CIA documents supported Susan Rice’s description of Benghazi attacks

It's entertaining to watch this issue blow up in obama's face despite all of the spin from the left here and in the media.

It will be even more fun to watch when the Foreign Policy debate is done.

I just don't get it. Romney was an idiot because he called it a terror attack, now Obama is saying he did the same thing? Do people really believe this crap, really???

So let me see if I understand this. Romney was chastised for saying this was a terrorist attack.....
You never understand anything. The POS Bishop Willard was condemned for falsely claiming Obama apologized for America's values. The fact that you are rewriting history proves that in spite of anything you might say to the contrary you know that Bishop Willard was a despicable POS to try to politicize Libya before we even knew Stevens was dead.

Bishop Willard was a despicable POS to try to politicize Libya before we even knew Stevens was dead.

The coordinated terrorist attack on an unsecured diplomatic post and the murder of a US Ambassador and his staff is political.
Don't you ever get tired of the perpetual dumb act???

Accusing Obama of apologizing to the attackers is politicizing at its most despicable level.

The Romney campaign may have misfired with its suggestion that statements by President Obama and U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice about the Benghazi attack last month weren’t supported by intelligence, according to documents provided by a senior U.S. intelligence official.

“Talking points” prepared by the CIA on Sept. 15, the same day that Rice taped three television appearances, support her description of the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate as a reaction to Arab anger about an anti-Muslim video prepared in the United States. According to the CIA account, “The currently available information suggests that the demonstrations in Benghazi were spontaneously inspired by the protests at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo and evolved into a direct assault against the U.S. Consulate and subsequently its annex. There are indications that extremists participated in the violent demonstrations.”

The senior intelligence official said the analysts’ judgment was based in part on monitoring of some of the Benghazi attackers, which showed they had been watching the Cairo protests live on television and talking about them before they assaulted the consulate.

“We believe the timing of the attack was influenced by events in Cairo,” the senior official said, reaffirming the Cairo-Benghazi link. He said that judgment is repeated in a new report prepared this week for the House intelligence committee.

Washington Post

You are a lying sack of shit.

The Associated Press: GOP pounces after news of CIA cable on Libya raid

Ummm, your link kinda agrees with the point made by the OP.
This Wednesday, the chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., put the blame on the director of national intelligence, James Clapper.

"I think what happened was the director of intelligence, who is a very good individual, put out some speaking points on the initial intelligence assessment," Feinstein said in an interview with news channel CBS 5 in California. "I think that was possibly a mistake."

A U.S. intelligence official said that the talking points were written so senior officials could say something preliminary about the attacks but that it wasn't until days later that analysts reconciled contradictory information and decided there probably wasn't a protest around the time of the attack. The official spoke anonymously because the official was not allowed to speak publicly of the still-evolving investigation.

The official said "right now, there isn't any intelligence" that the attackers pre-planned their assault days or weeks in advance, but instead still points to an them launching the assault opportunistically after they learned about the violence at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo.

How does me calling the OP a lying sack of shit imply that I agree with him?

Ummm, your link kinda agrees with the point made by the OP.
This Wednesday, the chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., put the blame on the director of national intelligence, James Clapper.

"I think what happened was the director of intelligence, who is a very good individual, put out some speaking points on the initial intelligence assessment," Feinstein said in an interview with news channel CBS 5 in California. "I think that was possibly a mistake."

A U.S. intelligence official said that the talking points were written so senior officials could say something preliminary about the attacks but that it wasn't until days later that analysts reconciled contradictory information and decided there probably wasn't a protest around the time of the attack. The official spoke anonymously because the official was not allowed to speak publicly of the still-evolving investigation.

The official said "right now, there isn't any intelligence" that the attackers pre-planned their assault days or weeks in advance, but instead still points to an them launching the assault opportunistically after they learned about the violence at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo.

How does me calling the OP a lying sack of shit imply that I agree with him?

I can't answer that, because it doesn't

The Romney campaign may have misfired with its suggestion that statements by President Obama and U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice about the Benghazi attack last month weren’t supported by intelligence, according to documents provided by a senior U.S. intelligence official.

