College says 9/11 memorial posters offensive to Muslim students

Discussion in 'Education' started by MindWars, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,635
    I would say you are assuming that the fact they are conservative makes a difference in how they are treated based on some sort of percieved victimhood.

The poster of of the police killings? Was that posted on a college campus?

I'm not surprised. You seem more sensitized to insults towards conservatives than towards liberals.

We all make assumptions about motives . You say you you take their poster at face value (no questioning of motives) but you don't seem to take the poster of police killings of blacks at face value. Why the discrepency?

You say it's a silly inference. Perhaps you would better understand it if you view as you view it as you would have me view hostile attitudes towards conservatives - that is, view it in the current hostile to Muslims environment which does not make distinctions between terrorists and Muslims.

If Brown jumped the gun why has there been no retraction, no correction of his claims? It's been some time now...plenty of time to correct the record.

Are you being deliberately deceptive? Surely you realize that CNN's site represents only a fraction (as it states "most notable" terror attacks). There have certainly more than 3 in 40 years. Your second link goes back to this thread so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

For example: Which Ideology Has Inspired The Most Murders In Terrorist Attacks On U.S. Soil?

Given that...do you think American Muslims on a campus might be justified to feel concerned about how people might react over such a poster? Perhaps that they might have the same feelings of persecution that the conservative group putting forth the poster would have?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  2. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,635
    I have no problem with having a conversation. The poster is not banned - although the YAF has yet to correct it's claims. Part of the conversation is MY view, and my right to express it. You do realize that don't you? I don't know about YOUR tribe - but if it's part of the tribes refusing to admit a reasonable number of refugees wanting to come here, that have beenvery well vetted, or worse - those who have aided us in our misboggoten wars (which I never supported) - and are unable to get the promised visas and protections they were promised...then I'm not too impressed with any tribes.

I'm not the only one that discourages having conversations. Here's some of another tribe's responses to Islamic Extremists...this is THEIR conversation and THEIR way of memorializing 911 I guess.

Assaults against Muslims in U.S. surpass 2001 level

3. Ghost of a Rider

Ghost of a Rider Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +595
    It's not "perceived victimhood", it is a fact and is going on now. Conservatives and Republicans are being painted with a broad brush as racists because a few white supremacists support Trump and his immigration policies. I've seen it right here on this forum.

Why does that matter?

I'm not surprised. You seem more sensitized to insults towards conservatives than towards liberals.[/quote]

When I say I don't know anything about it, that means I don't know anything about it. My sensitivities have nothing to do with what I know or don't know.

I never said anything about the artist's motives and I don't know what they were. I merely used it as an example to make a point. All I said was that it could be construed as placing police officers in a bad light.
    If we can opine that the college poster could stir up animosity against Muslims because of the premise of only depicting scenes of Muslim terror attacks then we can very well opine that this poster could stir up animosity against police because of the premise of only depicting victims of police shootings and then adding the phrase "Killed by Police".

The poster says nothing about Muslims so there's no obligation to make the distinction.

I don't know, you'll have to ask him.

From the article:

"Terrorists murdered 3,342 people on U.S. soil from 1992 through August 12, 2017. Islamist terrorists are responsible for 92% of all those murders."

"Islamist terrorists are the deadliest in U.S. history—and certainly since 1992."

"Islamists have killed about 14 times as many people as Nationalist and Right Wing terrorists who, in turn, have killed about 10 times as many people as Left Wing terrorists."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  4. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,675
    It's a matter of separating "the Bias Review Board" from the Adminstration decisions. Certainly there WAS a threat to ban the poster as result of the Bias Review Board findings. The YAF piece was written prior to a decision by the University to support free speech. Which IS the correct decision. But in their statement, the College hierarchy themselves made several false and uninformed assertions. Such as -- ISIS has nothing to do with 9-11, which is historically and patently false.

What's STILL missing -- is whether the posters WERE ALLOWED to go up. I could not find a single statement to that effect.

So Alex Jones and social media blew this WAAAY out of proportion. Normal for most everything nowadays.

You're conflating a social media flare-up with the general sucky nature of US immigration policy. My tribe's position is that we could ALL BE more liberal on immigration if our govt actually functioned with any resemblence to competence and accountability. But it does not.

It's possible to vet those that HELPED us in Iraq and Afghanistan if the govt was reliable in it's process. But you're talking about a government that renewed Mohammed Attah's VISA just prior to 9-11 and then ISSUED IT post mortum. But it's NOT possible to thoroughly vet REFUGEES from conflict areas. Because the LAW considers them REFUGEES and not IMMIGRANTS. They are not making the decision to become Americans. They are making a move to stay alive. And with no reliable functioning government or diplomacy in their host countries, no amount of "assurance" about vetting can be trusted.

The fix is to treat refugees as refugees. Different from claims of political asylum or requests for legal immigration. And shelter them until the time that the conflict is resolved. Most have no PREFERENCE to be British or Greek or American. They just want to survive.

5. Dogmaphobe

Dogmaphobe Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,385
    Your tribe?

Have you ever considered putting any of the principles of your tribe into place, here?

It would be a refreshing, albeit radical change from current status quo. .

6. Nia88

Nia88 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,409
    That's not a 9/11 poster. That's a anti-muslim poster. All the pictures in the poster are from events which were committed by Islamic terrorist. It's trying to paint a picture that all Muslims are terrorist. You conservatives think your slick with your propaganda. Lol

Why don't they make a poster from events where white terrorist attacked?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dale Smith

Dale Smith Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,942

Have you an example of that???

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,675
    I'm doing that. I'm writing articles for submission, helping the Libertarians, solving the world problems one paragraph right after the other. Could do an article about the insanity of repeating the same mistakes in Middle East over and over and over again while "my tribe" got the message about trying to "fix" Middle East right about 25 years ago..

On USMB -- my stuff would get just a lot of tl:dr ratings from the regulars.

9. Dogmaphobe

Dogmaphobe Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,385
    No. I was talking about putting libertarian principles into play in the way you operate this website.

Instead of a system where complete authority is invested in unelected oligarchs who bear absolutely no responsibility for the way they wield their power and are free to use it to punish those they do not like, a more libertarian approach would limit the excesses of governance, allow for more input from the community and help create a structure based upon rule of law rather than rule of whim.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. MindWars

MindWars Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,626
    We'll see how hte lunatic left hndles another inside job terror attack the stupid fkrs won't know what hit them. We all know how crazy the lefti is they won't stop at anything to get rid of Trump , bring down the Country and they have no bones about it because none of them give a dam about any one of you losers . They meaning the Globalist..................

Maybe Q anon can give a sure fire anser to this lmfao Qanon bahahaaah they were once for the Country now they have their pathetic sheep following them as their little soldiers LMMFAO sounds kinda liek ANTIFA doesn't it. After all they refer to themselves as Qanon soldiers omfgg the irony of stupidy.