Chinese citizens sue Florida over law barring them from owning houses

K, so if Floridian investors can't buy land in China, Chinese investors shouldn't be able to buy land in Florida. If China changes, Florida changes.
not even then,,,
no commercial property should ever be owned by a non american,, a person can own one residential property for personal habitation and thats it,,

I am personally fine with restricting foreign ownership of US land, at least residential or agriculture/forest lands, but I think Governor D trying to out Trump Trump isn't going to serve him well as the primaries move along.

I am personally fine with restricting foreign ownership of US land, at least residential or agriculture/forest lands, but I think Governor D trying to out Trump Trump isn't going to serve him well as the primaries move along.
why does everything have to have trump in it??

K, so if Floridian investors can't buy land in China, Chinese investors shouldn't be able to buy land in Florida. If China changes, Florida changes.
In a capitalist nation one seeks to make transactions for profit, denying anyone the ability to consume is only defeating capitalism.

Hmmm..this seems a bit much--but I bet some folks here are all in favor eh?

A group of Chinese citizens who live and work in Florida are suing the state over a new property law that threatens to restrict some people from China and a handful of other countries from purchasing homes and land in the state.
The plaintiffs allege that the law, SB 264, is discriminatory and that it stokes racial biases against Chinese Americans and undermines their financial freedom. Gov. Ron DeSantis signed it into law and it is set to go into effect on July 1.
It bars Chinese citizens who are not United States citizens from purchasing homes in Florida, with few exceptions. It imposes similar but less stringent restrictions on citizens of Cuba, Venezuela, Syria, Iran, Russia and North Korea.
DeSantis, who is expected to announce a bid for president soon, has said the law will protect Florida from China’s Communist Party, a common target for Republicans.
The ACLU, the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund and a Florida law firm, which are all representing the plaintiffs, say that the law would cast “an undue burden of suspicion” on anyone trying to buy a house as long as their “name sounds remotely Asian.”
“This misguided rationale unfairly equates Chinese people with the actions of their government, and there is no evidence of national security harm resulting from real estate ownership by Chinese people in Florida,” the ACLU said in a news release.
Florida would rather sell houses to Russians.

Hey, China...

1684811099316.png

('Middle Finger' in China)

Yanno...................if a citizen from China wants to buy a house for their own personal use here in the US, I'm all for letting them do so. BUT, only 1 house per person, and only for residential use.

If they are a Chinese business? No. If they want to use the land, then let them pay rent. American land should be used for American business and American citizens.

If the Chinese citizen decides to become an American citizen and can meet all the requirements for citizenship and gets naturalized? Not a problem. They are now American citizens and afforded the rights and privileges of being an American citizen.

As far as the people filing the lawsuits calling it "unconstitutional" that they can't buy land while they are Chinese citizens? No. That is NOT "unconstitutional". The rights and privileges afforded people under the U.S. Constitution are for U.S. citizens only, not foreign nationals.

I'm probably gonna get yelled at by some on the left on this board who think I'm a "leftist", but so be it. I'm not a leftist, nor am I a conservative. I'm an independent. And, based on what I learned every year in Navy Rights and Responsibilities during the 20 that I served in the military, we discussed many Constitutional things at great length. My personal opinion is that the Constitution was written for American citizens, not citizens from other countries.

If you want to be protected by the Constitution, become an American citizen. It's as simple as that.

Hmmm..this seems a bit much--but I bet some folks here are all in favor eh?

A group of Chinese citizens who live and work in Florida are suing the state over a new property law that threatens to restrict some people from China and a handful of other countries from purchasing homes and land in the state.
The plaintiffs allege that the law, SB 264, is discriminatory and that it stokes racial biases against Chinese Americans and undermines their financial freedom. Gov. Ron DeSantis signed it into law and it is set to go into effect on July 1.
It bars Chinese citizens who are not United States citizens from purchasing homes in Florida, with few exceptions. It imposes similar but less stringent restrictions on citizens of Cuba, Venezuela, Syria, Iran, Russia and North Korea.
DeSantis, who is expected to announce a bid for president soon, has said the law will protect Florida from China’s Communist Party, a common target for Republicans.
The ACLU, the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund and a Florida law firm, which are all representing the plaintiffs, say that the law would cast “an undue burden of suspicion” on anyone trying to buy a house as long as their “name sounds remotely Asian.”
“This misguided rationale unfairly equates Chinese people with the actions of their government, and there is no evidence of national security harm resulting from real estate ownership by Chinese people in Florida,” the ACLU said in a news release.
Who cares if they have a place to live? Do not want China controlling farm land though.

As far as the people filing the lawsuits calling it "unconstitutional" that they can't buy land while they are Chinese citizens? No. That is NOT "unconstitutional". The rights and privileges afforded people under the U.S. Constitution are for U.S. citizens only, not foreign nationals.

This is not really true. The Constitution applies to anyone on US soil except for the parts that clearly state citizenship is required. Foreign nationals living in the US are afforded the same 1st amendment rights as the citizens. Foreign nationals living in the US are allowed to buy guns under the 2nd. The same goes for most of what is in the Constitution.

Do you think that the police do not have to follow the 4th, 5th and 6th amendments when dealing with Foreign nationals living in the US?

