Children and Alcohol

It's going to cause trouble if you kids get into trouble drunk on the alcohol you gave them.

Otherwise? Not likely.

I think that the official line doesn't much matter and that families are going to practice what they think works for them.

When I was young (from the age of 5 or 6) my parents would allow me to have a small glass of wine with dinner on special occasions. Of course at that age I didn't like the taste of red wine, and most white wine wasn't really that nice either. The only one I actually thought was OK was medium dry German wine (Liebfraumilch - which as an adult I of course hate).

I've taken the same view with my children since they were pretty much the same age. I understand the need to protect children from some parents who would let their kids do what they want, but it's a pain when all of society has to be so heavily restricted due to a few parents who can't behave responsibly.

When I was young (from the age of 5 or 6) my parents would allow me to have a small glass of wine with dinner on special occasions. Of course at that age I didn't like the taste of red wine, and most white wine wasn't really that nice either. The only one I actually thought was OK was medium dry German wine (Liebfraumilch - which as an adult I of course hate).

I've taken the same view with my children since they were pretty much the same age. I understand the need to protect children from some parents who would let their kids do what they want, but it's a pain when all of society has to be so heavily restricted due to a few parents who can't behave responsibly.

The broad strokes our culture paints with now are vile, and rather stupid.

My teen years were in the 70's, believe me the majority of Teens were looking to get drunk or high in some manner. My daughter had her Teen years just recently and it was true from what I saw then too. My Sisters kids fall in between the two and they too sure seemed intent on getting high or drunk as often as they could manage it and not get caught.

It got easier to lay your hands on illegal substances and alcohol as time passed not harder.

My kids are too high on reality to want to drink. Last night I opened a bottle of Champagne and my daughter hated it. My son had a small glass after I told him that it had to be tossed out if it wasn't drank, and he left his glass half full.

Your experience isn't the only experience, Amanda. Thinking the whole world did what you did is a pretty common mistake.

No, really?

I agreed with RetiredGySgt (who I'm guessing is probably over 40, FWIW) and I shared my experience, nothing more, nothing less. I never said it was the only way. You should maybe just stick to responding to what I've actually said instead of deciding what you want it to mean and responding to that. I don't know what I've done to ruffle your feathers but coming at me all sideways over non-statements is just making you look foolish. If you want to look clever in comparison to me it shouldn't be too hard I'm not that bright, but you're going about it all wrong with this approach.

When I lived in Europe, things were different. On special occasions, I would allow my children to have a small glass of wine or champagne with a meal (Christmas, or birthdays - that sort of thing).

Now in America, I have a feeling that if I continue to try and educate my children about alcohol, it's going to cause trouble.

What;s the official line on kids and alcohol in the US., and do you agree with it? :confused:

Very true Tigerbob ..........

The European experience is much different from ours in regard to alcohol and sexuality.

I was brought up in a very American home, yet, my parents included European life styles with it as well. So wine with dinner was not a special thing, it was the norm. However, getting sloppy drunk was the rare event.

Sexuality is looked at very casually as well. With topless or nude beaches being common place. With our longtime family home being on an island in the Aegean while I was growing up it was never an issue with me. In fact, when I got into my preteens and the guys at school made fantasy jokes about the girls breasts, I didn't see the big deal. lol

Drinking was the same way. I would often have a very small glass of wine with diner from about 8 years old on. We had an old Italian couple who lived behind us and often times it was wine which they made.

Our eating habits in general were also very different. We had three full meals per day and took the time to enjoy them. We didn't snack much and when we did it was on fruits and such.

The biggest thing I took with me from that time was moderation. Leaning to live life in moderation, meals, drinking, down time and so on.

I wasn't as successful raising my children without the snack foods, but, in all of the other areas my wife and I stayed pretty traditional European with them. Our two oldest are 26 and 24 years old and to this day if they are out and feel they have had a little too much to drink, they will phone us to get a ride home, if they are not confident that a sober person is not available. And they have learned to keep enjoyment like that at moderation, enjoying those times, but, not letting them get in the way of life.

I was in a beer hall in Munich, Germany and saw more than a few kids drinking beer. I wonder what the stats say about alcoholism in that culture?

I was in a beer hall in Munich, Germany and saw more than a few kids drinking beer. I wonder what the stats say about alcoholism in that culture?

That's a good question. I can only speak for our family both here and overseas which is a very large family, it is rare. Thinking back I can only think of one family member who let something like that effect their lives in a negative fashion. Most are limited to one or two glasses of wine with meals and then very limited social drinking. Further, when out socially they don't seem to let themselves get out of control. The goal is to enjoy themselves, have fun, dance, joke, laugh. not slur, stumble and not be able to function the next day.

This is just my experience.

We should take driving into consideration as well.
The US is completely backwards when it comes to minors and alcohol.

We give them a drivers license at age 16, then all of the sudden let them drink at age 21. They have no idea how alcohol affects them.

What we should do, is let them start drinking at about age 14 or 15, so that way they learn how alcohol affects them, then let them get a drivers license at about age 18-19.

When I lived in Europe, things were different. On special occasions, I would allow my children to have a small glass of wine or champagne with a meal (Christmas, or birthdays - that sort of thing).

Now in America, I have a feeling that if I continue to try and educate my children about alcohol, it's going to cause trouble.

What;s the official line on kids and alcohol in the US., and do you agree with it? :confused:

I let them take a a little bong hit..gets the munchies going for a big christmas dinner.....JUST KIDDING,,,,,,,,maybe

Forum List

Back