China plans asteroid base for interstellar travel and mining

It was Obama who killed the Orion Program, the last manned space program the US will have for the next 30 years.

NASA is now officially a branch of PETA.
You know how they got Trump supporters on board with space travel?

1. Say China is doing it.

2. Hint that our government acknowledges UFO's exist. So Trump nuts believe there are aliens among us. And not South American ones.

I don't care how we get you on board, we must do this. I'm watching How the Universe Works. They are discussing how we would have to build a space ship this massive in space.

And we must. This planet will be hit one day with a life ending comet or meteor. So we need a plan B. Actually, we need a plan B-Z. Send 25 of these arks into interstellar space. Each pointed in a different direction towards a nearby star that looks promising. Of course they will one day get hit too. So we must constantly be on space ships in outer space. Clones will do the heavy lifting.

To have a job is a good thing on this ship. No capitalism. Not until we reach the next planet. Then maybe we can do better than capitalism?

10% the speed of light we can get to alpha centauri in 40 years. We can do that!

Actually, send arks out in 3's. That way if something happens to one the other two can rescue them.

Do you watch the show on Scifi called the Ark? It's great. It's like Star Trek only they aren't flying from one star to the next at warp speed. They woke up a year too early and all the top people on the ship got killed in an accident. So the 2nd stringers have to figure everything out. Pretty good.

It was Obama who killed the Orion Program, the last manned space program the US will have for the next 30 years.

NASA is now officially a branch of PETA.

Here's something I know Republicans won't be on board with. Cloning. Gene modification. Stem cell research.

To live out in space for long periods of time we are going to need to mix our dna/genes with tardigrades. They can survive space and heal quicker and adapt to whatever new planets we find because none of them are going to be exactly like earth. Tardigrades can adapt so we need to do this too.

I don't care how we get you on board, we must do this

Why must we do this?

You claim we need to do it to save us all from some asteroid. But, the last extinction level asteroid strike was 66 million years ago. The next one could be next week, in which case we don't have time, or in another 66 million years, in which case there would seem to be no rush. Given that all of human evolution occurred in the last 2 million years, and all of human society developed in the last 10,000 years, we can change a lot in a few thousand years.

And if we went out there, where would be go? None of the other planets in our solar system is capable of supporting human life. Even on the most hospitable planet in our local solar system, Mars, humans would be forced to live underground to avoid the harsh environment and radiation. And, guess what, it turns out the Mars is exactly as statistically likely to be struck by an asteroid as Earth.

What if we went further? We have discovered thousands of "earth-like" exoplanets, not a single one capable of supporting even a small human colony. They either have much greater, or much smaller gravity than Earth. They would be much colder or hotter than our present home. Most will not have protective magnetic field that keeps us safe from the worst effects of solar radiation. The closest "earth-like" planet to us, Proxima Centauri B, at 4.2 ly from earth, exists in an unstable trinary star system where it is locked to the red-dwarf star Proxima Centauri. We know next to nothing about it, but we do know it exists in an eccentric orbit (with an 11 DAY year). It is very likely to be tidal locked to its star, as is our own Mercury which would cause extremes of temperature changes.

There is no logical reason for man to reach out into space at this time in our evolution. There may never be one.

Why must you force your sick religion down everyones throats? Why do you want to ban LBGT people. Why must we shit on peoples lives???

There is no reason to believe that humans expansion into space will lead to an age of universal enlightenment, peace, and prosperity.

Everything we have with us here, we will bring out there. We will continue to have the same human traits, both good and bad, that we have here.

Space is dark, cold, inhospitable, and not an environment for creatures who spent billions of years evolving to live specifically on THIS planet.

There are no hot alien babes with bumps on their head waiting on pleasure planets for us to discover.

Susan_Oliver_as_Vina_as_an_Orion_slave_girl.jpg

Why must we do this?

You claim we need to do it to save us all from some asteroid. But, the last extinction level asteroid strike was 66 million years ago. The next one could be next week, in which case we don't have time, or in another 66 million years, in which case there would seem to be no rush. Given that all of human evolution occurred in the last 2 million years, and all of human society developed in the last 10,000 years, we can change a lot in a few thousand years.

And if we went out there, where would be go? None of the other planets in our solar system is capable of supporting human life. Even on the most hospitable planet in our local solar system, Mars, humans would be forced to live underground to avoid the harsh environment and radiation. And, guess what, it turns out the Mars is exactly as statistically likely to be struck by an asteroid as Earth.

What if we went further? We have discovered thousands of "earth-like" exoplanets, not a single one capable of supporting even a small human colony. They either have much greater, or much smaller gravity than Earth. They would be much colder or hotter than our present home. Most will not have protective magnetic field that keeps us safe from the worst effects of solar radiation. The closest "earth-like" planet to us, Proxima Centauri B, at 4.2 ly from earth, exists in an unstable trinary star system where it is locked to the red-dwarf star Proxima Centauri. We know next to nothing about it, but we do know it exists in an eccentric orbit (with an 11 DAY year). It is very likely to be tidal locked to its star, as is our own Mercury which would cause extremes of temperature changes.