This is not really true. The Constitution applies to anyone on US soil except for the parts that clearly state citizenship is required. Foreign nationals living in the US are afforded the same 1st amendment rights as the citizens. Foreign nationals living in the US are allowed to buy guns under the 2nd. The same goes for most of what is in the Constitution.

Do you think that the police do not have to follow the 4th, 5th and 6th amendments when dealing with Foreign nationals living in the US?
the 2nd A says "the people",, the first three words of the constitution says who "the people" are and foreign nationals aint them,,

Hate to say it Gator, but on this subject, I may be more in align with many of the conservatives. There are lots of things in the Constitution that make this a great place to live, but I also think that the protections and rights afforded a person under the US Constitution should only be afforded to people who are US citizens.

Granted, that could make things a bit sticky, especially when it comes to dealing with people who aren't US citizens, but other countries differentiate between citizens of their country and foreign nationals when it comes to their constitution or rights of citizens, so that should also be true here.

And yeah, both sides are gonna attack me for this, but when it comes to the 2nd Amendment, those rights and privileges should only apply to US citizens. I'm not overly fond of allowing non US citizens the ability to buy and have firearms.

Same with the 1st Amendment. Not really fond of allowing non US citizens the right of free speech. Makes it too easy for foreign nationals to act in the interests of their own country to promote a foreign agenda which could be in direct opposition to this country.

Yes, the potentials for abuse towards people who aren't US citizens increases significantly when they aren't afforded the protections of the Constitution, but, hey..............if they want those protections, they should become citizens.

But..............with all that being said, I think that we should be a bit more flexible and welcoming when it comes to awarding US citizenship to people in this country who came here from other places. My Grandfather came here from Norway back in the late 30's/early 40's, and it was fairly easy for him to become a citizen. He even volunteered to fight for the US in WWII. My personal opinion? If a person comes here from another country, enlists in our military and serves a full term honorably, they should be allowed to become citizens if they want to, as they have shown their allegiance and willingness to sacrifice for this country. For people who decide not to serve in our military, the timeframe should be a bit longer (maybe 10 years max), and they need to show they are interested in contributing to this country by not becoming involved in criminal activities during that time and actively trying to work, but it should still be fairly simple if they choose to become citizens, not like the current system where it is fairly difficult (and expensive) to attain US citizenship.

Hate to say it Gator, but on this subject, I may be more in align with many of the conservatives.

I do not think it is very conservative like at all to think that the the Constitution only applies to citizens. Just the opposite in fact in my opinion.

Granted, that could make things a bit sticky, especially when it comes to dealing with people who aren't US citizens, but other countries differentiate between citizens of their country and foreign nationals when it comes to their constitution or rights of citizens, so that should also be true here.

I think you will find that most countries constitutions cover legal resident aliens as well.

If we went you route nobody but citizens would be afforded a fair trial, not to be abused by the police and a great many other things.

That does not really sound like a free country.

Hate to say it Gator, but on this subject, I may be more in align with many of the conservatives. There are lots of things in the Constitution that make this a great place to live, but I also think that the protections and rights afforded a person under the US Constitution should only be afforded to people who are US citizens.

And yeah, both sides are gonna attack me for this, but when it comes to the 2nd Amendment, those rights and privileges should only apply to US citizens. I'm not overly fond of allowing non US citizens the ability to buy and have firearms.

Same with the 1st Amendment. Not really fond of allowing non US citizens the right of free speech. Makes it too easy for foreign nationals to act in the interests of their own country to promote a foreign agenda which could be in direct opposition to this country.

Yes, the potentials for abuse towards people who aren't US citizens increases significantly when they aren't afforded the protections of the Constitution, but, hey..............if they want those protections, they should become citizens.

But..............with all that being said, I think that we should be a bit more flexible and welcoming when it comes to awarding US citizenship to people in this country who came here from other places. My Grandfather came here from Norway back in the late 30's/early 40's, and it was fairly easy for him to become a citizen. He even volunteered to fight for the US in WWII. My personal opinion? If a person comes here from another country, enlists in our military and serves a full term honorably, they should be allowed to become citizens if they want to, as they have shown their allegiance and willingness to sacrifice for this country. For people who decide not to serve in our military, the timeframe should be a bit longer (maybe 10 years max), and they need to show they are interested in contributing to this country by not becoming involved in criminal activities during that time and actively trying to work, but it should still be fairly simple if they choose to become citizens, not like the current system where it is fairly difficult (and expensive) to attain US citizenship.
if you read the Bill of rights, not all rights are for everyone,, the 2nd A is specific to the people of the US and others like due process say any person,,

the founders did a great job,,

nothing in it gives foreign nationals a right to own property,,

also they sign a contract when entering the country that I am sure has restrictions and conditions,,

I do not think it is very conservative like at all to think that the the Constitution only applies to citizens. Just the opposite in fact in my opinion.

I think you will find that most countries constitutions cover legal resident aliens as well.

If we went you route nobody but citizens would be afforded a fair trial, not to be abused by the police and a great many other things.

That does not really sound like a free country.
the 2nd A only applies to the people of the US not foreign nationals,,

True.

Undocumented immigrants are entitled to Fifth and 14th Amendment right to due process.

Like I've said before..................if you want to buy a home and live there, that should be allowed, but only 1 house per family. If you are a business or corporation, you SHOULD NOT be allowed to buy up massive amounts of property. A business should be allowed to rent the property and conduct commerce, but they should not be allowed to own it outright.

Forum List

Back