ClimateGate Totally Ignored By TV News Outlets Except Fox

It won't die:

Climategate: This story won't die | Midwest Voices

Climategate: This story won't die
By E. Thomas McClanahan, Kansas City Star Editorial Page columnist

CBS News Correspondent Declan McCullough provides an excellent summary of where things stand and the significance of the revelations. George Monbiot, a U.K. climate-change activist, admits that it's "no use pretending that this isn't a major blow. The emails extracted by a hacker from the climatic research unit at the University of East Anglia could scarcely be more damaging."
Congress may investigate. East Anglia acknowledges that it's systems were hacked, but hasn't yet confirmed the e-mails' authenticity. The scandal already has its own Wikipedia page. For journalists, the question of whether to delve into this would seem obvious. You already have a very big breaking story. Maybe it will ultimately support the claims of those skeptical of anthropogenic global warming, maybe it won't.
But right now, we have enough info to conclude there's probable cause to believe people at the Climate Research Unit fiddled with the data and discussed destroying e-mails to thwart a freedom-of-information requests. One e-mail talked about how to "hide the decline," the phrase that's become a rallying cry for AGW skeptics. Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit.com is all over this one: Just keep scrolling.

Submitted by mcclanahan on November 25, 2009 - 11:50am.

The MSM is going to be forced to decide whether to get ahead of this or not. The major newspapers have a problem in lack of investigative journalists. If they don't get moving, the New Media has the resources to deal with the 'code' which seems to be where proof will be found.

The MSM has been caught with it's pants down too many times. If they don't cover it properly, they will confirm to everyone that they have no scruples.
But what is there to 'cover'? Like Dude said, NO one has read all the documents and put them into context, or even tried to understand and follow the conversations going on. Certainly no one with enough science background to understand what was being said has done so.

I don't have to be a scientist to question why global warming studies have to be coded. On teh onehand they want us to buy global warming, yet the information regarding it's existence must be coded? Gee, somebody saw the temps spiking on my uncoded email. Oh no, my research is confirmed and another person knows. Please.

Global warming is nothing but a hypothesis at this point. Any hypothesis should be actively challenged and debated within the scientific community. Hiding information looks liek you ahve someting to hide, makes research more costly (unshared data) and delays a confirmation of the hypothesis. For something that is going to end life as we know it, you'd think scientitsts would be a bit mre cooperative. On the other hand, if it is just a hoax, then keeping things quiet while you suck millions of research dollars form governments make complete sense.

Coded messages, manipulated data and attempting to supress differing opinions is junk science pure and simple.

The Obama administration has another reason to hate Fox: it appears to be the only national television news outlet in America interested in the growing ClimateGate scandal.

Despite last Friday morning's bombshell that hacked e-mail messages from a British university suggested a conspiracy by some of the world's leading global warming alarmists -- many with direct ties to the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- to manipulate temperature data, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, and NBC through Monday evening have completely ignored the subject.

LexisNexis searches indicate that NPR appears to also be part of this news boycott.

By contrast, here are some of the stories news organizations apparently favored by the Obama adminstration have covered since ClimateGate broke:

ABC's "World News with Charles Gibson" Friday did a very lengthy piece about Oprah Winfrey ending her syndicated daytime talk show
ABC's "World News with Charles Gibson" Monday did a lengthy piece on new revelations involving the marital affair of Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.)
CBS "Evening News" Saturday reported a ten-year-old pianist playing at Carnegie Hall
CBS "Evening News" Sunday did lengthy pieces on the website FreeCreditReport.com not being free and the movie "New Moon"
CBS "Evening News" Monday did lengthy pieces about defective drywall and a man who makes money wearing t-shirts
NBC "Nightly News" Friday reported on Switzerland's supercollider being turned back on
NBC "Nightly News" Saturday did a somewhat lengthy report on food carts
NBC "Nightly News" Sunday reported the release of British singer Susan Boyle's CD, and then followed it up with another report Monday on her promoting it.
It's not that these aren't valid news stories, but should they ALL be of greater importance than a scandal involving scientists from around the world including some employed by NASA and American colleges?