“Talking points” prepared by the CIA on Sept. 15, the same day that Rice taped three television appearances, support her description of the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate as a reaction to Arab anger about an anti-Muslim video prepared in the United States. According to the CIA account, “The currently available information suggests that the demonstrations in Benghazi were spontaneously inspired by the protests at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo and evolved into a direct assault against the U.S. Consulate and subsequently its annex. There are indications that extremists participated in the violent demonstrations.”

The senior intelligence official said the analysts’ judgment was based in part on monitoring of some of the Benghazi attackers, which showed they had been watching the Cairo protests live on television and talking about them before they assaulted the consulate.

“We believe the timing of the attack was influenced by events in Cairo,” the senior official said, reaffirming the Cairo-Benghazi link. He said that judgment is repeated in a new report prepared this week for the House intelligence committee.

Washington Post

Did you even read this article. It is an opinion piece.
" A Senior official"....
First off the CIA does not take to the media. So whomever this senior official might be, he does not work for the CIA.
This is how this went..This writer places a phone call to some low level press liaison and says "I am going to write a piece on the US Consulate in Benghazi. Here is what I am going to write. ( fills in the blanks)..Do you have any comment?".
"I will put you in touch with a "senior official" who will give you some background that will make the intelligence community look good, But he or she will not comment if you intend on quoting him or her. That's the deal."
This is how the game is played. Reporters and columnists get access to the highest levels of the administration by reporting stuff that makes the people in those levels look good.
And you bought this shit as some kind of impartial opinion or even maybe a legitimate news item.
All because it makes Obama look good.
This is a massive cover-up so as not to allow Obaam to appear foolish. When Obama declared the war on terror over because bin Laden was dead and Alqaida was in disarray, it was supposed to be indisputable. The fact is Alqaida is not done and now they have executed a terrorist attack on a US Consulate and killed 4 Americans. Obama's people must have said something to effect, "Never mind the dead people, how the fuck did this happen and who the fuck do we blame. Because it cannot get out that this was the work of Alqaida."

So let me see if I understand this. Romney was chastised for saying this was a terrorist attack.....wasn't it shoot first, aim later?? But Obama did call it a terror attack?? That's why he attacked Romney?? :cuckoo:

Obama is right. Some people are too stupid to want the truth, he's got you pegged. It's a good thing some of us still understand some people will do anything to save their butts, in this case to save his chance at re-election.

Did anyone else watch the congressional hearings?? If you did you'd see Obama has again sucked you in because he knows you will believe anything he says.

Shit, this gets better all the time. Last week Biden played the "we did not know" card. Now Obama is claiming he said it was a terror attack ( which he didn't) the next day.

So let me see if I understand this. Romney was chastised for saying this was a terrorist attack.....wasn't it shoot first, aim later?? But Obama did call it a terror attack?? That's why he attacked Romney?? :cuckoo:

Obama is right. Some people are too stupid to want the truth, he's got you pegged. It's a good thing some of us still understand some people will do anything to save their butts, in this case to save his chance at re-election.

Did anyone else watch the congressional hearings?? If you did you'd see Obama has again sucked you in because he knows you will believe anything he says.

Shit, this gets better all the time. Last week Biden played the "we did not know" card. Now Obama is claiming he said it was a terror attack ( which he didn't) the next day.

Welcome to the world of not paying attention. That is NOT what Biden was refering to. Do any republicans ever apply ANY facts to their thought process? Do they do ANY research or Thinking before the bleat out their indignation?

Jesus Christ you lefties are morons.

I could 'splain the rediculousness of this garbage but I'd rather sit back, point and laugh, as this whole thing blows up in the faces of Obama and the DNC.

Carry on.

Here is what you CAN do...PROVE that the anti-Islamic film had nothing to do with the attack.

But here is your problem...you CAN'T.

Rice, the State Dept and the White House were going on the best available 'intel' at the time. And any logical and intelligent person would highly suspect that the protests they were seeing in Cairo OVER THE FILM, that preceded the Benghazi attacks and the protests OVER THE FILM that occurred in over 20 countries were related and fueled by the same cause.

BUT, right wing turds who HATE America because they democratically elected a Democratic President and want to destroy that same President with no regard for this country, it's people or the truth, would rather attack the President.

