Churches Worry More About Evangelism Than Helping The Poor And Starving

Cammmpbell

Sep 13, 2011
Church of the Nazarene - Offering Resources

"The World Evangelism Fund fuels the Church of the Nazarene’s global mission. Because we can do more working together than we can alone, every church shares a portion of income for the purpose of making Christlike disciples in the nations.

The global mission of the Church of the Nazarene is a strategic undertaking. To accomplish the Great Commission—spreading the gospel and the message of holiness around the world—requires significant funding.

In “self-funded” missions, missionaries must spend valuable time raising their own financial support. They conduct services, take offerings, receive pledges of support, and pray that they are able to raise sufficient funds themselves. Sometimes, their time of service is shortened by lack of resources. Larger churches are visited by more missionaries than they could possibly help, while some smaller churches are overlooked."

Meanwhile nearly a billion people, mostly children starve and/or suffer from malnutrition. All my life I've watched churches promote every manner of fund raising on their agenda and basically ignore what their charge was from the new testament...to take care of the poor.

Last edited:
So, the fact that the Great Commission has ALWAYS been the first priority of Christian ministry is news? What a startling revelation, Cammmpbell.

So, the fact that the Great Commission has ALWAYS been the first priority of Christian ministry is news? What a startling revelation, Cammmpbell.

Oh I have no reservation about that. The facts of the matter are that interest in Christianity all over the world is on a major decline and the poor and starving be damned until they get the collection plates brimming again. Ancient god worship is finally about to bow out of the modern world and not a bit too soon to suit me. What in the world will all those cardinals, priests, bishops, fathers, sisters, reverends, preachers, pastors, ministers, just plain ol' grunt and thumpers gonna' do when they have to look for something honest to do for a living?

Oh I have no reservation about that. The facts of the matter are that interest in Christianity all over the world is on a major decline and the poor and starving be damned until they get the collection plates brimming again. Ancient god worship is finally about to bow out of the modern world and not a bit too soon to suit me. What in the world will all those cardinals, priests, bishops, fathers, sisters, reverends, preachers, pastors, ministers, just plain ol' grunt and thumpers gonna' do when they have to look for something honest to do for a living?

I'm not too interested in your agenda to be quite honest. I just don't know why you have the expectation that the purpose of a church is to help the poor and needy.

I'm not too interested in your agenda to be quite honest. I just don't know why you have the expectation that the purpose of a church is to help the poor and needy.

To the rich young ruler who had kept all the commandments:

Mark 10 21
"There is still one thing you haven't done," he told him. "Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Matthew 25:41-45
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me.’”

Luke 12:33
“Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.”

James 2:
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Acts 24:17 “After an absence of several years, I came to Jerusalem to bring my people gifts for the poor and to present offerings.”

Galatians 2:10“All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.”

Proverbs 21:13
“If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.”

Proverbs 28:27
“He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.”

Ezekiel 16:49
“Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.”

Deuteronomy 15:11
“There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.”

etc. etc. etc. etc.

What do you care,you mock people of faith daily,and have zero clue.

Its funny when the weak and lost minded try and convince themselves they are right.

Mark 10 21
"There is still one thing you haven't done," he told him. "Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me.’”

“Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.”

James 2:
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Acts 24:17 “After an absence of several years, I came to Jerusalem to bring my people gifts for the poor and to present offerings.”

Galatians 2:10“All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.”

“If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.”

“He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.”

“Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.”

“There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.”

etc. etc. etc. etc.

That's a lot of Bible quoting for a non-believer, but still, it is a better retort than you usually provide. I'm not a Christian, but I understand that, to the church, the Great Commission is easily Christianity's highest priority. I've never expected anything otherwise.

Its funny when the weak and lost minded try and convince themselves they are right.

I lived in the church from the time I was 22 till I was over 60. I've read the new testament at least ten times. When I was in my late 20's I could quote most of it from memory chapter and verse. The people who don't know shit are the people who never address a point I make. By the way....I tithed my gross during the whole time I was raising my three children. Two of them have masters degrees. I sometimes drew paychecks from three places while they were still in school. Don't throw your idealistic ancient bull shit fairy tale at me.....I read it.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to people helping themselves? When did the poor just lie down and passively wait for others to fill their refrigerators? I recall my father telling me all of the shit jobs he had to take before he ever found a decent job... Just to get by. My point is, he never told me how he waited for the mailman to show up on the first of the month sipping beers on the porch at 10AM. Now we have people bitching about who donates, and who does not... Disgusting display of lack of motivation, lack of self reliance, and absolutely no personal responsibility. It's like the idiots who didn't stock up on food when they knew Hurricane Sandy was coming for over a week... Oh, the Government will feed us. This Country is headed for a real eye opener when the cash well dries up.

Church of the Nazarene - Offering Resources

"The World Evangelism Fund fuels the Church of the Nazarene’s global mission. Because we can do more working together than we can alone, every church shares a portion of income for the purpose of making Christlike disciples in the nations.

The global mission of the Church of the Nazarene is a strategic undertaking. To accomplish the Great Commission—spreading the gospel and the message of holiness around the world—requires significant funding.

In “self-funded” missions, missionaries must spend valuable time raising their own financial support. They conduct services, take offerings, receive pledges of support, and pray that they are able to raise sufficient funds themselves. Sometimes, their time of service is shortened by lack of resources. Larger churches are visited by more missionaries than they could possibly help, while some smaller churches are overlooked."

