When we talk about Education, then, including, we mean learning to Work.

OsteInmar

Aug 22, 2018

I will show the theses as taught Soviet children and I want to find out how it is done in America.
What is Work?
Every person who grew up in the USSR, except knowledge of Science, Culture, Sports, should have known the basic positions for the household:
boys - carpenters1, carpenters2, locksmiths, electronics ...
girls - medicine, housekeeping ...

This knowledge was given by the secondary school.
Training from 7 years to 17 years old. 10 classes.

Here are the positions of teaching Trud in the USSR.

1st class, 7 years of age.
Boys and girls glue appliqués from colored paper, collect herbariums, mold figures from plasticine ... later .. they learn to embroider with colored threads handkerchiefs. Later .. they learn the difference between cotton, wool and synthetic threads, they learn to darn socks, sew buttons ..

2 class, 8 years of age.
Boys and girls learn to work with constructors/disainers... That is a set of metal parts with slats, bolts, washers and nuts.
The USSR was selling an analogue of the modern plastic LEGO, but it was not considered a constructor/designer, but a toy, since it garbage too primitive. Hahaha..
Children are given a simple knowledge about metals, wood, plastic.

3 class, 9 years of age.
The boys are taught the basics of carpentry1.
They should be able to work with simple tools.
Girls are taught the basics of culinary arts.

4th class. 10 years of age.
Boys study in school workshops and study carpentry1 and carpentry2. They make real wooden constructions, which the school then uses.
Girls study in school workshops and study the art of sewing, cooks. They actually prepare food

5th class 11 years of age.
Boys learn locksmith's art, work with metal
Girls study medicine

6th class 12 years of age.
Boys are studying turning art, they start working on machine tools.
Girls start working on sewing machines.

7th class 13 years of age
8th class 14 years of age.
I do not remember the differences .. in those years schoolchildren improved their knowledge.

9th class 15 years of age.
Boys and girls study Labor 1 day a week
Outside the school at a production plant. Directions: locksmith, turner, electrician, electronics, informatics, cars, nurse, housekeeping ... And, if you are a young man, you can study female specialties. Or vice versa.

10th grade 16-17 years old Boys and Girls are practicing realistically at the Factory or the Enterprise ...

Now, I'm interested. How is Labor taught in American schools?

• Banned
Please use simple English words and concepts, I do not understand.
I ask a simple question:
In the USSR, training in Labor is a compulsory subject in school. I'm interested. Is teaching labor a compulsory subject in America?
A compulsory subject is a subject that is evaluated and gives privileges when entering an institute or university.

I ask a simple question:
In the USSR, training in Labor is a compulsory subject in school. I'm interested. Is teaching labor a compulsory subject in America?
A compulsory subject is a subject that is evaluated and gives privileges when entering an institute or university.

In America only the women go into labor. I’m surprised you didn’t know that.

I will show the theses as taught Soviet children and I want to find out how it is done in America.
What is Work?
Every person who grew up in the USSR, except knowledge of Science, Culture, Sports, should have known the basic positions for the household:
boys - carpenters1, carpenters2, locksmiths, electronics ...
girls - medicine, housekeeping ...

This knowledge was given by the secondary school.
Training from 7 years to 17 years old. 10 classes.

Here are the positions of teaching Trud in the USSR.

1st class, 7 years of age.
Boys and girls glue appliqués from colored paper, collect herbariums, mold figures from plasticine ... later .. they learn to embroider with colored threads handkerchiefs. Later .. they learn the difference between cotton, wool and synthetic threads, they learn to darn socks, sew buttons ..

2 class, 8 years of age.
Boys and girls learn to work with constructors/disainers... That is a set of metal parts with slats, bolts, washers and nuts.
The USSR was selling an analogue of the modern plastic LEGO, but it was not considered a constructor/designer, but a toy, since it garbage too primitive. Hahaha..
Children are given a simple knowledge about metals, wood, plastic.

3 class, 9 years of age.
The boys are taught the basics of carpentry1.
They should be able to work with simple tools.
Girls are taught the basics of culinary arts.

4th class. 10 years of age.
Boys study in school workshops and study carpentry1 and carpentry2. They make real wooden constructions, which the school then uses.
Girls study in school workshops and study the art of sewing, cooks. They actually prepare food

5th class 11 years of age.
Boys learn locksmith's art, work with metal
Girls study medicine

6th class 12 years of age.
Boys are studying turning art, they start working on machine tools.
Girls start working on sewing machines.

7th class 13 years of age
8th class 14 years of age.
I do not remember the differences .. in those years schoolchildren improved their knowledge.

9th class 15 years of age.
Boys and girls study Labor 1 day a week
Outside the school at a production plant. Directions: locksmith, turner, electrician, electronics, informatics, cars, nurse, housekeeping ... And, if you are a young man, you can study female specialties. Or vice versa.

10th grade 16-17 years old Boys and Girls are practicing realistically at the Factory or the Enterprise ...

Now, I'm interested. How is Labor taught in American schools?
Wish schools would be more trade focused in USA. I got a Bachelor's and Masters now I drive a truck. Wish I skipped college and went to trade school.

• Banned
Wish schools would be more trade focused in USA. I got a Bachelor's and Masters now I drive a truck. Wish I skipped college and went to trade school.

Thank you.
As I understand it, in America, teaching subjects is at will, which is very different.
In the USSR, school education was the same for all. Same textbooks, the same subjects and even the same uniform.
The school is 10 years of study. Including - the training of physical workr. "a man must be able to work not only with his head, but also with his hands."
This is not professional training. You can not get a job as a carpenter, fitter, turner or electrician, having only a school education. But, in the USSR it was believed that every man should have basic knowledge of working with wood, metal, electricity, etc., every woman can sew, cook, etc.

