College Professor Offers Students Extra Credit for Attending Occupy Protest

No, they should not be fired. It's called academic freedom. There is also no coercion to do extra credit work.

There is psychological coercion. This teacher is making it very clear what good little boys and girls should do for a good grade in her class.

Later on when someone is not doing so well and is asking what they might do to pull up their grade, this teacher will likely pull out her grade book and say, you could have come to this rally with me ... or done a backbreaking 20 page paper while the rest of us were out getting drunk and bonding with each other ... but you chose not to.

The assignment is too biased. The teacher is too biased in giving the assignment.

Learning that you have to watch what you say, and must learn to deal with biases from your supervisors, is an important lesson in growing up. So in a way this prof is just doing her part in educating the youth to the harsh realities of adulthood.

But it's still inappropriately biased.

No, they should not be fired. It's called academic freedom. There is also no coercion to do extra credit work.

not to mention that there was an alternative for people who might not want to support the group in question.

They should be fired. This is a form of coercion that I find unacceptable in a learning institution!

There is psychological coercion. This teacher is making it very clear what good little boys and girls should do for a good grade in her class.

Later on when someone is not doing so well and is asking what they might do to pull up their grade, this teacher will likely pull out her grade book and say, you could have come to this rally with me ... or done a backbreaking 20 page paper while the rest of us were out getting drunk and bonding with each other ... but you chose not to.

The assignment is too biased. The teacher is too biased in giving the assignment.

Learning that you have to watch what you say, and must learn to deal with biases from your supervisors, is an important lesson in growing up. So in a way this prof is just doing her part in educating the youth to the harsh realities of adulthood.

anything else you want to make up?

just wondering...

not to mention that there was an alternative for people who might not want to support the group in question.
They have to "support" the occupy protest, I thought they just had to attend

just wondering...

As a conservative professor in a Wisconsin university who felt the 99% liberal professors choking off the air around me, I know what I'm talking about.

Anything else you want to snark at ignorantly?

just wondering...

As a conservative professor in a Wisconsin university who felt the 99% liberal professors choking off the air around me, I know what I'm talking about.

I was also a conservative professor in a Maryland university.

I have no issue with this at all. She offered an alternative. Yes the alternative was significantly harder, but look at the requirements for attending the protest - they go for an hour or so and make a sign. The only requirement for the sign is that it is not obscene. "Go Redwings" or "I *heart* David Hasselhoff" are acceptable signs. In fact, I would choose the latter sign - make the protestors look like bigger idiots than they are.

Protests certainly pertain to her topic, as well.

The issue I have with this is the fact that she is offering extra credit. Extra credit is for students who are children. I don't have any other data on her. Could she be one of those faculty who DOES discriminate based on political ideology? You and I both know they exist. But, based on this, I do not feel comfortable saying that she is coercing them into ANY ideology with a grade threat.

I honestly believe you see that, too.

Possibly she is one of those scumbag educators who sell out education for politics, but there is not enough here to conclude that. Her students may know which way her politics go, but that doesn't mean they are coerced.

just wondering...

Damn! You and I REALLLLLLLY need to talk some time.

Choking is a perfect word! I got out for a reason, as did you, apparently.

just wondering...

I was also a conservative professor in a Maryland university.

I have no issue with this at all. She offered an alternative. Yes the alternative was significantly harder, but look at the requirements for attending the protest - they go for an hour or so and make a sign. The only requirement for the sign is that it is not obscene. "Go Redwings" or "I *heart* David Hasselhoff" are acceptable signs. In fact, I would choose the latter sign - make the protestors look like bigger idiots than they are.

Protests certainly pertain to her topic, as well.

The issue I have with this is the fact that she is offering extra credit. Extra credit is for students who are children. I don't have any other data on her. Could she be one of those faculty who DOES discriminate based on political ideology? You and I both know they exist. But, based on this, I do not feel comfortable saying that she is coercing them into ANY ideology with a grade threat.

I honestly believe you see that, too.

Possibly she is one of those scumbag educators who sell out education for politics, but there is not enough here to conclude that. Her students may know which way her politics go, but that doesn't mean they are coerced.

Dammit, Si, stop being so reasonable!!! :tongue:

the irony here is what these morons are protesting isn't the banks fault, it's the fault of these educational institutions that are charging constantly increasing amounts of tuition for a completely worthless education.

I don't have a big issue with this. It's for a Sociology class and these protests are an excellent real life example of Sociology in action.

the irony here is what these morons are protesting isn't the banks fault, it's the fault of these educational institutions that are charging constantly increasing amounts of tuition for a completely worthless education.

Interesting observation.

That seems totally reasonable and fair to me. For those who cannot go to an OWS event because of ideals or other reasons, she offers them an option for extra credit, too.

Of course, I think giving extra credit much past high school is babying young adults way too much, but that is another issue.

I used to give my nursing students 1 point of extra credit to find out how Florence Nightingale died. Most did it. Some did not. One failed the class, then asked for the credit, but there was a time limit and I wouldn't give it to her as the deadline was missed.. I'm sure she managed to get through school and is equally sloppy in practice. And that's too bad.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back