UK has more Redwood trees than California

Giant redwoods - the world's largest trees - are flourishing in the UK and now even outnumber those found in their native range in California.

The giants were first brought to the UK about 160 years ago, and a new study suggests they are growing at a similar rate to their US counterparts.

An estimated 500,000 trees are in the UK compared to 80,000 in California.

However they aren't yet as tall. In California they can reach 90m-high, but in the UK the tallest is 54.87m.

But that's because the introduced trees are still very young. Giant redwoods can live for more than 2,000 years, so there's still plenty of time for the UK's trees to catch up.

'Wood' you believe it. I didn't think we had one Redwood. You live and learn.

What is a "m"? Is that some kind of Communist designation for length?

Glad to hear that they are doing well. I hope the invasive species doesn't do harm to the native Flora and Fauna.

There are plenty of places in the US where the trees could have been planted.

It’s not foggy all the time. You’ve been watching too many Jack the Ripper movies.

Sorry ... I was born and raised in San Francisco ... spent my summer days down on 48th Ave by the hockey rink ... too cold to play outside ... winter we played soccer in the Park ... seven miles west of the Bayshore Freeway ...

Maybe you're thinking of Santa Clara or Fremont ...

500 miles of the Sacramento/San Joaquin Rivers bake under 100ºF sun ... that water is dumped into the Gulf of Alaska current just outside the Golden Gate ... this reliably causes a fog bank to form against the Pacific Coast ... not in the Lower San Francisco Bay, where the airport is ...

Cap't Cook, Cap't Grey, Cap't Vancouver, Cap't Drake, all the Mexican and Spanish Empire ships ... all of them sailed right past the Golden Gate ... it was Portolá's land expedition that discovered San Francisco Bay ... too much fog to see the Bay from out in the ocean ...

Sorry ... I was born and raised in San Francisco ... spent my summer days down on 48th Ave by the hockey rink ... too cold to play outside ... winter we played soccer in the Park ... seven miles west of the Bayshore Freeway ...

Maybe you're thinking of Santa Clara or Fremont ...

500 miles of the Sacramento/San Joaquin Rivers bake under 100ºF sun ... that water is dumped into the Gulf of Alaska current just outside the Golden Gate ... this reliably causes a fog bank to form against the Pacific Coast ... not in the Lower San Francisco Bay, where the airport is ...

Cap't Cook, Cap't Grey, Cap't Vancouver, Cap't Drake, all the Mexican and Spanish Empire ships ... all of them sailed right past the Golden Gate ... it was Portolá's land expedition that discovered San Francisco Bay ... too much fog to see the Bay from out in the ocean ...

I meant in England.

Which is why the English need to water their Redwood trees if they want them to thrive ... full circle ...

This post just an ignorant strawman that deserves to be ignored? ... this isn't moving the goalposts, this is claiming a hat-trick of own-goals ...

There’s enough rain.

There’s enough rain.

Redwoods don't need rain ... they don't draw water up from the ground ... they've evolved to absorb moisture through their leaves ...

Be careful ... I've lived among Redwoods my whole life ... studied them ... watched them get logged ... build patio decks from the lumber ... my niece's husband's thesis was on the Redwood response to Tanoak herbicides ... Jefferson is Redwood Country ...

Gasquet, California is in the far northern range of Redwood habitat ... 3 meters of rain on average per year ... further north, rainfall rates are higher so that Spruces and D-firs out-compete the Redwoods ... at the southern edge down in Big Sur only gets a meter of rain ... roughly the same as England ...

What is a "m"? Is that some kind of Communist designation for length?

Glad to hear that they are doing well. I hope the invasive species doesn't do harm to the native Flora and Fauna.

There are plenty of places in the US where the trees could have been planted.
1 metre is 3" 3', so 60 yards.

1 metre is 3" 3', so 60 yards.
I know what a Meter is. I was just funning you.

1710776019389.jpeg

Forum List

Back