ClimateGate Totally Ignored By TV News Outlets Except Fox | NewsBusters.org

Well, let's see. Short of researching the transcripts of every cable news program going back to last Friday, I'd have to say that your "list" above is pretty picky. As I recall, last Friday the top news stories were that the Senate was set for final debate the following day on their health care bill, and most networks that INTELLIGENT people watch were focusing on that. Also of importance in the news was the new guidelines for mamograms and pap smears, widely discussed because widely controversial; and oh yes, Sarah Palin was about to embark on her book tour, Obama had just returned from his Asia trip and his accomplishments were at the fore, and of course continued apprehension over Afghanistan.

So forgive me if I happened to miss reporting on a bunch of e-mails (the text of which I still haven't seen) which just happen to coincide with the upcoming summit on global warming. And which just happens to be a MONUMENTAL issue for the far right to glom onto as an issue winner in order to get them back in power. Surprise surprise.

Intelligent people watch the lame stream media???? I guess that we can conclude that the number of intelligent people are diminishing, because the people have switched to Fox. You must be one of the few intelligent people remaining, and one of the people who still watches the INTELLIGENT Lame stream media.:lol::lol::lol:

What did Obama ACCOMPLISH on his Asian trip?? I somehow missed that. Care to share??:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Why don't you indulge all of we backward-assed provincial "CON$" and give us the real context of this one, edthelemming?

" [We] will keep them (the skeptics) out somehow -- even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is!"
~Phil Jones, the director of the East Anglia climate center.
Again we have an "OUT OF CONTEXT" quote peppered with added words. Why wont you post the ENTIRE email that quote was manufactured from???
What do YOU have to hide??? Could it be they were discussing two particularly unscientific hack job papers rather than "the skeptics" in general, as your ADDED words imply???

POST THE WHOLE EMAIL and prove your added words don't change the context.
I predict you won't!!!!!!

Why don't you indulge all of we backward-assed provincial "CON$" and give us the real context of this one, edthelemming?

" [We] will keep them (the skeptics) out somehow -- even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is!"
Again we have an "OUT OF CONTEXT" quote peppered with added words. Why wont you post the ENTIRE email that quote was manufactured from???
What do YOU have to hide??? Could it be they were discussing two particularly unscientific hack job papers rather than "the skeptics" in general, as your ADDED words imply???

You go find the whole 'context.' Played this game enough with Ravi and others. Dude has repeatedly provided the link to the site with all the emails, a searchable database.

After reading this, all I can say is for a cynic you are awfully gullible about global warming.

It won't die:

CBS News Correspondent Declan McCullough provides an excellent summary of where things stand and the significance of the revelations. George Monbiot, a U.K. climate-change activist, admits that it's "no use pretending that this isn't a major blow. The emails extracted by a hacker from the climatic research unit at the University of East Anglia could scarcely be more damaging."
Congress may investigate. East Anglia acknowledges that it's systems were hacked, but hasn't yet confirmed the e-mails' authenticity. The scandal already has its own Wikipedia page. For journalists, the question of whether to delve into this would seem obvious. You already have a very big breaking story. Maybe it will ultimately support the claims of those skeptical of anthropogenic global warming, maybe it won't.
But right now, we have enough info to conclude there's probable cause to believe people at the Climate Research Unit fiddled with the data and discussed destroying e-mails to thwart a freedom-of-information requests. One e-mail talked about how to "hide the decline," the phrase that's become a rallying cry for AGW skeptics. Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit.com is all over this one: Just keep scrolling.

The MSM is going to be forced to decide whether to get ahead of this or not. The major newspapers have a problem in lack of investigative journalists. If they don't get moving, the New Media has the resources to deal with the 'code' which seems to be where proof will be found.

The MSM has been caught with it's pants down too many times. If they don't cover it properly, they will confirm to everyone that they have no scruples.

The White House LIKES them with their pants down. Saves time and skips the kissing part.

It won't die:

We've been discovering that for the last couple of years.

You go find the whole 'context.' Played this game enough with Ravi and others. Dude has repeatedly provided the link to the site with all the emails, a searchable database.
Just as I predicted!!! That didn't take long. A dodge rather than the email.

If it was so easy to search that database, you would have posted the email IF you had nothing to hide. But that database is just a bunch of numbers for each email. So post the number of that particular email. No excuses this time.

If it was so easy to search that database, you would have posted the email IF you had nothing to hide. But that database is just a bunch of numbers for each email. So post the number of that particular email. No excuses this time.

Again, with the 'do what I want or lose credibility.' I do not underestimate your ability to find information. Sure I might do it more quickly, without bias, but you CAN do it.

