Us Troops Heading Into Africa Soon For Ebola Fight

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
US Troops Heading into Africa Soon for Ebola Fight

WASHINGTON (AP) — Thousands of promised American forces will be moving into Africa over the next 30 days to set up facilities and form training teams to help the Africans treat Ebola victims, the Army's top officer said Friday.

Gen. Ray Odierno, the Army chief of staff, said the disease has accelerated faster than initially thought, so the U.S. needs to get people on the ground and ramp up numbers quickly. President Barack Obama has pledged 3,000 troops, and the U.S. military commander and a small team has arrived in Liberia to do initial assessments.

Before troops are sent in, Odierno says, the Army needs to make sure they are prepared to operate in that environment, which includes health care safety. The military units expected to deploy have not been identified.

Maj. Gen. Darryl Williams, the U.S. Army-Africa commander, arrived in Monrovia on Wednesday with a 12-person assessment team, said Rear Adm. John Kirby, the Pentagon's press secretary. They are conducting site surveys and other planning needed to construct treatment facilities there.

Kirby added that some equipment has already arrived, including a forklift and generator, and two more aircraft are expected this weekend with 45 more military troops.

The Defense Department has requested up to $1 billion for Ebola response efforts.

US troops heading into Africa soon for Ebola fight - Yahoo News

Military troops should not be used for this operation. Volunteers should be used from WHO.

EBOLA has no cure.

It has a mortality rate of 51% even under treatment.

Trained medical professionals have been dying at the same rate when exposed.

In Liberia where the troops are headed, the virus is exploding.

Over 2500 have died as a result of the virus.

WHO is expecting the virus to rapidly increase to 20,000 with the virus.

Our troops are most definitely going into GROUND ZERO of a killer virus...........The end result of how many of our people may get the virus while there is unknown..........

This is a Catch 22 issue. Damned if we do and damned if we don't. The world can't allow a killer disease to go unchecked, but risk infection and spread by going there. Only seasoned trained personnel should be in close combat with this disease.......Our people will be in close contact with people there, and in the initial phases of the disease these people may have the virus and simply not know it yet exposing our troops........Hopefully the Commanders on the ground have their shit together on this one.

Sending U.S. soldiers to fight ebola is beyond idiotic. ...... :cool:

The people elected an Idiot into office twice........The idiot is a joke on foreign policy. Hopefully we will not be reading about our people dying of Ebola in the near future............Again, I hope the commanders have their shit together on this op.

I have to believe that our beloved Pres. Obama is doing the right thing.

After all, "We the People, in our infinite wisdom elected him to rule over us.

And so far he is doing a bang up job. ...... :thup:

my-work-here-is-done.jpg

He has no right to send 3,000 of our troops into a place where there is A DISEASE with no known cure. Like I said, if there were 3,000 people going, they should be volunteers.

with our infinite wisdom and 38% favorable poll. After this it should be 19% .

He has no right to send 3,000 of our troops into a place where there is A DISEASE with no known cure. Like I said, if there were 3,000 people going, they should be volunteers.

They are volunteers:

I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

We could always look at this another way. Maybe Obama, after all these years, has finally realized that the US military is the only part of the government which can actually accomplish something. He needs them more than he needs the Treasury Department or the Department of Health and Human Services.

Ok....my brain fart is over....

Actually he's doing the left thing and taking the easy way out.

They are volunteers:

I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

I understand that oath and took it once. I'd do my duty and curse the Idiot who sent me there, and after my tour is up I'd leave the military refusing to serve under the orders of another imbecile CNC...........I got out under Clinton. I had no respect for him and got the hell out.

We have a right and a duty as the people of this country to QUESTION the CNC when he puts our forces in harms way. In this case an unseen enemy that may kill our people via a horrible disease.............

The Salute.............You Salute the Rank and not necessarily the person you are saluting. While our military will honor the respect of the CNC that doesn't mean they actually respect him.

They are volunteers:

I understand that oath and took it once. I'd do my duty and curse the Idiot who sent me there, and after my tour is up I'd leave the military refusing to serve under the orders of another imbecile CNC...........I got out under Clinton. I had no respect for him and got the hell out.

We have a right and a duty as the people of this country to QUESTION the CNC when he puts our forces in harms way. In this case an unseen enemy that may kill our people via a horrible disease.............

The Salute.............You Salute the Rank and not necessarily the person you are saluting. While our military will honor the respect of the CNC that doesn't mean they actually respect him.

Sure.

I was just replying to the post that implied that Enlistment in Military Service was not voluntary, or that it excluded an oath to obey the orders of CNC.

They are volunteers:

Sure.

I was just replying to the post that implied that Enlistment in Military Service was not voluntary, or that it excluded an oath to obey the orders of CNC.
They may have volunteered to train and fight for their country, and to obey their CiC and their officers, but I'll wager that very few of them expected to be forced to obey an order that needlessly put them at Ground Zero in a plague setting.

They are volunteers:

Sure.

Is there a difference between RIGHT or the AUTHORITY to send............He has the Authority and those who are ordered to go will go to honor that oath of office.............

That doesn't make it Right and sure as hell doesn't make those going happy about it. This is dangerous, PERIOD...........I believe the poster was making the case that we should GET VOLUNTEERS to help there and not force the military into a hot zone.

This will be the biggest mistake since the military went to help in Mogadishu. Aid workers are already being killed. They won't treat our military any differently and perhaps worse.

Eight bodies found after attack on Guinea Ebola education team Reuters

I hope to God I'm wrong. I believe our people will pay a price for this decision.
Yes. You may be right. With respect to our people who go over there - only to suffer violence and/or to be infected - and, potentially, the multitudes they infect once they return.

They are volunteers:

..Defend the constitution and against all enemies, foreign and domestic....and I will obey the of the whims of the President of the United States

Ebola are not enemies of the US and this order is nothing but a whim of the current President.

Forum List

Back