Civil War Soldier's Ring Returned to Family 148 Years Later

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
A Civil War soldier's ring found outside of Fredericksburg, Va., has made its way back home to Pennsylvania, 148 years later.

The ring once belonged to Levi Schlegel of Reading, Pa., a Union Army soldier, who served two tours of duty under Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and fought at the Battle of Appomattox Court House, where Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered on April 9, 1865.

It is believed the ring was lost while Union troops were marching back to Washington, D.C., after the war was over.

John Blue of Manassas, Va., a Civil War relics hunter, found the ring in 2005 at a construction site using a metal detector, and noticed that it bore the inscription, "Levi Schlegel, Co. G., 198th P.V.," meaning Company G, 198th Pennsylvania Volunteers Regiment.

Blue worked with a genealogist, who called the Reading Public Library in Berks County, where Company G soldiers were recruited in the Civil War, and asked if there were any living Schlegel relatives in the area.

Turns out, Ernie Schlegel, a 49-year-old retired businessman from Reading, Pa., is a distant cousin of Levi Schlegel and sits on the library's board of trustees.

Civil War Soldier's Ring Returned to Family 148 Years Later - ABC News

Great story.

My own gr gr grandfather got a battlefield commission at Antietam. Was in 29 battles (in infantry combat in 15 or maybe 16 according to his files). Resigned his commission in 1864 because he believed Grant killed more Union men than needed to be killed. Apparently he did not want to die in trench warfare.

Became a very successful engineer. His signed first editions of civil war memoirs are in my library. Grant's is not among them.

Great story.

Had ancestors fight for both sides. More notorious of them were guerillas for the south in Missouri. Banditti is perhaps a more accurate term.

Hits you right in the feels, y'know?

I had no loyalist ancestors at the time of the war that I'm aware of. My maternal line is from Alabama and was plantation aristocracy and my paternal line hadn't emigrated yet. Several served in the Confederate army, a couple under Forrest.

Forum List

Back