Meanwhile nearly a billion people, mostly children starve and/or suffer from malnutrition. All my life I've watched churches promote every manner of fund raising on their agenda and basically ignore what their charge was from the new testament...to take care of the poor.

Personally I think you are either misinformed or insane. Considering your history here, I'm leaning more towards insane. I know that you have no clue as to the number of unpaid volunteer hours that go into Church Charities and Mission Support. If you did, we would not be having this exchange. Where would the Churches be without the likes of you persecuting them, I wonder?

I lived in the church from the time I was 22 till I was over 60. I've read the new testament at least ten times. When I was in my late 20's I could quote most of it from memory chapter and verse. The people who don't know shit are the people who never address a point I make. By the way....I tithed my gross during the whole time I was raising my three children. Two of them have masters degrees. I sometimes drew paychecks from three places while they were still in school. Don't throw your idealistic ancient bull shit fairy tale at me.....I read it.

Your Faith is between you and your Maker, my only advice there, is God first, in all things, that, and stop blaming God for what we do with free will. You want to do something about it? Make a difference, that, and try doing it without throwing stones.

Not sure what the point of this thread is, is it a way to bash people who believe in a God?

It sounds like a poorly informed person with poor communication skills. I hope he gets help.

Whatever happened to people helping themselves? When did the poor just lie down and passively wait for others to fill their refrigerators? I recall my father telling me all of the shit jobs he had to take before he ever found a decent job... Just to get by. My point is, he never told me how he waited for the mailman to show up on the first of the month sipping beers on the porch at 10AM. Now we have people bitching about who donates, and who does not... Disgusting display of lack of motivation, lack of self reliance, and absolutely no personal responsibility. It's like the idiots who didn't stock up on food when they knew Hurricane Sandy was coming for over a week... Oh, the Government will feed us. This Country is headed for a real eye opener when the cash well dries up.

It really doesn't make any difference. Nobody lives a "Christian" life. They show up for an hour and a half once a week, drop some of their money in the till and leave feeling really good about themselves. If the new testament were to be the truth......which there ain't no way.....everybody would be going to burn in hell anyway. I lived in the church for nearly forty years and I never saw one person who lived the way the new testament says one must live to get to heaven.....not a one. One of the deacons was caught having a go with his sixteen year old baby sitter.

Last edited:

well isn't that just special,like I said what do you care,other than trying to convince yourself.

You have made your choice,so have others,mocking people for their choices because of yours is kinda immature for an old goat,haven't you learned to live and let live yet??

It really doesn't make any difference. Nobody lives a "Christian" life. They show up for an hour and a half once a week, drop some of their money in the till and leave feeling really good about themselves. If the new testament were to be the truth......which there ain't no way.....everybody would be going to burn in hell anyway. I lived in the church for nearly forty years and I never saw one person who lived the way the new testament says one must live to get to heaven.....not a one. One of the deacons was caught having a go with his sixteen year old baby sitter.

simple you were in the wrong church.

Mark 10 21

James 2:

etc. etc. etc. etc.

That's a lot of Bible quoting for a non-believer, but still, it is a better retort than you usually provide. I'm not a Christian, but I understand that, to the church, the Great Commission is easily Christianity's highest priority. I've never expected anything otherwise.

The highest priority for the Christian church is to bring people to Christ rich or poor.

some churches are very good at that some are just a feel good social club sounds like you were part of one of those,to bad for your bitterness from the experience.

Not sure what the point of this thread is, is it a way to bash people who believe in a God?

It sounds like a poorly informed person with poor communication skills. I hope he gets help.

I'm 78 years old. If I need any help it sure won't be from some numb nuts who believes a 2000 year old fairy tale. I'm a Jack and the Beanstalk man myself.

Yeah Yeah....I know. You're gonna meet your ghost pal floating on a cloud, fly off to paradise to live in bliss while people who elect to not believe your fairy tale roast in a pit......sure they are...sure they will.

Last edited:

Herein lies the rub. Cammmpbell, we all are perfectly aware that you became disenchanted with Christianity because of your personal experiences. I may recognize this more readily than some because it is to some extent what happened to me. But you are so obsessive about that you seem incapable of a measured view of things. Whatever your personal life holds, you do not come across as even the least bit of a happy person. You come across as somebody that needs therapy to overcome the bitterness that consumes you.

I have my peace. I hope you find yours. I see no need to continue any dialog with you.

Herein lies the rub. Cammmpbell, we all are perfectly aware that you became disenchanted with Christianity because of your personal experiences. I may recognize this more readily than some because it is to some extent what happened to me. But you are so obsessive about that you seem incapable of a measured view of things. Whatever your personal life holds, you do not come across as even the least bit of a happy person. You come across as somebody that needs therapy to overcome the bitterness that consumes you.

I have my peace. I hope you find yours. I see no need to continue any dialog with you.

If that's what you've gleened from what I've posted here you need some reading lessons. I said from the git go that I never believed it. I read the new testament no less than ten times with concordances close by and never believed it. I used to look around the sanctuary and wonder if there were others who doubted the way I do. The brainwashing of innocent, gullible children with that ancient bull shit should be against the law.

If you think that I'll be roasting in an eternal pit because I don't believe you're going to rise from a grave, join your ghost pal floating on a cloud, fly off to paradise to live in eternal bliss you can kiss my Big Orange, Tennessee Volunteer Coon Dawg Arse!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back