned to a white color? Then more exploring and we realize, it was a water well, wishing well style, maybe 6-7 feet round, made of all perfectly fitted curved granite...the craftsmanship is incredible, honestly...anyway, spent the whole summer filling it with stones i gathered around the property and we went throught this winter and spring and it hasn't sunk anymore so we are a-ok for now... :eek:

And the very old man, who delivered our oil for the first time, told Matt that he used to know the family that owned this home when he was a kid...and even gave matt the name of this family, of WHICH HE FORGOT and did not write down...so dead end, other than knowing, someone did live here at one time...

then the next oil delivery i was prepared to go outside and quiz the old man and instead, there was some young stud delivering the oil...lol....he told me the old man had retired and he would be our delivery guy from here on out... dead end.

Well, to make this already very long story shorter, we eventually found out from some other locals that there was an abandoned farm house on this property that had burned down in the 80's...don't know much else though i started to do a title search, of public records on line that lists the previous owners of your property...

Well, here comes the part about these pictures of the Comfrey plants i found under the apple trees...this was another hint the first summer here, that someone most certainly lived on this lot before, because this is an english or russian plant, and someone had to have put them there, many moons ago, to fertilize the apple trees they are near...

It is a very, very cool plant, with a very outer space looking flower! :D

Read up on the Comfrey plant and it's medicinal properties, and fertilizer properties of being very rich in potassium.

Comfrey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the Bees were going crazy...loved the flowers!

DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0013.JPG

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0016.JPG

DSCF0079.JPG

DSCF0082.JPG

DSCF0026.JPG

DSCF0077.JPG

DSCF0071.JPG

Please feel free to look at the entire album...there are many more pics of the bees and flowers of the Comfrey and also some pics of the other wild things showing up like the flowers on my apple trees have fallen and you can make out half inch apples now forming, and wild daisies are showing up near the creek bed and so are the buttercups...and the wild beach rose bushes are growing around the big pine trees, not even close to blooming yet...but still nice to see them show up again! :)

here is the link:

Picasa Web Albums - care4all2 - June Flowers ...

there is a scale in the upper right hand corner above the pics that can set the pics larger or you can go in to them one by one if you like...

Care

Forum List

Back