There is no logical reason for man to reach out into space at this time in our evolution. There may never be one.

We don't know that there aren't planets like ours circling other stars. We don't even know if there is a planet 9 out past Pluto. We think there is but can't find it. So we don't even know what's in our back yard.

Let's say we are circling another sun and we are looking at our solar system. What do we see? Chances are we see Jupiter and Saturn but certainly not earth.

planets_iau.jpg

I didn't say save us all. We will all be dead. The only ones who will live are the people we send. There is no saving us all. Does that matter to you? Not me. I want to save humanity for as long as I can. It may not be my life but I care about life continuing long after I'm gone. And it's not even for my nephews. Even if I had ZERO relatives I would want to know mankind is going to last long after this earth stops being good for life. Which will happen.

If we are too late, so what? May as well work on trying and not just give up.

If we have billions of years to do this, you don't know that. Planet 9 could send a comet or meteor that will wipe us out. We don't know when. Hey, maybe if we master space we can have AI manned ships flying around our planet that can go take out these meteors/comets before they hit us. So mastering space could also save the planet.

Did you see where I wrote we may have to modify our genes to do this? We might have to mix our DNA with Tardigrade's.

Some guy said something cool. All the things we discovered a few years ago we did it before we had technology like cellphones. Look at how much more technilogically advanced we are. Now we're talking AI. And I believe we are sending up 3 telescopes into space and spacing them out millions of miles from each other so we can get a better look. The look we have no is very primative.

You act like we're an advanced civilization. I feel like we are only 3 steps out of the cave.

Your last comment is insane. We know this earth has an expiration date. So for you to say
there may never be a logical reason for man to reach out into space is only true if you are okay with the human race going extinct with this planet.

I agree this is our best spaceship and we should try to make it last as long as possible.

OMG, I just realized something. With your attitude about this, by any chance are you a man made climate change denier? Because I bet you feel the same way about going green.
I bet you think there is no logical reason for man to go green too right?

Why must you force your sick religion down everyones throats? Why do you want to ban LBGT people. Why must we shit on peoples lives???

Actually, on a spaceship going to other stars seating is limited and meat is rare. We need breeders not eaters. So when a young boy grows up and in April says he thinks he's a girl, they fatten they up but don't tell them. Tell them it's part of the process to morph them into a woman. But all you are doing is fattening them up the Thanksgiving feast.

There is no reason to believe that humans expansion into space will lead to an age of universal enlightenment, peace, and prosperity.

Everything we have with us here, we will bring out there. We will continue to have the same human traits, both good and bad, that we have here.

Space is dark, cold, inhospitable, and not an environment for creatures who spent billions of years evolving to live specifically on THIS planet.

There are no hot alien babes with bumps on their head waiting on pleasure planets for us to discover.

View attachment 780646

Are you saying on this space ship when the half black half white crew wake up they are going to segregate?

images

We don't know that there aren't planets like ours circling other stars. We don't even know if there is a planet 9 out past Pluto.

We have currently found over 4,000 exoplanets and not a single one could support a human colony in anything resembling earth-like conditions.

Any planet in our own solar system we might discover further out from the known planets, and the chances of doing that are very slim as we would be able to detect perturbations in outer planets caused by unseen planetary bodies, would be an uninhabitable ball of ice so far out of the habitable zone between Venus and Mars.

Are you saying on this space ship when the half black half white crew wake up they are going to segregate?

images

Um ...

A) No, I said nothing closely resembling that and

B) No one will have to wake up because the technology to freeze or deep sleep people for any extended period of time only exists in sci-fi as a way to advance the narrative.

We have currently found over 4,000 exoplanets and not a single one could support a human colony in anything resembling earth-like conditions.

Any planet in our own solar system we might discover further out from the known planets, and the chances of doing that are very slim as we would be able to detect perturbations in outer planets caused by unseen planetary bodies, would be an uninhabitable ball of ice so far out of the habitable zone between Venus and Mars.
Scientists disagree with you and continue to look for whatever is causing the anomaly. Could be a dwarf star.

Um ...

A) No, I said nothing closely resembling that and

B) No one will have to wake up because the technology to freeze or deep sleep people for any extended period of time only exists in sci-fi as a way to advance the narrative.
You are pretty much a primitive ape. We are just starting to figure that stuff out.

20 years ago you would have said a smart phone was impossible.

In 1970 after we went to the moon we didn’t even know what to do with dna. Imagine what we will be able to do with dna in 52 years.

Stem cell research

Forum List

Back