Civil Rights - what are included?

Ok, I see. I thought you were referring to him and thinking I said that.

The ninth puts further restrictions on the government as far as rights go but I imagine it may mean that there may be a right that individual states and or communities decide they need.

States don't have rights in the constitution. They have powers. Only people have rights.

And the 9th makes it pretty clear there are other rights. Do you still insist there are none?

I did not say that states had rights, I said that in some states the people might want some rights that aren't covered in the Bill if Rights.

The 9th amendment doesn't say a thing about the States. It speaks only about people and the rights they possess. The BIll of Rights didn't even apply to the States in the era of the founders. So where did you get the idea that these 'other rights' are predicated on 'individual states'?

The States are probably the least relevant to the 9th amendment.

Look, you are confused.

Nope. I've actually read the 9th amendment. It doesn't say what you do.

Do you have a point?

Yup. That there are other rights than those articulated in the Bill of Rights.

Ok, like what?

States don't have rights in the constitution. They have powers. Only people have rights.

And the 9th makes it pretty clear there are other rights. Do you still insist there are none?

I did not say that states had rights, I said that in some states the people might want some rights that aren't covered in the Bill if Rights.

The 9th amendment doesn't say a thing about the States. It speaks only about people and the rights they possess. The BIll of Rights didn't even apply to the States in the era of the founders. So where did you get the idea that these 'other rights' are predicated on 'individual states'?

Look, you are confused.

Do you have a point?

Exactly. The list of our rights is limitless.

Not at all true.

Look, you are confused.

Do you have a point?

Not at all true.

Why? Remember, the 9th amendment doesn't say what you do.

Look, you are confused.

Do you have a point?

Not at all true.

Irrelevant, there are limits on our rights.

Look, you are confused.

Do you have a point?

Ok, like what?

Any right not enumerated in the constitution and still retained by the people. The right to be able to buy birth control. The right to privacy, self defense with a fire arm, right to abortion, right to vote, right to marry, etc.

Look, you are confused.

Do you have a point?

Not at all true.

But why is it irrelevant? You're merely declaring it so. But you've presented no argument nor evidence to establish that it is. Same with your 'not at all true' post.

That's a baseless (at least so far) declaration. Not an argument.

Look, you are confused.

Do you have a point?

Ok, like what?

Any right not enumerated in the constitution and still retained by the people. The right to be able to buy birth control. The right to privacy, self defense with a fire arm, right to abortion, right to vote, right to marry, etc.

See how the far left makes up "rights" that do not exists in the Constitution!

here is a link to the constitution in terms they may understand:

http://www.usconstitution.net/constkidsK.html\

The Constitutional Topics pages at the USConstitution.net site are presented to delve deeper into topics than can be provided on the Glossary Page or in the FAQ pages. This Topic Page concerns Marriage. Though not mentioned in the Constitution, marriage has become a constitutional hot-button topic in recent years.

Constitutional Topic: Marriage - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution

Have you ever heard someone say, "That's unconstitutional!" or "That's my constitutional right!" and wondered if they were right? You might be surprised how often people get it wrong. You might also be surprised how often people get it right. Your best defense against misconception is reading and knowing your Constitution.

A lot of people presume a lot of things about the Constitution. Some are true, some are not. This page will detail some of the things that people think are in the Constitution, but are not.

One critique of this page is that it is full of nit-picks. Slavery, for example, may not be "in" the original Constitution, but it is in the original Constitution — the word may not have been there, but the concept was. This is absolutely true. But by studying the words and coming to know them intimately, we gain a better understanding of our history and how some arguments about the Constitution endure.

Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Look, you are confused.

Do you have a point?

Ok, like what?

You don't have a right to buy something that isn't yours, but other than that sure.

Look, you are confused.

Do you have a point?

Ok, like what?

You don't have a right to buy something that isn't yours, but other than that sure.

So we're in agreement then that there are more rights than are articulated in the Bill of Rights and that the 9th amendment cites these 'other' rights?

Not at all true.

But why is it irrelevant? You're merely declaring it so. But you've presented no argument nor evidence to establish that it is. Same with your 'not at all true' post.

It's irrelevant because as an answer, it doesn't fit my statement. My "not at all true" statement fits simply because it's true. You yourself argued with another poster that rights were in fact limited.

So, if you have nothing but stupid statements to make, I think we are done.

Not at all true.

It's irrelevant because as an answer, it doesn't fit my statement. My "not at all true" statement fits simply because it's true. You yourself argued with another poster that rights were in fact limited.

Your statement was 'its irrelevant'. I'm asking why its irrelevant. And you no rational answer, no argument, nothing. Rendering your claim a baseless declaration. Not an actual argument.

And your statement is 'fits because its true' is circular reasoning. As your conclusion and your evidence are the same thing.

So far you've offered no insight into the topic of the thread, the 9th amendment, nothing. When you have something relevant to add, join us

Not at all true.

Your statement was 'its irrelevant'. I'm asking why its irrelevant. And you no rational answer, no argument, nothing. Rendering your claim a baseless declaration. Not an actual argument.

And your statement is 'fits because its true' is circular reasoning. As your conclusion and your evidence are the same thing.

So far you've offered no insight into the topic of the thread, the 9th amendment, nothing. When you have something relevant to add, join us

Yeah we are done.

Yeah we are done.

Since you have yet to offer a single claimed backed by sound reasoning or comments relevant to the topic,. 'we' never started.

The door is open. But it doesn't look like you're prepared for a conversation about the 9th amendment or civil rights. As the 9th amendment doesn't say what you do.

Did Jefferson identify them in the Declaration of Independence? Or are they only the Rights delineated in COTUS?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

What other Rights might be among the three noted in this seminal document?

What Rights can we infer from the 9th Amendment?

Can Rights be abridged by "The People"?

they're the rights in the constitution as delineated by the courts

Did Jefferson identify them in the Declaration of Independence? Or are they only the Rights delineated in COTUS?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

They are identified in the Amendments.

Rights are endowed by the Creator...not by Obabble and al sharpton.

Non sequitur. If you want to argue God exists, and created Rights, please provide the evidence.

Even if true, it is man who enforces the Rights or not, no matter their source during his or her life time.

Oh, and take you childish misuse of the President of the United States name and shove it up your racist ass, if there's enough room being that's where your head is.

How can it be a non sequitur when it is in your OP? The Declaration merely states that Rights are natural, they are given to you by whichever creator you happen to believe in when you are born and the COTUS merely enumerates those Rights which the government is not allowed to screw with. Pretty simple if you A understand English, and B are not trying to pervert it's meaning for political reasons.

The Constitution is a document that articulates powers. Its not an exhaustive list of rights. Rights are the freedom to act without government interference, at least as the founders understood them. And a right need not be enumerated in the Constitution in order for the government to be prevented from interfering with it.

What about those that aren't enumerated in the Amendments? Like the 'other' rights that the 9th amendment recognizes the people retain without enumeration.

pathetic

Forum List

Back