Christianity In America

That's a fairly simplistic and inaccurate way to look at it.

Simplistic does not make it inaccurate. In this case, it is just not paying attention to fluff. However, please tell me how it was inaccurate.

I would say Christianity goes a step further than other teachings.

Jesus represents the central connection and embodiment of universal Justice with Mercy

for all humanity, all tribes (not just Christian based but even secular laws, even nontheists and atheists who follow natural laws).

This concept that collectively humanity can break the cycle of injustice and suffering by joining together in Christ or by conscience, in the spirit of truth and justice which God and Jesus represent, is unifying and unique at the same time. It applies to and includes all other groups, but it also acknowledges the central connection for all humanity in Christ Jesus.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/261296-did-he-really-make-a-difference.html Where is the justice? Where was the mercy? :dunno:

Same shit, different god.

Proof there is no god: The lack of a dominant religion.

Love thy neighbor, forgive those that have done me wrong.
Those 2 things taught to me because of my religious faith and have helped me.

I too am an agnostic. However, I don't think we are witnessing the end of the practice of ancient god worship. I tend to think when that truly happens we will no longer be the people we currently are. Religion is like government, an inherent factor in our societies. It need not be in any individual life, just as government need not be, but all human societies since the beginning of our history - at least above the level of small clan - has had religion as an intrinsic part of the social matrix. I see nothing which indicates to me any change in that fact. It will evolve as societies evolve, but that won't change what it is. Just how it operates.

Just watch the next 20 years! The internet is a game changer and here we are at the dawn of it. Think animal domestication and selective farming. Game changer. Monkeys with air conditioning on a roll. The goods.

Between advances in technology and growth in population levels, the World is shrinking and forcing the Monkeys to stop heading west while stripping their environment and actually learn to get along with each other. Getting along with each other means sharing the resources a little more equitably than our history is used to. Welcome Social Media and instant world-wide communications.... next stop? The Stars.

A lovely sentiment, but utterly unsupported by facts. The internet is just another form of communication in a species which has been communicating since its inception. There is no sign that this faster form of communication is having any significant impact upon our basic behavior. We aren't cooperating any more than in the past. We are not being more equitable in sharing resources. We may well reach the stars, but I have no doubt when we get there we will be bringing all of the problems with us. I doubt either of us will be alive, but if we were I'd bet you that on the first new planet we colonize, one of the first buildings to go up will be a church.

The modern American media supported left wing hypocrisy about Christianity is far more stunning than ...Christianity. Congressional sessions start with a Christian prayer while kids who dare to say a prayer in school are arrested. The ACLU threatened every freaking American small town and village with a law suit if they dare to put a Christmas tree on public property but the federal government has a celebration when they erect the National Christmas tree on federal property.

I too am an agnostic. However, I don't think we are witnessing the end of the practice of ancient god worship. I tend to think when that truly happens we will no longer be the people we currently are. Religion is like government, an inherent factor in our societies. It need not be in any individual life, just as government need not be, but all human societies since the beginning of our history - at least above the level of small clan - has had religion as an intrinsic part of the social matrix. I see nothing which indicates to me any change in that fact. It will evolve as societies evolve, but that won't change what it is. Just how it operates.

Just watch the next 20 years! The internet is a game changer and here we are at the dawn of it. Think animal domestication and selective farming. Game changer. Monkeys with air conditioning on a roll. The goods.

Between advances in technology and growth in population levels, the World is shrinking and forcing the Monkeys to stop heading west while stripping their environment and actually learn to get along with each other. Getting along with each other means sharing the resources a little more equitably than our history is used to. Welcome Social Media and instant world-wide communications.... next stop? The Stars.

A lovely sentiment, but utterly unsupported by facts. The internet is just another form of communication in a species which has been communicating since its inception. There is no sign that this faster form of communication is having any significant impact upon our basic behavior. We aren't cooperating any more than in the past. We are not being more equitable in sharing resources. We may well reach the stars, but I have no doubt when we get there we will be bringing all of the problems with us. I doubt either of us will be alive, but if we were I'd bet you that on the first new planet we colonize, one of the first buildings to go up will be a church.

Let's bet $1 and meet back here at the end of 2032 to discuss it. ;)

That's a fairly simplistic and inaccurate way to look at it.

Simplistic does not make it inaccurate. In this case, it is just not paying attention to fluff. However, please tell me how it was inaccurate.

I would say Christianity goes a step further than other teachings.
Jesus represents the central connection and embodiment of universal Justice with Mercy
for all humanity, all tribes (not just Christian based but even secular laws, even nontheists and atheists who follow natural laws).

This concept that collectively humanity can break the cycle of injustice and suffering by joining together in Christ or by conscience, in the spirit of truth and justice which God and Jesus represent, is unifying and unique at the same time. It applies to and includes all other groups, but it also acknowledges the central connection for all humanity in Christ Jesus.