Vocational education is:
1. If you have finished 8 classes of school, you can enter the "Professional School" PTU, after which you will be working: a builder, a mechanic, a turner Or, enter the "Technical College", then you will be an electrician, a nurse, an auto mechanic ...
2. If you graduated from the 10th grade of the school, or graduated from the PTU, the Technical College, you can enter the Institute or the University.

You will receive a Higher Education.
- Graduate Instite - an engineer, doctor, economist, lawyer. As I understand it, it corresponds to a bachelor's degree.
- A graduate of the University is a scientific worker in all branches of science. Master?
3. If you graduated from an institute or university, you can study in graduate school and defend a thesis, then get a scientific title.

It should be noted that all education in the USSR and, in part, in modern Russia, is free. In addition, if you are a student and study well, you receive a scholarship - about 1/3 of the average salary in the country.
In the early 90's, when the USSR collapsed, many people with higher education lost their jobs. Especially technical experts - physics, mathematics.

Last edited:
I ask a simple question:

That's why your aircraft were still being built with rivets 30 years after the rest of the world moved on.

We used to have vocational education to teach kids how to turn a wrench, perform basic medical services, fix air conditioners, etc... Somewhere someone decided that we should move people into college instead of the workforce after high school. I think that was a very big mistake made by our educators.

We used to have vocational education to teach kids how to turn a wrench, perform basic medical services, fix air conditioners, etc... Somewhere someone decided that we should move people into college instead of the workforce after high school. I think that was a very big mistake made by our educators.

There are still voc schools, with more being built all the time. Waiting lists to get into good voc schools are long.

There are still voc schools, with more being built all the time. Waiting lists to get into good voc schools are long.

Are you talking about public high schools? If so that's great. They got rid of the entire VOC/ED department in my old HS.

Are you talking about public high schools? If so that's great. They got rid of the entire VOC/ED department in my old HS.

That sounds like you live in a Liberalville!

Not sure about the politics of it. It was in suburban Houston.

Sorry, sir ..
- Can you fix the Water tap?
- Can you replace the gas holder with the gas stove?
- Can you sharpen an ax, chain saw or just an ordinary knife?
- Can you calculate the cross-section of an electrical wire that will not lead to a fire if your house is heated by electricity?

Finally...
Can you distinguish between "dry" wood and "wet" wood?

America was created by emigrants from Europe, so, historically, you should know this.

I will continue a little ...
There is such an old American tradition:
Old grandmothers collect shreds and sew from them "American blanket."
Question:
- Can you sew such a blanket?

Last edited:

Sorry, sir ..
- Can you calculate the cross-section of an electrical wire that will not lead to a fire if your house is heated by electricity?

Finally...

America was created by emigrants from Europe, so, historically, you should know this.

Question:

Not sure what you're driving at.

Sorry, sir ..

Finally...

Question:

Wow ..
Any Russian, or rather, Soviet, can do it.
It's strange for me to hear that the Americans do not know how.
Besides...
When I talk about the "American blanket," then I can give you links to the American survival forum ..
There is an "American grandmother" who will tell you how to do it. But she is very nervous, since this American Lady is more than 80 years of age.

Sorry, sir ..

Finally...

Question:

Yes to all of them and I never learned a damn one of them in school. Neither did most people of my age and I am a retired teacher. You are confused about the purpose of education. No one does those things anymore because they are not required.

Sorry, sir ..

Finally...

Question:

First of all, welcome to the forum. I appreciate that you share your views with us.

In answer to your question, vocational classes are available in some school districts, but usually on a limited basis. The main thrust of our education system is clearly readying students for advanced academic achievements. We have let the liberal agenda drive how we teach our youth.

A major rebellion against this is home schooling. Taking one's children out of the classroom and into a home environment where individual training is accomplished. Sadly, I don't think this serves vocational careers.

More and more states are increasing vocational training in their community colleges - first two years leading to an Associate Degree. There are also many private institutes that teach technical and other specialties.

One other change is the growth of charter schools - instituted outside the standard public school system.

If you want some interesting information, I suggest you check out education in Wikipedia - which is available in a lot of different languages.

Again, welcome and thanks for your questions.

Sorry, sir ..

Finally...

Question:

Wow ..
Besides...
When I talk about the "American blanket," then I can give you links to the American survival forum ..
There is an "American grandmother" who will tell you how to do it. But she is very nervous, since this American Lady is more than 80 years of age.

I think you are referring to what we call a quilt.
1505430129276-20170912_meetmeinthemiddle_madisonpark_34409_wall_504656.jpg

There was, at one time, a common social event where women from a small community would get together for a "quilting bee." They would all work together to create these items of bedding for other members of the group. Some were made to sell in local markets for fairs.

Sorry, sir ..

Finally...

Question:

Wow ..
Besides...

Ok.

Sorry, sir ..

Finally...

Question:

Yes to all of them and I never learned a damn one of them in school. Neither did most people of my age and I am a retired teacher. You are confused about the purpose of education. No one does those things anymore because they are not required.

They are no longer "required" because so-called educators today are no longer able to teach them.

When I attended high school in California in the 50s, we had vocational education. I majored in vocational agriculture and learned; carpentry, electricity, plumbing, welding, metallurgy, mechanics, and animal husbandry, just to name a few. I also took a class in science, chemistry, and anatomy.

Was it advantageous in my career? Yes and no. I started out in the army as a mechanic on heavy construction equipment. But, as usual, "the needs of the army," came to the fore when it was learned I could type and, over 23 years, my many attempts to get out from behind a desk were thwarted by personnel officers.

I did find it quite handy in private life as I seldom had to hire someone else to hand a wide range of tasks around the home and with my many different vehicles.

I would love to see a major push to return vocational training to the school system.

Forum List

Back