Umm we do not prove negatives here. You've been told that numerous times.
Now, the administration has clearly indicated to their knowledge this was an organized terror attack that was well planned.
The fact that the finger pointing has run it's course is an indication that the Obama admin wants this to simply go away.
Newsflash, it isn't.
This was a fuck up at the highest levels of government.
Why the Obama admin did not simply admit an error and moved on is a mystery.
This would have been a non-issue. But Obama continued with the video clip line because he simply could not admit his claim that the war on terror and the conflict with Al Qaida was over.
The blaming was just circus like. First it was a video, Then when it became evident that it was a terror attack, the admin blamed the intel. Then when the intel was confirmed as a terror attack, the Sec'y of State fell on her sword. Then the President claimed it stopped with him...Then the Admin blamed the intelligence community.
Now the intel people are fighting back..
The whole thing is a giant cluster fuck.
At the end of the day, Obama is to blame for this. It's HIS watch.

I could 'splain the rediculousness of this garbage but I'd rather sit back, point and laugh, as this whole thing blows up in the faces of Obama and the DNC.

Carry on.

Here is what you CAN do...PROVE that the anti-Islamic film had nothing to do with the attack.

Rice, the State Dept and the White House were going on the best available 'intel' at the time. And any logical and intelligent person would highly suspect that the protests they were seeing in Cairo OVER THE FILM, that preceded the Benghazi attacks and the protests OVER THE FILM that occurred in over 20 countries were related and fueled by the same cause.

BUT, right wing turds who HATE America because they democratically elected a Democratic President and want to destroy that same President with no regard for this country, it's people or the truth, would rather attack the President.

When did the film go public ?

Bishop Willard was a despicable POS to try to politicize Libya before we even knew Stevens was dead.

The coordinated terrorist attack on an unsecured diplomatic post and the murder of a US Ambassador and his staff is political.
Don't you ever get tired of the perpetual dumb act???

Accusing Obama of apologizing to the attackers is politicizing at its most despicable level.

You've answered your own question as you continually post bulls**t that has no basis in fact.

Does not seem to bother you and you don't seem tired of doing it. Cause you do it all the time.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuTHmLEy5BE&feature=related]Awful Video of US Ambassador After Attack In Benghazi Libya - GRAPHIC - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g8K9MyunGQ]Michael Savage: Ambassador Stevens Raped and Sodomized Before Murder. - YouTube[/ame]

Is this what the CIA Documents are telling us along with the fact they have drone tapes and tapes of the attacks as they happened. But just another bump in the road. Actually four in this case. Just who gave the orders to cut the security for the Benghazi Consulate and especially Stevens personal security Team? Even Valary Jarret has better security than Stevens and she's not as important. Well at least to ther majority of Americans.

Washington Post

" A Senior official"....
First off the CIA does not take to the media. So whomever this senior official might be, he does not work for the CIA.
This is how this went..This writer places a phone call to some low level press liaison and says "I am going to write a piece on the US Consulate in Benghazi. Here is what I am going to write. ( fills in the blanks)..Do you have any comment?".
"I will put you in touch with a "senior official" who will give you some background that will make the intelligence community look good, But he or she will not comment if you intend on quoting him or her. That's the deal."
This is how the game is played. Reporters and columnists get access to the highest levels of the administration by reporting stuff that makes the people in those levels look good.
And you bought this shit as some kind of impartial opinion or even maybe a legitimate news item.
This is a massive cover-up so as not to allow Obaam to appear foolish. When Obama declared the war on terror over because bin Laden was dead and Alqaida was in disarray, it was supposed to be indisputable. The fact is Alqaida is not done and now they have executed a terrorist attack on a US Consulate and killed 4 Americans. Obama's people must have said something to effect, "Never mind the dead people, how the fuck did this happen and who the fuck do we blame. Because it cannot get out that this was the work of Alqaida."

WOW, talk about fabricating a story. That is a not 'how this went'...

David Ignatius is reporting the pertinent contents of a CIA DOCUMENT prepared for the House intelligence committee. Go back and read it again. Notice these little thingies..."quotation marks"

Carry on.

Now, the administration has clearly indicated to their knowledge this was an organized terror attack that was well planned.
The fact that the finger pointing has run it's course is an indication that the Obama admin wants this to simply go away.
Newsflash, it isn't.
This would have been a non-issue. But Obama continued with the video clip line because he simply could not admit his claim that the war on terror and the conflict with Al Qaida was over.
The blaming was just circus like. First it was a video, Then when it became evident that it was a terror attack, the admin blamed the intel. Then when the intel was confirmed as a terror attack, the Sec'y of State fell on her sword. Then the President claimed it stopped with him...Then the Admin blamed the intelligence community.