You are certainly free to say that. However, I would disagree. I see absolutely nothing in Christianity which is different than any other religion. You have an organized priesthood which establishes a set of rules, which is to believed upon pain of pain. Aside from the name of the deity and minor variations in rituals and rules, you might as well be worshipping Ra.

As I said, once you remove the fluff, all religion is essentially the same. That is because there is one constant in religion.... human beings.

:eusa_angel:

Let's bet $1 and meet back here at the end of 2032 to discuss it. ;)

You're on. But I think 2032 is pretty optimistic in terms reaching another planetary system. Perhaps 2132? See you then. :eusa_angel:

The modern American media supported left wing hypocrisy about Christianity is far more stunning than ...Christianity. Congressional sessions start with a Christian prayer while kids who dare to say a prayer in school are arrested. The ACLU threatened every freaking American small town and village with a law suit if they dare to put a Christmas tree on public property but the federal government has a celebration when they erect the National Christmas tree on federal property.

Ahhh...... drama. The "modern American media supported by left wing hypocrisy". Deary me, I may get the vapors!

Very few of the so-called deeply religious people posting on this board sound remotely like the deeply religious people I went to chuch with as a young boy and man.

In fact most of the so called fundamentalist christians who post here sound more like the kind of sinners that my church warned me to avoid.

These self-proclaiming primative christians aren't remotely Christian at all. In fact, these hateful people are prideful, xenophobic and appear to be motivated mostly by self interest and venal averice.

If the same GOD that I was raised to believe in actually exists, these people aren't going to dwell in the house of the lord come judgement day.

I think most people claiming to be Christian on this board are either hypocrites, or dupes of the devil but don't know it.

I just dont understand how someone could give their life to this. I mean come on guys. His sons birthday is the same day as 4 religions pre-christianity. ALot of what it teaches is like that. You dont need christianity to be a good person. I am a good person, and I dont believe that. I have a decent head on my shoulders and my parents did as well. You dont need this man-made hogwash to make yourself feel better about yourself! Why hasnt he ever tried to contact me? I have never seen or heard him. Shouldnt he be trying to convince me? Or just have faith that i dont let logic get in the way of my beliefs?

The beauty of 'God' is that He can be whatever you need Him to be at the time. There is something inside us that separates us from the other monkeys. I call that spark Sentience and see religion as an inevitable step in the evolution life takes on the road to Sentience and the stars. Religion taught the Monkeys the benefit of working together even better than hunting did.

Beauty?

Arrogant, jealous, vendictive, violent...............that shit ain't beautiful to me. I kinda' doubt that the slaughtered Muslims during the Crusades and the tortured and murdered witches would have thought highly of him either. That doesn't even mention the Inquisitions.

I just dont understand how someone could give their life to this. I mean come on guys. His sons birthday is the same day as 4 religions pre-christianity. ALot of what it teaches is like that. You dont need christianity to be a good person. I am a good person, and I dont believe that. I have a decent head on my shoulders and my parents did as well. You dont need this man-made hogwash to make yourself feel better about yourself! Why hasnt he ever tried to contact me? I have never seen or heard him. Shouldnt he be trying to convince me? Or just have faith that i dont let logic get in the way of my beliefs?

The beauty of 'God' is that He can be whatever you need Him to be at the time. There is something inside us that separates us from the other monkeys. I call that spark Sentience and see religion as an inevitable step in the evolution life takes on the road to Sentience and the stars. Religion taught the Monkeys the benefit of working together even better than hunting did.

Beauty?

Arrogant, jealous, vendictive, violent...............that shit ain't beautiful to me. I kinda' doubt that the slaughtered Muslims during the Crusades and the tortured and murdered witches would have thought highly of him either. That doesn't even mention the Inquisitions.

God didn't do any of that. People did that. People do that kind of stuff all of the time and God is only one of the excuses used for it.

Total BS.
Kids can pray in school ALL THEY WANT AT ANY TIME.
What is not allowed is school sponsored prayer.
All 3 of my kids prayed at school and the players on all the teams would have prayers before and after every game.
The ACLU has represented more street preachers against local ordinances banning them from doing so than any other religious related case. ACLU represented Jerry Falwell in his case against The State of Virginia.

Beauty?

I find it beautiful that for you, God can be a personal punching bag and for others God can be a friend. The spark the monkeys called 'God' was and is a voice within called Sentience.
  • Follow your heart...
  • It was a 'gut feeling'. I'm glad I listened... :eek:
  • "Boy, what you need is a 30 minute conversation with yourself!"

There's both comedy and tragedy in the long externalization of that voice. It's YOUR voice, Monkey... don't let another control it via unprovable promises and fear.

