Child Endangerment Laws Are A War On Women

Is Political-Correctness Getting Out Of Hand In America?

• Total voters

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
Mom Arrested for Letting Kid Play in Lego Store While She Shopped
Lenore Skenazy|Aug. 6, 2014 12:31 pm

Do you remember going to the store as a kid? It was time on your own. It was a thrill.

Now, it's a crime.

Yesterday afternoon, a mom in Long Island, New York, was arrested for leaving her 7-year-old at the Roosevelt Field Mall LEGO Store for an hour and 20 minutes while she shopped elsewhere in the mall. According to Patch.com:

A store manger at the Lego Store became concerned for the well being of the unsupervised child and contacted mall security, who then called 911, police said.
The child was left unattended in the store for about an hour and 20 minutes, police said. When Patricia Juarez returned to the store, she arrested without incident at about 5:30 p.m., police said.
The story mentions that the the mother, Patricia Juarez, was also charged with petty larceny stemming from a previous warrant. Larceny is a real crime, of course. Letting your kid play by himself in the LEGO Store is not. I would really love the police to explain how endangered this child actually was, in a public place, surrounded by employees, shoppers, and security (and LEGO superheroes!).

Nonetheless, in a country that arrests parents for taking their eyes off their kids anytime before they're legally old enough to join the Army, Juarez is now considered a criminal.

Her child was released to a relative, which makes me wonder whether the mom is in jail or simply not allowed contact with her son, since she is obviously a depraved monster who left her kid in an alligator swamp with meatballs in his pockets (or the suburban equivalent).

Mom Arrested for Watching Children Play
September 16, 2012 Kristen Watts No comments
Ever heard of someone being arrested for watching their children play? This case is absolutely absurd! A La Porte, Texas mom was arrested while sitting in her lawn chair in her front yard watching her 6 and 9 year old play on motorized scooters in their quiet suburban cul de sac.

In her complaint, Cooper says she lives on a “quiet, suburban cul de sac” and “often allows her 6- and 9-year-old children to ride their scooters on the street while she watches from a chair in the driveway or through the large windows on the front of her house.”

Apparently a disgruntled neighbor (one Shelley Fullerare of La Porte, TX) alleged that she had hit one of the children with her car because their mother “abandoned” them. Wow, what a news flash! Sometimes people lie to the police! This false accusation started a snowball effect that ended in Cooper’s arrest.

Her children were separated from her and interrogated by child abuse investigators. CPS found no cause for concern regarding the well being of Cooper’s children and dropped the investigation.”

Are police now allowed to arrest people for things that are not against the law? Is there a law in that city that says that children can not play in the road? These are questions that need further investigation.

Apparently the policeman pulled up and informed the mom that he was there to arrest her. Then he proceeded to handcuff her hands so tightly behind her back that the handcuffs cut into her skin (from her statement). That was probably due to the fact that she asked the officer if he could cuff her in front because she has a pre-existing shoulder, back and neck condition that makes putting her hands behind her back extremely painful.

Naturally the city, the unnamed police officer and the nosy neighbor who should have been minding her own business being sued by Cooper. Apparently the damages include 18 hours in police custody, and aggravated health condition that may require surgery now, and $7,000 in legal fees all for no good reason.

This case isn’t as bad as the wrong door invasion that I recently wrote about where the police shot the family dog in front of the children, handcuffed the kids next to the dead dog for an hour while ransacking the house and wouldn’t give one of the children access to her medication, all even after they knew they were in the wrong house. But it’s still bad enough. Why do the masses sit quietly by and do nothing as we see these types of issues increase?

Police definitely need to be held accountable for these types of abuses. There simply isn’t an excuse for arresting law-abiding citizens for no good reason.

Tammy Cooper Texas Mom Arrested For Letting Kids Play Outside Unsupervised VIDEO

Mom Arrested for Watching Children Play The Daily Unconstitutional

So, Lego stores became a day care center? That's like asking for a lawsuit.

The second story is a whine fest. It was unsubstantiated and dropped.

Well, NO, my mom and dad or just mom, NEVER dropped me off at a toy store and leave to run other errands, NEVER....and that was 40 years ago, when it was safer than it is now.

As far as being arrested for it, that is utterly ridiculous imo.... a lecture, a warning, for the mother...sure...but being arrested? I don't think so....

Neither of the examples cited in the OP involve political correctness. Rather they're examples of the infantilization of children (and often enough adults) we have in this country. Whereas other developed nations regard children as able-bodied adults in most repsects by the teens, we treat our's like helpless babies well into 'adulthood.' Generally, we claim adulthood begins around age 18, when "children" finish school. Yet there's ample evidence this is a completely hypocritical and arbitrary age. In some states, you can marry as young as 15, drive a car on freeways at 16, become gainfully employed and pay taxes to the state at 16, etc. Yet you can't vote for the politicians raising or lowering your taxes for two years? Can be charged as an adult for certain crimes as young as 13, yet have to be older to enjoy certain adult priviledges and rights?

What is or isn't "adult" is so haphazard and arbitrary a complete dissolution and revamping of the numerous age-related laws should be carried out.

Ya, well, the problem is that the authors of the two articles utilized faux outrage and posed the issues between two extremes. Thus insuring that the outright silliness of their propaganda is ignored and no change occurs.

No worries, just means that there is one more thing that doesn't get accomplished. :doubt:

Since when did it become "PC" to expect parents to take care of their own kids?

I've written before that I had two bookstores in Denver. Parents would bring their kids to their children's section and leave them there while they shopped.

Its bad enough that they would destroy the merchandise and that my store was expected to babysit. What's far worse is that its dangerous for the child.

The things you RWs whine about -- sheesh.

Since when did it become "PC" to expect parents to take care of their own kids?

I've written before that I had two bookstores in Denver. Parents would bring their kids to their children's section and leave them there while they shopped.

Its bad enough that they would destroy the merchandise and that my store was expected to babysit. What's far worse is that its dangerous for the child.

The things you RWs whine about -- sheesh.
Sounds like you're the one that's whining.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back