More bullshit. I thought you read the article.

The Benghazi attack produced a swirl of intelligence reporting, some of it contradictory. The Associated Press reported Friday that within 24 hours of the assault, the CIA station chief in Libya cabled headquarters that eyewitnesses said the attack had been carried out by militants. But the analysts evidently didn’t feel that they had any single report that allowed them to make a definitive determination about the nature of the attack.

A memo prepared by the National Counterterrorism Center on Sept. 14 illustrates the fragmentary nature of the evidence: “As time progresses, we are learning more, but we still don’t have a complete picture of what happened,” noted the analysts. “At this point, we are not aware of any actionable intelligence that this attack was planned or imminent. . . . We are very cautious about drawing any firm conclusions at this point with regard to identification and motivation of the attackers.”

The analysts seem confident that al-Qaeda’s new leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, played no direct role in the Benghazi events, even though he called on Sept. 10 for revenge attacks against the United States. “He’s not a manager, he’s not a planner, he’s not an operator. He’s a theologian, and that doesn’t have much resonance now. He’s almost irrelevant, he’s so concerned about his security, so hunkered down,” said the senior official.

Ironically, the Sept. 15 talking points that were the basis for Rice’s televised comments were requested by the House intelligence committee. Ideally, the congressional oversight committees would provide bipartisan support for intelligence officials who are probing the attack. But in the heat of the final pre-election weeks, the murky details of what happened in Libya have instead become political assault weapons.

Carry on.

When did the film go public ?

Irreverent. WHEN did the worldwide protests 'go public' in 20 countries over the film?

nyp-logo-230x32.png

Anti-US protests spread to
20 countries throughout
Muslim world

From ASSOCIATED PRESS
Last Updated: 2:29 PM, September 14, 2012

FILM-PROTESTS_103335--525x350.jpg

Protesters shout slogans during a demonstration near the US embassy in Amman against a film
they claim was insulting to Prophet Mohammad.

CAIRO — Angry protests over an anti-Islam film spread across the Muslim world Friday, with demonstrators scaling the walls of US embassies in Tunisia and Sudan and torching part of a German embassy. Amid the turmoil, Islamic militants waving black banners and shouting “God is great” stormed an international peacekeepers base in Egypt’s Sinai and battled troops, wounding four Colombians. …

The day of protests, which spread to around 20 countries, started small and mostly peacefully in countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Afghanistan and Pakistan. The most violent demonstrations took place in the Middle East. In many places, only a few hundred took to the streets, mostly ultraconservative Islamists — but the mood was often furious.

JORDANUSFILMPROTEST111745--525x350.jpg

Jordanian protesters burn a US flag in front of the Kurdi Mosque near the USA embassy in Amman.

The demonstrators came out after weekly Friday Muslim prayers, where many clerics in their mosque sermons urged congregations to defend their faith, denouncing the obscure movie produced in the United States that denigrated the Prophet Muhammad. It was a dramatic expansion of protests that began earlier this week and saw assaults on the US embassies in Egypt and Yemen and the storming of the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

Several thousand battled with Tunisian security forces outside the US Embassy in Tunis. Protesters rained down stones on police firing volleys of tear gas and shooting into the air. Some protesters scaled the embassy wall and stood on top of it, planting the Islamist flag that has become a symbol of the wave of protests: A black banner with the Islamic profession of faith, “There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his prophet.”

Police chased them off the wall and took the flag down. Two protesters were killed and 29 people were wounded, including police.

The heaviest violence came in Sudan, where a prominent sheik on state radio urged protesters to march on the German Embassy to protest alleged anti-Muslim graffiti on mosques in Berlin and then to the US Embassy to protest the film.

“America has long been an enemy to Islam and to Sudan,” Sheik Mohammed Jizouly said.

Soon after, several hundred Sudanese stormed into the German Embassy, setting part of an embassy building aflame along with trash bins and a parked car. Protesters danced and celebrated around the burning barrels as palls of black smoke billowed into the sky until police firing tear gas drove them out of the compound. Some then began to demonstrate outside the neighboring British Embassy, shouting slogans.

Several thousand then moved on the American Embassy, on the capital’s outskirts. They tried to storm the mission, clashing with Sudanese police, who opened fire on some who tried to scale the compound’s wall. It was not clear whether any protesters made it into the embassy grounds.

