Colo(u)rful posters

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
I used the term "colo(u)rful posters" but what I mean are the complete nutbars we have here from time to time. You know the ones. I won't name them because I might end up looking into the mirror but some of the more continuously extreme folks come to mind.

But you know if they weren't here we'd miss them.

As much as I enjoy learning a lot of things from USMB - and I do, not just content of posts but also about how to be critical yet not contemptuous (okay, still working on that one) and also to understand the point someone is trying to make so that a thread benefits (hopefully) from my contribution, - I do enjoy the nutters too.

When they go away the forums seem to lose a bit of sparkle. Yes, I get cheesed off with them and no doubt the feeling is mutual but it's funny how you sort of miss their inspired craziness at times. I don't mean the vicious bastards who should simply be booted out of cyberspace in its entirety, but the quirky ones who somehow manage to retain at least a slender grip on reality while livening up the odd (pun intended) thread or two.

Good point - and it's usually a reflexive judgement and I've done it a number of times myself. I've read the first few posts of a new poster and written them off as a nutter and then after deigning to read their further posts have changed my opinion. However some continue to provide evidence to me of their nuttery. But point well made.

ahh but what is nutter to one...if fine with another....who here claims the title of "normal" if you look at the posters? everyone has some type of issue....or they wouldnt be here..would they? we could be out doing normal shit but elect to be here...why....normal is hard fucking work and takes a lot of energy

Years ago, before graphical interfaces, I collected/wrote quote programs as a startup feature. There is so much truth in quotes, possibly all truth. So here's a bit of those words related to topic.

"Nothing human is alien to me." Terence

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." Sigmund Freud

"The beginning of thought is in disagreement - not only with others but also with ourselves." Eric Hoffer

"Human nature is various and not infrequently weird." AC Grayling

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me." Andre Malraux

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this." Bertrand Russell

"Yes, in my life, since we must call it so, there were three things, the inability to speak, the inability to remain silent, and solitude, that's what I've had to make the best of." Samuel Beckett

i do and it is good to consider many normal rather than trying to limit your scope...i will admit at many times...i find myself sitting with my friends...going "what the hell am i doing here?" lol...then i wonder if they are thinking the same

About half of the time, they are fun, in that they are amusing and every once and a while they stumble into posting something witty. I also find some fascinating as I cannot figure out if they are insane, stupid, willfully stupid and dishonest as a result, etc.

But, I have discovered through PMs received that there are a few who are clearly quite disturbed and I am thankful that I have some relative privacy here as a result.

I work with some pretty disturbed teenagers (and a few crazy teachers as well). Everyone else in the "real world" seems pretty normal to me.

But the beauty of anonymous posting is that people can either say what the REALLY think, or just say some outrageous things just to stir the pot. That's prob. why I'm addicted. Polite conversation can be soooooo boring. I don't care if you agree with me or not. Just don't put me to sleep. That's what they make tupperware parties for.

About half of the time, they are fun, in that they are amusing and every once and a while they stumble into posting something witty. I also find some fascinating as I cannot figure out if they are insane, stupid, willfully stupid and dishonest as a result, etc.

But, I have discovered through PMs received that there are a few who are clearly quite disturbed and I am thankful that I have some relative privacy here as a result.

Great, use, of, the comma, bitch.

:thup:

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this." Bertrand Russell
LOL

I like that one.

ETA:

So much so I just made it My signature.

Last edited:

And you are one of the disturbed ones.

And you are one of the disturbed ones.
You really have no idea just how disturbed. If this is the shogun I think it is.

Forum List

Back