Civil Rights Act 1964: Repeal?

Bush92

GHBush1992
May 23, 2014
If the Civil Rights Act of 1964 were repealed...does anyone REALLY think we would go back to segregation...or has society reached a point where it is now an unnecessary part of the past that only serves to divide people more? Example: Civil Rights Division of Justice Department that operates with complete disregard for the law.

If that we're not a concern, if racists did not want to continue to treat blacks as second class citizens, there would be no one wanting to repeal it. Read the daily news. What is needed is to strengthen the law.

As long as we have Democrats, we will need laws like this to keep them from reverting back to their KKK Ways

If that we're not a concern, if racists did not want to continue to treat blacks as second class citizens, there would be no one wanting to repeal it. Read the daily news. What is needed is to strengthen the law.
I do read the news. As a whole Americans get along great. Throw out this divisive reminder of the past. It would be a breath of fresh air, a rebirth of sorts.

If the Civil Rights Act of 1964 were repealed...does anyone REALLY think we would go back to segregation...or has society reached a point where it is now an unnecessary part of the past that only serves to divide people more? Example: Civil Rights Division of Justice Department that operates with complete disregard for the law.

The parts applying to private businesses certainly SHOULD be repealed as they are unconstitutional, and the government is already forbidden to discriminate by COTUS Amendment, so repealing it would be best in the general scheme of things.

Liberals need the Civil Rights Act (which is now moot) as a reminder in their minds of how "bad and evil" America is. Liberal history begins in 1964. They hate the generation that won WWII. They can't accept that a segregated society would defeat Nazism. Ruins the victory for them. So Civil Rights Movement, that they want to fight over and over and over and over again...only divides America. Give the young generation a chance to grow without your liberal hatred.

The parts applying to private businesses certainly SHOULD be repealed as they are unconstitutional, and the government is already forbidden to discriminate by COTUS Amendment, so repealing it would be best in the general scheme of things.
Thank you!

If the Civil Rights Act of 1964 were repealed...

it would be an ugly symbolic gesture at best. At worst, it could do serious damage to the principles of equality under the. Most of the Civil Rights Act itself makes sense. Granted, the public accommodations laws are insidious, and the idea of protected classes directly contradicts equal protection. And the policies built up around these parts of the law should be abolished. But the idea that government must respect equal rights is vital to a free society, and that's the what the bulk of the Act addresses.

it would be an ugly symbolic gesture at best. At worst, it could do serious damage to the principles of equality under the. Most of the Civil Rights Act itself makes sense. Granted, the public accommodations laws are insidious, and the idea of protected classes directly contradicts equal protection. And the policies built up around these parts of the law should be abolished. But the idea that government must respect equal rights is vital to a free society, and that's the what the bulk of the Act addresses.

Sir we have a Constitutional Amendment which states that already

Would be akin to passing a law that says the government can't take away guns. Why bother?

Would be akin to passing a law that says the government can't take away guns. Why bother?

Because some folks like to take liberties with "interpreting" the Constitution. And it doesn't hurt to reiterate and underline the stuff that is most important.

14th and 15th already cover this ground. Civil Rights Act is redundant.

Because some folks like to take liberties with "interpreting" the Constitution. And it doesn't hurt to reiterate and underline the stuff that is most important.
Of course it hurts when you have it angling around for no reason other than to divide the country. Do we need the government to tell us how to get along or are we all grown up now? I think we're big boys and girls. I think if you want to keep the Civil Rights Act...you are a racist.

But why bother to repeal something that is simply redundant. I agree, portions of it need to go, but the symbolism of repealing it en toto would be a honking middle finger to minorities. Just don't see any point in it.

But why bother to repeal something that is simply redundant. I agree, portions of it need to go, but the symbolism of repealing it en toto would be a honking middle finger to minorities. Just don't see any point in it.
I don't see the point of having it around. Would send a message of newness and rebirth. I'm sure the racist like Al Sharpton would see it as a middle finger...but when you cry, bitch and moan , what signal does that send to our children?

Personally I would be 100% fine with them simply redacting the parts that tell me what I can and can't do with my own business.

Keep your oppressive hands off of my human rights.

I'm sure that you had something in mind when you wrote the above but I didn't get what it was. When you strip out all of the aspects you mentioned, what was the core redeeming value that you see embedded in the CRA? What's left over?

As a PR strategy, I agree with you. Gut the thing to irrelevance and leave it standing as an empty shell and no one can say that you repealed that abomination.

I do read the news. As a whole Americans get along great. Throw out this divisive reminder of the past. It would be a breath of fresh air, a rebirth of sorts.

A law that protects the equal rights of American citizens is a divisive reminder of the past?

lol, who does it divide? Apparently it divides the people who want equal rights with those that don't.

Forum List

Back