Egypt's Morsi said his TV address that "it is required by our religion to protect our guests and their homes and places of work," he said.

He called the killing of the American ambassador in Libya unacceptable in Islam. "To God, attacking a person is bigger than an attack on the Kaaba," he said, referring to Islam's holiest site in Mecca.

His speech came after President Obama spoke with Morsi by telephone. The Obama administration has been angered by Morsi's slow response to the attack Tuesday night on the US Embassy in Cairo. He made little more than vague statements about it for days without an outright condemnation of the breach, in which police did nothing to stop protesters from climbing the embassy walls.

His silence reflected the heavy pressure that Morsi, a longtime figure from the Muslim Brotherhood, faces from Egypt's powerful ultraconservative Islamists. They are using the film issue to boost their own political prominence while challenging Morsi's religious credentials.

Leaders of Egypt's Jihad group, a former militant organization, held a conference in the Egyptian city of Alexandria and said anyone involved in "defamation" of the prophet should be killed. They called on Morsi to cut relations with US

"I appeal to President Mohammed Morsi to cut our relations with those monkeys and pigs," said Rifaei Taha, a leading member of the group.

Several hundred people, mainly ultraconservatives, protested in Cairo's Tahrir Square after weekly Muslim Friday prayers and tore up an American flag, waving the Islamist flag. A firebrand ultraconservative Salafi cleric blasted the film in his sermon in Tahrir, saying Muslims must defend Islam and its prophet.

Anti-US protests spread to 20 countries throughout Muslim world - NYPOST.com

Washington Post

" A Senior official"....

WOW, talk about fabricating a story. That is a not 'how this went'...

David Ignatius is reporting the pertinent contents of a CIA DOCUMENT prepared for the House intelligence committee. Go back and read it again. Notice these little thingies..."quotation marks"
No he wasn't. The CIA does not talk to the media about ongoing investigations. EVER.
Let's just say for a moment, it was a report prepared for an Intelligence Subcommittee, how is it that the CIA MISSED a statement issued by the Libyan President that it WAS an organized terror attack?
And now we get to the real question, why did Obama after learning the attack was planned, double down on his statement that this was a riot over a video clip?
Why did it take two weeks for the excuses "we went with the intel we had at the time"?
Why did the State Dept decide to declare only after the news story changed to a "terror attack" did the white House finally agree with that idea?
You can chuck duck roll and dive all you wish. It doesn't change the facts which are well documented.

Newsflash, it isn't.

More bullshit. I thought you read the article.

The Benghazi attack produced a swirl of intelligence reporting, some of it contradictory. The Associated Press reported Friday that within 24 hours of the assault, the CIA station chief in Libya cabled headquarters that out by militants. But the analysts evidently didn’t feel that they had any single report eyewitnesses said the attack had been carried that allowed them to make a definitive determination about the nature of the attack.

A memo prepared by the National Counterterrorism Center on Sept. 14 illustrates the fragmentary nature of the evidence: “As time progresses, we are learning more, but we still don’t have a complete picture of what happened,” noted the analysts. “At this point, we are not aware of any actionable intelligence that this attack was planned or imminent. . . . We are very cautious about drawing any firm conclusions at this point with regard to identification and motivation of the attackers.”

The analysts seem confident that al-Qaeda’s new leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, played no direct role in the Benghazi events, even though he called on Sept. 10 for revenge attacks against the United States. “He’s not a manager, he’s not a planner, he’s not an operator. He’s a theologian, and that doesn’t have much resonance now. He’s almost irrelevant, he’s so concerned about his security, so hunkered down,” said the senior official.

Ironically, the Sept. 15 talking points that were the basis for Rice’s televised comments were requested by the House intelligence committee. Ideally, the congressional oversight committees would provide bipartisan support for intelligence officials who are probing the attack. But in the heat of the final pre-election weeks, the murky details of what happened in Libya have instead become political assault weapons.

"But the analysts evidently didn’t feel"
"the CIA station chief in Libya cabled headquarters that ( the attack was) carried out by militants"
"The analysts seem confident"...
Hmm, and we're just supposed to take their word for it.
We're hinging on "feel" and "seems"..
It is on that basis this thing is a cluster fuck and one big steaming pile of bullshit.

Forum List

Back