Civil War Reenactment

Bart

Rookie
May 16, 2004
California
My son and I were at a Civil War reenactment today. There were 5 cannons which fired. Many auto alarms were making noise after the cannons went off.

My question is this. Why were some soldiers on both sides wearing green uniforms?

:confused:

My son and I were at a Civil War reenactment today. There were 5 cannons which fired. Many auto alarms were making noise after the cannons went off.

My question is this. Why were some soldiers on both sides wearing green uniforms?

Not all Civil War soldiers wore the well known blue & gray. Most do at the Civil War reenactment near my hometown.

From what I hear from my reenactor friends it seems that there are some restrictions unique to reeinactors. First of all no bayonets allowed for obvious reasons and no ramrods allowed because in the heat of a reeinactment it seems that the soldier might forget to take the ramrod out of the barrel after loading a blank charge and the ramrod could be launched like an arrow. No knives either because the soldiers sometimes take the emotion level too seriously and fistfights have been known to break out when the armies clash.

The stepson was involved in Civil War reenactments some years back. Yes, there are many sipulations and restrictions right down to stitches and buttons.

We went to Missississississississipi where he participated in a major scrum. It was the damndest thing I ever saw. It's like you're in a time warp, seeing it as the battles unfolded. They eat, sleep, shit, and die 1800's.

What battle and year was the reenactment
When I ask what year I mean was it 1861 62 63 or 64

The stepson was involved in Civil War reenactments some years back. Yes, there are many sipulations and restrictions right down to stitches and buttons.

We went to Missississississississipi where he participated in a major scrum. It was the damndest thing I ever saw. It's like you're in a time warp, seeing it as the battles unfolded. They eat, sleep, shit, and die 1800's.

Yep did you ever try it? I did it for 10 years.

Oh hell no. That's "roughing it" to extreme. But to see the immense battles that we attended was awe inspiring to say the least. I've got some great video that I shot in sepia tone. I should find that and post it up.

During that time, the kid was also an interpreter at a local State Historic Site. His supervisor let him borrow an original 1800's flint-lock musket which he brought home, and we took a few pot shots out in the woods. That was a cool experience.

He also handcrafted civil war knapsacks which he sold to other reenactors. So one year he breaks his arm in a sledding accident after committing to a half-dozen orders. Me and the Mrs. ended up cutting, staining, and stitching those fuckers together. It was a bitch.

Oh hell no. That's "roughing it" to extreme. But to see the immense battles that we attended was awe inspiring to say the least. I've got some great video that I shot in sepia tone. I should find that and post it up.

During that time, the kid was also an interpreter at a local State Historic Site. His supervisor let him borrow an original 1800's flint-lock musket which he brought home, and we took a few pot shots out in the woods. That was a cool experience.

He also handcrafted civil war knapsacks which he sold to other reenactors. So one year he breaks his arm in a sledding accident after committing to a half-dozen orders. Me and the Mrs. ended up cutting, staining, and stitching those fuckers together. It was a bitch.

I hated the battles but loved the after hours sitting by the camp fire no modern conveniences sitting in camp under the stars and rows of tents burning wood. Makes me want to go back.

Wait till you see some Zouaves or the Louisiana Tigers.

Last edited:

Probably Clinch Rifles, Georgia. The green is the early war militia uniforms they wore which were quickly replaced by the standard 'grey' uniforms as standardization and production became more the economic norm.
One of the problems with early war militia uniforms is some southern states wore blue and some northern states wore grey and both had Zouaves which, obviously, lead to major problems on the battlefield.

As regiments were often privately funded, they also choose what their uniforms looked like.

Considering the major cause of death for soldiers on both sides in the Civil War was disease, the camp life was more dangerous than the battles.

Forum List

Back