[SIZE="-3"]`[/SIZE]

Beauty?

God didn't do any of that. People did that. People do that kind of stuff all of the time and God is only one of the excuses used for it.

LMAO!!!!

Gawd works in mysterious ways. What you're saying is that it happened and he doesn't give a damn.....some god. Like George Carlin said, "An Intern With A Bad Attitude Could Have Done A Better Job!"

Last edited:
Beauty?

LMAO!!!!

Gawd works in mysterious ways. What you're saying is that it happened and he doesn't give a damn.....some god. Like George Carlin said, "An Intern With A Bad Attitude Could Have Done A Better Job!"

You may be laughing. What I find amusing is people who want to blame problems on a being they claim they don't believe exists. You might as well be angry with Santa Claus for not getting the presents you wanted.

LMAO!!!!

You may be laughing. What I find amusing is people who want to blame problems on a being they claim they don't believe exists. You might as well be angry with Santa Claus for not getting the presents you wanted.

I don't believe any part of the ancient babblings. I was merely stating the obvious.

LMAO!!!!

I don't believe any part of the ancient babblings. I was merely stating the obvious.

For an atheist, you seem to have more interest in religion than most.

More than likely because I was brainwashed as a child and lived the church way until I was over sixty years old. I won't quit until that shit is on the way out. I love the Internet. It will put the marker on the tombstone of ancient god worship.

I'm agnostic.......I don't know and you don't either. All religion was established because mankind cannot accept his mortality. He somehow sees himself as immortal. He's one of millions of species which has lungs, brain, heart, bowel, bladder, etc. has to take on nutrition and extrude waste each day in very simillar fashion and wiped on his hands till the Asians invented paper along about 100BC. Even then average humans had no access to it so the masses contimued to clean themselves on their hands for centuries. Anyone who fails to see the almost exact replication of life among species is either very naive or has blocked the facts from their mind.

More than likely because I was brainwashed as a child and lived the church way until I was over sixty years old. I won't quit until that shit is on the way out. I love the Internet. It will put the marker on the tombstone of ancient god worship.

I'm agnostic.......I don't know and you don't either. All religion was established because mankind cannot accept his mortality. He somehow sees himself as immortal. He's one of millions of species which has lungs, brain, heart, bowel, bladder, etc. has to take on nutrition and extrude waste each day in very simillar fashion and wiped on his hands till the Asians invented paper along about 100BC. Even then average humans had no access to it so the masses contimued to clean themselves on their hands for centuries. Anyone who fails to see the almost exact replication of life among species is either very naive or has blocked the facts from their mind.

Okay then, for an agnostic, you look and quack like an atheist. Not that I care, just that your deep unresolved personal issues with religion are pretty transparent.

You are certainly free to say that. However, I would disagree. I see absolutely nothing in Christianity which is different than any other religion. You have an organized priesthood which establishes a set of rules, which is to believed upon pain of pain. Aside from the name of the deity and minor variations in rituals and rules, you might as well be worshipping Ra.

As I said, once you remove the fluff, all religion is essentially the same. That is because there is one constant in religion.... human beings.

1. If you are talking about the external physical institutions and cultural practices, you would be right that these are for social organization like any other group.

2. However, if you read books like "Glimpses of the Devil" by Scott Peck or "Healing" by Francis MacNutt, you might understand how Christian healing prayer, for forgiveness of emotional, mental and spiritual blocks, has helped people to heal their minds and bodies of things that medicine could not achieve alone.

So by replicating the methods and studies in these books, you could see how it is true that praying in agreement and authority of Christ Jesus is able to influence factors that no other approach can do by itself. Even the practictioners I have heard of using Buddhist past life karma to trace the causes of people's mental issues still use Christian prayer to heal these conditions once they are identified.

I have not heard of other ways of curing demonic voices and obsessions permanently except for Christian methods of deliverance and exorcism. The medications can placate or dull down the symptoms but can't remove them or the cause. And the other methods of trying to use wicca or sorcery to will away the effects of negative spiritual factors tend to make these worse by adding to the manipulation of the affected person's mind instead of curing and freeing them of the negative conditions on their mental health and relations with others.

See also Dr. Phillip Goldfedder's website Healing Is Yours
where he found spiritual therapy to be superior and more cost-effective than his
neurosurgeon profession that he put aside to help more people full time by these methods.

When nothing else works, as with the schizophrenic patients that Dr. Peck treated and documented as the basis of his book, the prayer process for spiritual forgiveness and healing has been able to save people's minds and lives from conditions they had no control over, where some patients were too sick mentally to even administer treatment until AFTER they underwent the exorcism and deliverance process to identify and remove the causes.

I agree with Dr. Peck, who advocated for other psychiatric and medical professionals to take this field seriously, and pursue formal research and development in order to cure people.

Forum List

Back