After reading this, all I can say is for a cynic you are awfully gullible about global warming.
If I was gullible you would have posted the whole email proving the context was "skeptics" and not 2 specific papers.

:lol: That's exactly what the email shows and it is exactly why Dud won't post it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Annie for the links. I loved this one from the Washington Post.

Mr. Trenberth, a lead author on the 2001 and 2007 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change assessments, said he had found 102 of his e-mails posted online. "I personally feel violated," he said. "I'm appalled at the very selective use of the e-mails, and the fact they've been taken out of context."

In one of the stolen e-mails, Mr. Trenberth is quoted as saying, "We can't account for the lack of warming at the moment, and it is a travesty that we can't."

He said the comment is presented by skeptics as evidence scientists can't explain some trends that appear to contradict their stance on climate change. Mr. Trenberth explained his phrase was actually contained in a paper he wrote about the need for better monitoring of global warming to explain the anomalies - in particular improved recording of rising sea-surface temperatures.

In another e-mail posted online, and unrelated to Mr. Trenberth, the British research center's director, Phil Jones, wrote that he had used a "trick" to "hide the decline" in a chart detailing recent global temperatures. Mr. Jones has denied manipulating evidence and insisted his comment had been misunderstood. He said in a statement Saturday that he'd used the word trick "as in a clever thing to do."

Mr. Trenberth acknowledged that language used by some colleagues in the hacked e-mails "looks awkward at best," particularly messages which criticize climate-change skeptics.

The libs are going to be fighting this tooth and nail, they are already in " attack mode," they have bought into this fraud for years now and it has blown up in their faces. Let's put Al Gore on trial, if we can find him while he is traveling around the world on his PRIVATE JET making millions of dollars perpetrating a fraud on the world.

Again, with the 'do what I want or lose credibility.' I do not underestimate your ability to find information. Sure I might do it more quickly, without bias, but you CAN do it.
I am not the one who posted the un-sourced quote with ADDED words. It is the burden of the poster or his supporters to supply the full email. You CON$ pull this crap on me when I post LimpBoy's quotes, and I don't add words to LimpBoy's quotes, and I post links to his transcripts when asked. You CON$ never accept "look them up yourself" from me, so why should I accept it from you.

Obviously you know the quote was not about "SKEPTICS" in general as the ADDED words imply, so you won't post the whole email.
Thank you.

If I was gullible you would have posted the whole email proving the context was "skeptics" and not 2 specific papers.

That is one of the more absurd if, then statements I have read in while. If you were gullible, I would post an email. :cuckoo:

I simply said you are being awfully gullible for someone that considers himself a cynic. A cynic would do his own google search and review documents and studies. Then present his conclusions. You just want to believe for some reason.

NBC ran the Climate Conference story tonight. Not word one about Climategate. Full speed ahead on reductions in emissions to save the planet.

GE has too much invested. Don't expect anything there.

GE and Al Gore, not too mention all those 'alternative fuels':

Why 'climategate' won't stop greens | Lorrie Goldstein | Columnists | Comment | Toronto Sun

Comment Columnists / Lorrie Goldstein
Why 'climategate' won't stop greens
By LORRIE GOLDSTEIN
Last Updated: 26th November 2009, 8:22am

If you're wondering how the robot-like march of the world's politicians towards Copenhagen can possibly continue in the face of the scientific scandal dubbed "climategate," it's because Big Government, Big Business and Big Green don't give a s*** about "the science."

They never have.

What "climategate" suggests is many of the world's leading climate scientists didn't either. Apparently they stifled their own doubts about recent global cooling not explained by their computer models, manipulated data, plotted ways to avoid releasing it under freedom of information laws and attacked fellow scientists and scientific journals for publishing even peer-reviewed literature of which they did not approve.

Now they and their media shills -- who sneered that all who questioned their phony "consensus" were despicable "deniers," the moral equivalent of those who deny the Holocaust -- are the ones in denial about the enormity of the scandal enveloping them.

So they desperately try to portray it as the routine "messy" business of science, lamely insisting, "nothing to see here folks, move along."

Before the Internet -- which has given ordinary people a way to fight back against the received wisdom of so-called "wise elites" -- they might have gotten away with it.

But not now, as knowledgeable climate bloggers are advancing the story and forcing the co-opted mainstream media to cover a scandal most would rather ignore...

Forum List

Back