Clinton now holds 21 point lead on Christie (Marist Poll)

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
225px-Hillary_Clinton_official_Secretary_of_State_portrait_crop.jpg

This OP was updated with more information on 12 February 2014

McClatchy/Marist poll, released 02/11/2014:

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-con... McClatchy_Marist Poll Release and Tables.pdf

( ) = values from the McClatchy/Marist poll prior to this one for that particular match-up:

Clinton 52 (56)
Ryan 44 (40)
Margin: Clinton +8 (+16)

Clinton 53
Romney 44
Margin: Clinton +9

Clinton 55
Huckabee 41
Margin: Clinton +14

Clinton 56 (57)
Cruz 39 (35)
Margin: Clinton +17 (+22)

Clinton 58 (55)
Paul 38 (40)
Margin: Clinton +20 (+15)

Clinton 58 (53)
Bush, Jeb 38 (41)
Margin: Clinton +20 (+12)

Clinton 58 (50)
Christie 37 (37)
Margin: Clinton +21 (+13)

Clinton 58 (52)
Rubio 37 (42)
Margin: Clinton +21 (+10)

Clinton 62 (59)
Palin 37 (36)
Margin: Clinton +25 (+23)

So, the margins, in ascending order:

Hillary vs. Ryan: +8
Hillary vs. Romney: +9
Hillary vs. Huckabee: +14
Hillary vs. Cruz: +17
Hillary vs. Paul: +20
Hillary vs. Bush, Jeb: +20
Hillary vs. Christie: +21
Hillary vs. Rubio: +21
Hillary vs. Palin: +25

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you analyse the CHANGE in the margin from this Marist/McClatchy poll over the last time each pair was matched up, then the change looks like this:

Hillary vs. Ryan: from +16 to +8 = Ryan +8
Hillary vs. Romney: no comparison possible
Hillary vs. Huckabee: no comparison possible
Hillary vs. Cruz: +22 to +17 = Cruz +5
Hillary vs. Paul: +15 to +20 = Hillary +5
Hillary vs. Bush, Jeb: +12 to +20 = Hillary +8
Hillary vs. Christie: +13 to +21 = Hillary +8
Hillary vs. Rubio: +10 to +21 = Hillary +11
Hillary vs. Palin: +23 to +25 = Hillary +2

So, Paul Ryan and Ted Cruz have actually improved their standing since their last match-up against Hillary. Still, I don't remember the last time that a Democrat polled so strongly against all takers, from between +8 to +25.

Now, some of this is unrealistic: it is highly unlikely that the GOP will select Palin to be it's Presidential candidate. The only time in history that a failed Vice Presidential nominee went on to win the presidency on his own was: FDR, who was the Democratic Vice-Presidential nominee in 1920, and came back to win the presidency in 1932.

It is also somewhat unrealistic that Mitt Romney will become the GOP's standard bearer in 2016. The last time that a party nominated the same candidate twice in a row in spite of the fact that he lost the first time (back to back) was: Adlai Stevenson III (D), 1956. True, Richard Nixon (R) won the nomination in 1968, 8 years after his unsuccessful presidential bid in 1960, but that was not back to back. Also, John Dewey (R) was the GOP nominee twice in a row, in 1944 and 1948. It's possible that Mitt could be in the running, but it is very unlikely these days.

So, of the nine prospective GOP candidates, only seven are likely to have a realistic chance at the GOP nomination in 2016 - at least based on this list of match-ups.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

How well did Marist do in 2012?

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: The moment of truth: how did the pollsters do?

Marist nailed it in 7 of 8 battlegrounds (automatic misscall in CO, since Marist called a tie there:

NBC/WSJ/Marist absolutely nailed the margin in Iowa, a state that was filled with heavy right-leaning bias in many polls. Interesting point: though very off in Ohio (3 points to the LEFT), 5 of these eight end polls have a bias to the RIGHT and notice the composite bias: R +2.00. Why, that is more to the RIGHT than WAA and only slightly to the left of Pulse! NBC missed the call in Colorado (a tie is automatically a mis-call). The next time people want to claim that NBC is a pure liberal outfit, remind them of these numbers!

Marist's mathematical bias in 2012, the average of the 8 end polls: R +2.00.

Last edited:
The GOP should definitely go Cruz/Palin in 2016. Winning ticket right there

• Banned
A friendly shout out to some good people who I believe like to watch election information, now that I have updated the OP with new information:
[MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION] [MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION] [MENTION=45320]Nyvin[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=35910]william[/MENTION]TheWie [MENTION=37709]MHunterB[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION]

This is a "mini mention list". If anyone wants to go onto it for an election thread that might be worth a look, let me know. If you want off the list, let me know.

A friendly shout out to some good people who I believe like to watch election information, now that I have updated the OP with new information:
[MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION] [MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION] [MENTION=45320]Nyvin[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=35910]william[/MENTION]TheWie [MENTION=37709]MHunterB[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION]

This is a "mini mention list". If anyone wants to go onto it for an election thread that might be worth a look, let me know. If you want off the list, let me know.

How do you think Christie will do against Hildebeast in the democrat primary?

The Democrat/Liberal choice for running against Hillary isn't quite so popular.. call me astonished...:ack-1:

Too many Democrats are pathetically obvious phonies, first they say Republicans should be more like Democrats to win elections, then they go about crucifying the Republicans that are most like Democrats..

Chris Christie is a registered Republican, but you knew that already.

Do you have a real question to pose, or do you just prefer to bitch a lot?

RINO Christie has no hope of winning the Republican nomination.

His only hope is to change parties.

I don't want him in my party.

According to Barnum theory Benghazi was good for Shrillary.

"There's no such thing as bad publicity"

It wasn't Barnum, though, who continued the thought.....

"Nobody ever lost money by overestimating the stupidity of The American People".

Chris Christie is a registered Republican, but you knew that already.

Do you have a real question to pose, or do you just prefer to bitch a lot?

RINO Christie has no hope of winning the Republican nomination.

His only hope is to change parties.

I don't want him in my party.

Well, kick him out!!! :lol:

But I guarantee you, we Lefties really don't want him all that much...

I'm not sure if it means that much. Clearly, Hillary has more name recogniztion than any of these guys.

Beyond that, who knows.

It's just one poll, but Marist has a good reputation and this is now the 8th poll in just about as many days (either a state or national poll) to show a massive shift AGAINST Christie, usually to the benefit of Bush, but in this case, more to the benefit of Ryan.

But when the closest that you can come to Hillary is -8, that is kinda sad.

And I would say that every single one of those nine Republicans has a GREAT DEAL of name recognition.

"Nobody ever lost money by overestimating the stupidity of The American People".

That was beautifully fact-free, almost poetic in it's complete lack of substance....

That was beautifully fact-free, almost poetic in it's complete lack of substance....

Yet so stunningly accurate.

Less at the time those things were said than they are today.

Still, truth.

Forum List

Back