Comedian Zelenskiy wins Ukrainian presidential race by landslide

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Are people turning away from “professional” politicians? The Ukraine isn’t the only country to see this trend.

Did President Trump set the tone?

Will we see more of it in 2020?

KIEV (Reuters) – Ukraine entered uncharted political waters on Sunday after an exit poll showed a comedian with no political experience and few detailed policies had easily won enough votes to become the next president of a country at war.

The apparent landslide victory of Volodymyr Zelenskiy, 41, is a bitter blow for incumbent Petro Poroshenko who tried to rally Ukrainians around the flag by casting himself as a bulwark against Russian aggression and a champion of Ukrainian identity.

The national exit poll showed Zelenskiy had won 73 percent of the vote with Poroshenko winning just 25 percent.

73 percent!

More @ Ukraine enters uncharted waters after comedian wins presidency | One America News Network

Comedian Inaugurated as Ukraine's New President Immediately Disbands Parliament

1238439-11-20190520061657.jpeg

He won by 78% of the vote.

Instead of the traditional motorcade to his inauguration, he walked to parliament through a park packed with people giving high fives and taking selfies.

I’m ready to do everything so that our heroes don’t die there,” he said. “I’m ready to lose my popularly and, if necessary, I’m ready to lose my post so that we have peace.”

And he ended it with:

Throughout all of my life, I tried to do everything to make Ukrainians laugh,” he said with a smile. “In the next five years I will do everything so that Ukrainians don’t cry.”

More w/video @ Ukraine's New President Immediately Disbands Parliament

Ukraine's Zelensky picks TV colleagues for presidential staff

_107061495_hi054094302.jpg

This guy’s really ticking off a lot of professional pols. He called for ending the conflict with Russia over the taking over of the Crimea and even appointed a new commander-in-chief of the armed forces.

In one of his first interviews after the appointment, Mr Bohdan said the administration was considering putting any potential peace deal with Russia to a public referendum as well as a vote in parliament.

Ukraine has been in conflict with Russian-backed separatists for the past five years, since Russia annexed Crimea from Ukraine and the rebels seized control of parts of the east.

When he was sworn in on Monday, President Zelensky, 41, said his first task was securing a ceasefire in the east. "We didn't start this war but it is up to us to end it," he said.

More @ TV scriptwriters join Ukraine president's team

Forum List

Back